Going rate 727 rebuild.

-
Got a quote from another place in town, they said between 1200 and 1800 depending on what they find once they get into the transmission. So, much better. Plus they were friendlier and had no problem having a conversation. The other place was basically like what do you want, here is the price.

The torqueflite is a very forgiving transmission. You‘ll find most pumps exceed “spec” but still work. Shift timing on a street trans is about a mile wide and will still be “ok” by the butt-O-meter. That said I’m having a 904 done right now and the cost would probably make you lose your lunch. I recently went over 100 passes with an incredibly stock component 904 in my car running mid/low 9’s. I’ll spend that money for the peace of mind. honestly I can’t believe I haven’t broken a shaft!

I had my rebuild done on the bench with shift kit I supplied, installed, all other parts included with a Kevlar front band. To get a warranty, he did want me to buy a new torque converter, but I simply had one rebuilt up the road at a shop he trusted (Tampa Racing Converter) Guy was a Chevy dude from a Chevy drag racing family. Only thing I can really ***** about he didn't change shift shaft seal, I RnR'd the 727 and took it up there. First thing he said was "Y'all ready to go Racin' " lol
$300 but was over a decade ago. WHATEVER you do, No Ammco! Long story there
Re Aamco, in 2001 I had my 1965 727 BB cable-shift transmission out and needed a quick rebuild since got a new job and relocating. Took it to an Aamco on Buford Hwy in Atlanta and the manager said he had nobody on staff who could rebuild a transmission. So what do they charge $$$$ for? Had a Cottman further down Buford Hwy rebuild it, but they didn't fix my complaint of "morning sickness". For all I know, they just washed it off and never opened it. Once settled in California, I took it to a Cottman which said they would inspect under warranty, but turned out to be scammers. The "mechanic" showed a piece of broken cork gasket he tossed in the oil pan and said in broken English "bad clutch". They put the pan back on with the old gasket so I had to replace that at home since now leaking. I would see the same ~20 cars sitting in their front parking lot for a month as I passed (hostages?), then they went out of business (complaints to the State BAR?). That's when I decided to learn how to rebuild an auto tranny myself and did my Chrysler A-413 and A-604 since.

Last edited:
I used to drop mine off at our local hot shot (RIP) that did them out of his garage. Price was a couple hundred bucks. That was almost 50 years ago though so not a great comparison. :)

Re Aamco, in 2001 I had my 1965 727 BB cable-shift transmission out and needed a quick rebuild since got a new job and relocating. Took it to an Aamco on Buford Hwy in Atlanta and the manager said he had nobody on staff who could rebuild a transmission. So what do they charge $$$$ for? Had a Cottman further down Buford Hwy rebuild it, but they didn't fix my complaint of "morning sickness". For all I know, they just washed it off and never opened it. Once settled in California, I took it to a Cottman which said they would inspect under warranty, but turned out to be scammers. The "mechanic" showed a piece of broken cork gasket he tossed in the oil pan and said in broken English "bad clutch". They put the pan back on with the old gasket so I had to replace that at home since now leaking. I would see the same ~20 cars sitting in their front parking lot for a month as I passed (hostages?), then they went out of business (complaints to the State BAR?). That's when I decided to learn how to rebuild an auto tranny myself and did my Chrysler A-413 and A-604 since.
Alot of Scumbags and Crooks

Alot of Scumbags and Crooks
True, but California has strong consumer protection in their Bureau of Automotive Repair. They respond to complaints, often sending employees out in unmarked cars to validate that repairs are being done honestly and can impose harsh penalties. I suspect that is why the scammy Aamco closed. Back in the 1980's, most states had no checks on shops. Investigative reporters used hidden cameras to show that K-mart and Sears mechanics were just spraying cleaner on rubber timing belts rather than change them. A broken timing belt can ruin some "interference" engines. The monitoring raises shop prices (to fair rates), but most people prefer to avoid a cheap "timing belt replacement" which doesn't actually change the belt.

True, but California has strong consumer protection in their Bureau of Automotive Repair. They respond to complaints, often sending employees out in unmarked cars to validate that repairs are being done honestly and can impose harsh penalties. I suspect that is why the scammy Aamco closed. Back in the 1980's, most states had no checks on shops. Investigative reporters used hidden cameras to show that K-mart and Sears mechanics were just spraying cleaner on rubber timing belts rather than change them. A broken timing belt can ruin some "interference" engines.
I remember some of those shows that did the hidden camera thing. 20/20 and shows like that. Even though they broadcast it for the whole world to see, it rarely if ever made a difference. What it did do though, was give all mechanic shops a bad rap, whether they needed it or not.

A person writes in to ask a simple question expecting an informative answer and the forum proceeds to answer the question and tear him a new A**hole all at the same time. Not all of us are lucky enough to have worked on cars thru out their professional careers keeping up on all the changes. Same goes for transmissions. I've talked to transmission shops that wont even work on the 727's any more. Alot of use probably worked on our cars as teenagers but gave that up for career and family and just bought new cars as we went. Then there's the physical aspect of it as we are old now and the fingers dont want to do what they used to, not to mention thee back and knees. So pardon me if I have someone that knows what they're doing work on my car.

I know a guy who worked at both big chain you mention.
At both shippng trans gets pulled. No pump rebuild, just were emery the old steels, new clutches. Don't even take vavle body apart just put it back in with new clutches new seals/gaskets., filter.
Put back in, add new fluid and can of TRANS-X.

Unfortunately there aren't many mechanics working for the wages they made back in the day, when you could get a transmission done for $500.00. Everything has gone up these days, parts, labor, gas, food, beer, etc., etc. For those that say rebuild it yourself, great, if you have the skill to do it. Some say it's easy to do, and perhaps for them it is, for others maybe not.

I know a guy who worked at both big chain you mention.
At both shippng trans gets pulled. No pump rebuild, just were emery the old steels, new clutches. Don't even take vavle body apart just put it back in with new clutches new seals/gaskets., filter.
Put back in, add new fluid and can of TRANS-X.
I saw a lot of that kind of crap back in the day. Best one I ever saw was a shop that advertised a transmission filter/oil change and service for under 25 bucks. The only thing that was new on that service was a cork pan gasket, if he actually did the service at all. The object for the low buck job was so he could con unsuspecting customers into an overhaul. By the way 340six, this clown on his overhaul would do the same, the only clutches he would replace were those that were done and he always seemed to have a stash of used plates he pulled from cores.

I saw a lot of that kind of crap back in the day. Best one I ever saw was a shop that advertised a transmission filter/oil change and service for under 25 bucks. The only thing that was new on that service was a cork pan gasket, if he actually did the service at all. The object for the low buck job was so he could con unsuspecting customers into an overhaul. By the way 340six, this clown on his overhaul would do the same, the only clutches he would replace were those that were done and he always seemed to have a stash of used plates he pulled from cores.
Man, I can’t believe there is ppl like that around. How do they sleep at night? Kim

Back to the original poster's question $2k rebuild and R&R; rebuild properly and to customers need (shift kit or manual VB), adjust kd if required, and guaranteed or warranty, seems reasonable. I still R&R and adjust my trans because I can, (for now at least), but when I put them in I need them to work for sure, because I don't have enough umpf to do it again right away (ie. the same month), so I have an old friend that did them for a living do the rebuilds. I figure the R&R properly done is worth about $400 to $600 by a legit business in a big city, so $2k for a complete job done right is probably about right.

I asked the same question Kim to another, how shall we say, owner of a shady shop. This clown charged a lady customer around $1300.00 to "rebuild" a TH350. The rebuild consisted of> pulling the transmission from the car, washing it in the parts washer, changing the oil and the filer (using the cheap 2 buck plastic one from CHixx, a new pan gasket, and a paint job. He also rebuilt the converter by polishing the hub and giving it the rattle can rebuild. The main cause of issues was a governor gear. He told me he sleeps quite well on a stack of 100 bills.

I asked the same question Kim to another, how shall we say, owner of a shady shop. This clown charged a lady customer around $1300.00 to "rebuild" a TH350. The rebuild consisted of> pulling the transmission from the car, washing it in the parts washer, changing the oil and the filer (using the cheap 2 buck plastic one from CHixx, a new pan gasket, and a paint job. He also rebuilt the converter by polishing the hub and giving it the rattle can rebuild. The main cause of issues was a governor gear. He told me he sleeps quite well on a stack of 100 bills.
OMG

going rate around here is about 300 labor plus your kit. just added now- for a bench job.

Last edited:
:mad:

-
Back