gotta go 3 inch

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Anybody out there do the full TTI 3 inch on a Demon or Duster? Getting ready to order and wondering if it's as tight as I think.

Currently running their 2.5 setup, which fits great....gotta go bigger now. Also have their stepped headers. 5 years now they still look great.

Wondering if there are other quality options out there allowing me to use a factory style tip?

Why go bigger?

90293d1265774832-exhaust-diameter-tuning-exhaust-size-tuning-guide.jpg

You got 650HP?

Tailpipes are the major pain to fit if you've moved springs inboard.

Why go bigger?
You got 650HP?

3" seems a benefit over 525 hp. What if he has 550? I'm asking for myself now too. Wondering if it's going to be worth it. I know that without strapping it to a dyno with both exhausts it's all just a guess, but what do you think?

Back pressure is also a factor when talking about exhaust too. I mean there is a reason why you dont see 5" pipes on any gas powered race cars (even though that picture above says you should).

I have a 3'' tti to the rear axel with flow thru's with my springs are moved in 1 '' i'm wanting to put some tailpipes on also .

I have 3" through the mufflers and 2 1/2" tailpipes. Works great! The exhaust gas will have cooled enough so the engine is not squezed. I also have 12" glass packs in the tail pipes to eliminate drone. The springs are moved in under the frame rails and the rear end narrowed 2". I have 3.23 gears. It ran 12.36 at Las Vegas with an adjustedl altitude of 4000'. I also have a 2500 stall torque converter I don't think that you will notice a loss in performance with the smaller tail pipes. Mine is a true street/strip car. I drive to and from the races and get 15 mpg on the road and 11 around town

I've got 3" with 3" mufflers w/2 1/2 tailpies on a stock stroke 360 making around 400 h.p. has gone 11.78..

I had a buddy that went to 3 inch on his 550 hp dart all the way back and it slowed the car down, he was pissed (a lot of money) just something to think about before dropping a wad of $$$

I had a buddy that went to 3 inch on his 550 hp dart all the way back and it slowed the car down, he was pissed (a lot of money) just something to think about before dropping a wad of $$$

Dual 3 inchers requires a bit of A/F correction,that's all. Maybe the headers are over scavenging now, and it went fat. Fat is slow.

that is very possible, we wont be able to find out until all this fricken snow goes bye bye

Have not moved the springs inboard. Don't plan to.

No I'm not 650 HP. Only 560. My dyno guy says it's time to ditch the 2.5 inch set-up, I believe him. Whole lotta trophies hanging around that shop....

Just was hoping for some real "fit" experience. I can tell ya I thought my 2.5 inch set-up is a little tight above the axle.

and the headers? did he advise you on those?
I to have the 3inch to mufflers, and then 2.5 over axle, and my springs are inboard.

I have TTI 3 inch all the way out to the rear bumper . Super stock springs in the stock position with a Dana 60 rear end .I had no clearance problems at all. This was on a 73 Duster.

Dustaar

Its not the TTI kit your talking about, but I have the 3" summit kit on my 70 duster and it took some trimming, but the fitment is pretty good. I used factory style tips also. Nice setup for the money IMHO

I have TTI 3 inch all the way out to the rear bumper . Super stock springs in the stock position with a Dana 60 rear end .I had no clearance problems at all. This was on a 73 Duster.

Dustaar

Thank you sir! Exactly what I was looking for.

Anybody out there do the full TTI 3 inch on a Demon or Duster? Getting ready to order and wondering if it's as tight as I think.

I run the full 3" TTI setup. You can't run factory tips as they are a restriction and sounds like crap. ?Read that as Chevy mid 80's pickup blat. It isn't tight other than the headers.

Tailpipes are the major pain to fit if you've moved springs inboard.

That can be said no matter what size tailpipe you run. However there are a few options I've found. One is to run the pipes through he springs if your car has the clearance. The other option is to run a different tank. You CAN run a undercar steel or aluminum tank. They actually make a bolt in tank that works.

3" seems a benefit over 525 hp. What if he has 550? I'm asking for myself now too. Wondering if it's going to be worth it. I know that without strapping it to a dyno with both exhausts it's all just a guess, but what do you think?

Mine doesn't make that much. Well, I don't know what it makes at the crank but it makes 314hp and 450ft'lbs at the wheels and goes 11.70's in full street trim. It loved the big headers and pipes.

I have a 3'' tti to the rear axel with flow thru's with my springs are moved in 1 '' i'm wanting to put some tailpipes on also .

The offset shackles don't affect the tails. The mini tub does.

I have 3" through the mufflers and 2 1/2" tailpipes. Works great!

I had 3.5 to 3" on my last car. It worked. I always thought that since the gasses as they cool shrink and dropping the diameter increases velocity it would work.

Dual 3 inchers requires a bit of A/F correction,that's all. Maybe the headers are over scavenging now, and it went fat. Fat is slow.

Mine went leaner when I went to 3

My dyno guy says it's time to ditch the 2.5 inch set-up, I believe him. Whole lotta trophies hanging around that shop....

I'd listen. My dyno guy runs 2.125 headers with 3.5 collectors on all of the big block mopars he tunes with and huge exhaust pipe connected to it.

You would think if you were going thru' the trouble to generate a guideline chart, that
you'd at least get the math right. The 3" pipe listed at 7.1in.sq. is totally wrong,it is MAX
6.492in.sq. if it is .062 wall tubing, less if it is .043 wall tubing. I've seen that error made
over & over, amazing, go 3" and you won't be sorry...from experience.
Go to Burns exhaust site, they give it to you straight, esp. regarding exh sytem length.

Oh yeah, the 462" Olds I built for a friend is running 3.5" all the way out back.

unbolt your collectors (leave 1 bolt) & slide the ex over. correct the AF ratio. take it out for some spirited driving. see what the butt dyno says.

I have a 408 in my duster. Runs 11.0 on 91 pump gas. Been running 3" with single chambers dumped in front of axle but am tired of the noise inside. The dust it makes and my kids having headaches. So I just purchased the JEGS 3" header to bumper kit. Mandrel bent. It's $241 with free shipping.

I have a 408 in my duster. Runs 11.0 on 91 pump gas. Been running 3" with single chambers dumped in front of axle but am tired of the noise inside. The dust it makes and my kids having headaches. So I just purchased the JEGS 3" header to bumper kit. Mandrel bent. It's $241 with free shipping.

Well I'm gonna have to check it out. I'm sure I could fit TTI 3 inch tips on the back with some trimming.

Did ya install yet?

Haven't installed just came in Saturday. I still need to order the 3" abody tips. Been looking around for them. Found some stainless knock offs for $43 each.

-
Back