got a forsale project going

-
i took these pics after the wiring,etc had been taken out.Also i posted before pics of my dash.As you can see,the young kid that had the car painted the bezels with spray paint,and cut up my dash,the radio bezel to be exact.Any ideas how to fix it?I am planning to redo the bezels myself with some sanding,primer,baseclear,but what about the radio bezels?Also,i didnt know these cars had the light group,but sure enough,there are map lights on it,and a key light too

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

Ive been sanding,and scraping,and taking apart this dart all weekend long.Ive got it almost all sanded down,except for one door jamb,and the trunk jamb left to sand before its etch primed,and urethane primed.Then,ill paint the engine compartment,and put the engine in.After that,ill start the body work on the outside.This body is not rusty,but i have to say that yellow paint sure did hide a lot of dents,and the fact there was at least 2 gallons of bondo on this thing.I guess who ever the body man was,didnt know what a hammer and dolley are made for,or they were a rookie,and just did the best they could to get by.Also in my sanding efforts,i found this car was at one time red,white and blue(b7 blue being the factory color)and it appears to have been painted this way early in its life,with acrylic enamel paint.The rest of the paint jobs including the yellow color seem to be a straight enamel,all i know is aircraft stripper would not touch it at all,seemed to make the yellow even harder than it was to begin with.Hopefully,tomarrow night i will be spraying some primer,so i canget the engime compartment painted,and the engine put back in soon

Last night,into early this morning,i got the hull of the car etchprimed,3 coats of urethane primer on,and the engine compartment sprayed with single stage black urethane.My drop light bulb blew,of course,about the time istarted to spray the black in my bro in laws dim shop.And at 1.30 in the morning i wasnt gonna go out to walmart for a light bulb.I got it sprayed,but i havent been able to go check it out today.Soon as i got off work,i had to go get the girls from school,because of tornado warnings,they closed the school early.So i cant wait until jennifer comes home,so i can go see what i have,i guess ill get a few pics of it,if its not too terrible looking

It didnt turn out as nice as i wanted,but this is mostly a driver,and i think after all the crap is bolted back in there,it will be ok,what do you guys think?Also a few pics of the primed hull.

71 dart engine compartment 001.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 002.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 003.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 004.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 005.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 006.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 009.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 007.jpg

71 dart engine compartment 008.jpg

the engine is finally in!I didnt have time to take any picks tonight,maybe saturday ill get some up.I also plan to put the 904 in saturday,if i can find a cross member in my junk around here.

The engine looks AWESOME!

I think the black of the engine compartment will work, once the extra stuff is done and bolted in.

My suggestion, the straight silver paint, is pretty bright. I would suggest more of an Argent paint, similiar to Ralleye wheels that is more grey then silver, as it is a little more of an OEM style color, as opposed to the "Chrome in a Can" that many of the silver rattle cans provide. Eastwood also has some of the colors that mimic "cad plating" that would be good for stuff like the brake booster, etc.

But actually its a silver eal close to viper silver.I dont like that chrome in a can stuff either,but since my aar type stripe will be viper silver,i wanted my other silver stuff the same color.I like it when everything goes together.Since im using 3 colors on this car already,i dont want to add more colors to have to buy/keep up with,lol

Its 11:00 pm sunday night,i just came in from putting the 904 in the car.I found a cross member under the yellow parts duster in the yard,so i laid in a few inches of water to take it out.I had to get my dart out of bro in laws shop,hes got some work finally,so the dart has to go outside.After enjoying the cold water parts robbing,(man i wish i had a garage)i cleaned the crossmember,painted it and the tranny mount,put the new poly bushing in it,and bolted it all in.I also cleaned and painted most of the floor pans black with spray paint before putting the tranny in,to make everything look better.Now im ready for the drive shaft,and exhaust,still got to run the braided fuel line,and mount the fuel filter,and electric pump i got from summit.Hopefully this week i can put the wiring back in,radiator/fan shroud,and i have to figure out were the line lock is going to go.

Tonight i started with the fuel plumbing,and engine compartment wiring harness.What a mess the wiring is in!I know all you guys are gonna say scrap the harness and buy an new one,but since this thing is modified,id prefer to fix whats usable,upgrade what i think it needs,and just run new wires were it needs heavier wire any ways(like the charging system)I got the fuel pressure regulator mounted,and the line lock is in place.Now i still need to mount the fuel filter,fuel pump,run the braided hose,decide if a fuel return is needed,get a mini starter,some exhaust,etc,etc,lol.Am i ever gonna here this thing run?

278.jpg

279.jpg

280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

283.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

287.jpg

289.jpg

Since i happen to have a brand new fuel cell i been holding onto for a while.I am in the process of running the fuel system,and i couldnt find a good place to mount the fuel pump with the stock tank,so i decided to go ahead with what i alredy have

summit fuel cell.jpg

sum-pumpkit7a.jpg

I wanted to see how the doors fit,the good trunklid i bought,and i also robbed the 73 front clip for now,so i can see ride height,and drive this thing around the block,when i ever get it fired up.i did get the trunk floor cut out,and fuel cell fitted underneath for a trial fit

and the stupid rain to stop!Every time i get a day off or something now,its raining cats and dawgs around here!There are some things i could be doing,but since my bro in laws work has picked back up,im back in the yard again.Im not complaining,i just wish this stupid rain would go to some of you guys houses for a while and let me get some more progress done on this thing.Im gonna do a post on how you guys have repaired your door strikers in the door jamb.I was thinking of replacing the whole part of the jamb out of the 74 duster,but i figure it will break sooner or later.I want a bullet proof fix.I have some 1/8 inch plate i was thinking of welding in the striker bolt area,maybe thatll do it?we will see,maybe,lol

Coming along nicely. I wish you some warm weather so you can git r done-dog gone it!!

Your going with the paint job of the Dart in your avatar right?

Its gonna run as good as it looks!

keep it up!

looks like a winner right there Toby !! Looks like a mighty fine project, hope all goes well with it. Man it looks like you have a nice piece of property there that can host many mopars on haha. I wish we had a piece of land like that to work on my projects.

Between rain storms,lol.I robbed the tuff wheel off my 71 roadrunner clone,cleaned it up the best i could(i thought they were suppose to be stainless)and got the home made manual/manual steering column put in for mock up.it all seems to work pretty good,wish i had painted it all now,and put the turn signal lever in so i wouldnt have to take it back out,lol.I still plan to drive it around in primer a little this summer,then rip it all back aprt next winter and paint everything(not the engine,or engine compartment,hope there done)and polish or replate what needs to be done to look like new.I need some instrument cluster parts,heater/ac controls,mine seem mighty sloppy,and they they seem to stick pretty bad.The radio bezel is all busted up too.Id like to find a black and silver cluster face,radio/heater bezel set up.I think mine was wood grain when new,i really dont like wood grain,but i wish who ever painted my original stuff had left it alone,so i could do it correctly,with base coat clear.

I wanted to check ride height,and get a hood on to keep the motor dry.But the dart sport hood with the factory holes in it dont block much rain.I havent got the scoop done yet,its aftermarket and didnt have a bolt flange on it,so im in the process of making it taller,but its not finished yet.Im painting a buick for a lady to make some cash for this car,but thats already spent.Maybe i will get this thing running someday.

029.jpg

Or old thoughts,either way,it could be a dangerous thing.Any ways,im thinking of veering away from the showcar thing.Ive been thinking about a 70s street machine theme,with cut out rear wheel wells,primer,old style gauges,antique tach.really wide rear steel wheels,with americans or something on the front maybe?I know of were i can get some old style racing seats,with the vinyl covers.What else can i do that im forgetting about?I know there are someolder guys on here that had some cool street machines back in the day,what did you do to yours back then?Or what did your dad do to his ride?Side pipes are out of the question,but i will be running side exit exhaust.Any body got pics of mopar street machines taken in the 70s?Preferably darts,but not specifically.Help me out guys!Got any old style stuff,like old tachs that still work,Old syle wheels,that need attention,etc?

I should get my exhaust this week,and suregrip for the 8.25 i have.So now i need a few more side jobs for the starter,alt brackets,fuel fittings,ring and pinion,and stall converter.Just a small list,i know,but i got to make some more cash to get this thing moving!

Would love to have one like you Toby. With my 30....no 29 as of today A bodies we could team up on these babies and turn some out, but do paint the engine bay the same color as the car. PLEASE. That black is for chevy guys. All i can say is Dude Your a ball of fire. When do you sleep?

i sleep a few times a week,secondly,the car is gonna be BLACK and orange.I dont do chevys around here,lol.See my avatar?thats gonna be my paint job.The whole car will be painted black,allowed to cure for a week or so,checked for any flaws or imperfections,then sanded down with 1000 grit,hemiorange base coat sprayed on top,viper silver aar stripes painted on,then lots of clear layed on till its just right.After that will come a week or 2 of sanding and buffing,untill i can see my bald head shining in the reflection.

It sounds like with all the cars you have,you should be able to find me a front clip for mine at a resonable price.I dont even mind if the lower fenders are rusty,there are patch panels for that.The problem is,the front end parts ive found are so far away,the shipping cost more than whats being asked for the parts,lol

-
Back