Guitar???

-
Thanks for the welcome.. yeah I am familiar with the Eddie and Alex story.. when I was first getting into playing, I used to read every article I could find on Eddie, as well as the other guitarists I mentioned... I kept up with all the pictures that would be published of him, always noting any changes or modifications he would make to his guitars... once he left Kramer and went with Music Man, and then Peavey he kinda lost me.. lol.. I have played all of those guitars (including the Wolfgang) but never really liked them much.. Guess i will always be a Strat style man...

You know I have played all his various models of guitar.. never tried the amps though.. I have heard they were good.. maybe someday if I am in the market for an amp again I will give one a try

I remembered my camera last night when I went to pick up a pair of high hats and a cymbal where I get to play some music every now and then.
This is his collection and the electronic drums that are fun, but hard to get use to.
Take a peek.

let it rain 153.jpg

let it rain 154.jpg

let it rain 155.jpg

let it rain 156.jpg

let it rain 157.jpg

let it rain 158.jpg

let it rain 160.jpg

let it rain 159.jpg

Ive been in a couple music stores that didnt have that nice of a collection of guitars :-D Very nice Mike, thanks for the pics!!

I have known this young man about 21 years and he has never had less then three great four leggier friends in his home
He and his wife are some of the best folks around ,and play's Very well at 40 years young, I should have had a try pod for picture's or be still for no blur.

Let me welcome you SpeedracerX, Sorry If I missed you in the welcome
wagon thread, There sure is allot of MoPar musicians here along with some of the best of the best tec's here and some great folks too.
I am a CCR,SRV, Bad,Co and older rock and blues fart.
Glad to se another happy musician with us.:rock:

Bought this '79 Ibanez ST-50 for 200 bucks yesterday. sorry its sideways.

mask 001.jpg

I started playing "lap steel" when I was 7 (in 1945.) I was a country bumpkin and loved Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, and continued down that "country" path until I was about 15, when I discovered that it was indeed possible for a song to have more than three chords... Took me awhile...

I joined the high school dance band and started playing a conventional electric guitar (not in that order, though), a new Gibson ES125.

Got really into what they called "progresive jazz" at that time, and into drag racing about the same time, and never got past either one.

I have a lot of CD's but not much beyond jazz.... though I do love some of the Blues players (Howard and the White Boys' version of "Got My Mojo Workin" is GREAT, I think!), and Gatemouth Brown's original version of "Okey Dokey Stomp" is probably the best guitar solo I've ever heard...

I dig Steely Dan a lot, too.... got nearly everything they ever recorded, but most of the listening I did during my formative years was to sax players, like Sonny Stitt, early John Coltrane (but, not the later, modal stuff), Jackie McLean, and Red Prysock (who is really an R & B player... not actually jazz, but I love what he does!!!)

Currently, I listen mostly to an L-A based guitarist named Ron Eschete', who plays mostly in a trio setting, with an electric bass player and drummer. Ron has some you-tube offerings, as does his bassist, Todd Johnson. Ron plays 7-string, and Todd plays a 6-string elecric bass... They manage to make 3 pieces sound like 4... The you-tube videos demonstrate how they do that; it's mainly what Todd does, and it's amazing, I think.

I have just two guitars, a Fender Musicmaster short-scale solid body guitar I bought in 1966, and an Epiphone Zephyr (2006 model) that is actually a cheap knockoff clone of a Gibson ES175. It's not a bad guitar, but I'm sure the original Gibson would make it look like a piece of junk... It plays well, though and sounds okay, so I guess I shouldn't bad-mouth it; it's the only acoustic guitar I've owned since 1962.

I have a 1993 Fender Blues Deluxe amp that I play these two through. It's a reissue/clone of the tube amps of the '50s, with the same "look" of a '50s Fender amp, and works especially well, I think, with the solid body Musicmaster.

I play (at) bass, too, and own a 1974 Fender Mustang short scale bass, and a 2003 "Mexican" Fender Precision bass. The amp I bought for these two is a Hartke "Kickback 15", with a single 15" speaker that has some sort of metallic aspect to it; not sure exactly what... something to do with the speaker. It sounds pretty good for my purposes, with either bass... can't tell much difference between them.

I play mostly in small groups that play jazz standards of the '40s, '50s, and '60s.... and we don't usually get too loud. Small clubs are our staple, although we don't play for a living; just as a hobby that pays a little money.

I'd LOVE to play in a LOUD blues band sometime.... just never get the chance.

Attached are a couple of pictures of some of my junk, and one of our group playing at the Afterthought, a sometimes-jazz club in Little Rock (Arkansas.)

Music is ALMOST as much fun as drag racing my Mopar... but, not quite!8)

Bill, in Conway, AR

epiphone4.jpg

100_2279.jpg

afterthought.jpg

It's not a bad guitar, but I'm sure the original Gibson would make it look like a piece of junk... It plays weell, though and sounds okay, so I guess I shuldn't bad-mouth it; it's the only acoustic guitar I've owned since 1962.

Bill, in Conway, AR

I wouldn't worry about it.... the Gibson is like $3000 more! lol

Been a while since I checked in on this post.

Cool amp Mullinax by the way.

I was over my Mother in Law's house for Thanksgiving and my Bro in law wanted me to tune up this old ratty guitar they found at a garge sale so I tuned it up and started goofing around in drop-D and used a stone slide I had in my pocket.
There were a few strangers there from my Mom in laws workplace that she invited.
It's cool when you can take a ratty old guitar and make it do things it was not intended for, he, he.

I was getting into whatever I was playing and it was one of those moments that kinda take you by suprize and you play something you never played before that just comes out because the sound is so different than the guitar you are used to playing so you just run with it, yeah, it was one of those moments.

I noticed the television got quiet and all the talking in the room stopped so I kinda faded to an end and looked up, and everyone in the room was looking at the guitar with their jaws on the floor and I started laughing and said "what the heck was that?"

My Mother in law's boyfriend who always makes me play my guitar for him when he comes over said "I never heard that one before."

I said "Me neither" and we laughed about it.

I love those moments.

Sometimes I can pick up the guitar and nothing really different comes out and I get bored and quit, but there are other times when I get posessed by the guitar god's and just "play."

Now if I had the patience to learn how to read music and even tab, I would be dangerous.
I just don't have the patience.

Been a while since I checked in on this post.

Cool amp Mullinax by the way.

I was over my Mother in Law's house for Thanksgiving and my Bro in law wanted me to tune up this old ratty guitar they found at a garge sale so I tuned it up and started goofing around in drop-D and used a stone slide I had in my pocket.
There were a few strangers there from my Mom in laws workplace that she invited.
It's cool when you can take a ratty old guitar and make it do things it was not intended for, he, he.

I was getting into whatever I was playing and it was one of those moments that kinda take you by suprize and you play something you never played before that just comes out because the sound is so different than the guitar you are used to playing so you just run with it, yeah, it was one of those moments.

I noticed the television got quiet and all the talking in the room stopped so I kinda faded to an end and looked up, and everyone in the room was looking at the guitar with their jaws on the floor and I started laughing and said "what the heck was that?"

My Mother in law's boyfriend who always makes me play my guitar for him when he comes over said "I never heard that one before."

I said "Me neither" and we laughed about it.

I love those moments.

Sometimes I can pick up the guitar and nothing really different comes out and I get bored and quit, but there are other times when I get posessed by the guitar god's and just "play."

Now if I had the patience to learn how to read music and even tab, I would be dangerous.
I just don't have the patience.

Thanks spaz!

I have found by looking up tabs on the internet that I can do pretty good. But the most beneficial thing I have found besides learning my chords is YouTube. There are guys on there that show you in depth how to play different songs. It's like having a teacher at the house and it's free. They even show different techniques to make the sounds that your are "looking for". Patience is something I've never had. But when I watched the video of a fellow showing how to play "Crazy Train" the other night and I started playing it ... with it sounding good ... I start to have patience. lol The amp I have already has the preset for "Crazy Train" so that helps a lot.

Mullinax95 wrote:

"I wouldn't worry about it.... the Gibson is like $3000 more! lol"

That was definitely a prime consideration of mine when I decided which of the two to buy.... I can buy a lot of goodies for my Valiant with $2,400.00.... :)

That might just get me the proper forged-piston shortblock I need so I can turn up the BOOST!!! Boost is addictive... :)

Bill

Wow 13 year old nerco thread! Here’s some of my junk recently. Have some other gits to show off if you guys want to see them.

I love that vintage Marshall 2045 2x12 cabinet, sounds freakin’ amazing with the ‘70s 25W black back speakers.

The Laney LA30BL took some getting used to but I love it now, especially with the Big Muff and Beano Boost running through the low input. Tony Iommi!
111AE4AD-11C7-4407-8495-B632398C2AB6.jpeg

im not a guitar player, but it looks like its been a good 5 years since i shared "my" guitar story (im a drummer, well, im not, but i enjoy playing drums, anyway)

so gather 'round, throw another ibanez on the fire and listen to my tale of the '59 Les Paul

a friend of mine has a 59 Les Paul

it musta been 15 years ago now he had decide to have it refinished/tended to
the topcoat had worn through from all the playing and there were a few little screws missing
he had heard from a friends friend about this guy who had known Les personally who supposedly had some original hardware laying around to replace the missing screws

well, it took the guy months and months to get the guitar back to him and my buddy was starting to think he would never see the guitar again (now remember, this was before the scamdemic and turn around times were generally short, but it was also before email and all that, and a lot of correspondence still went through mail and it generally took a while to hear back from people)

until one day the doorbell rang, UPS with a special delivery
on the box was a little note from the guy who fixed and refinished the guitar apologizing for the delay and that he hoped what was left under the topcoat would make up for it

my buddy opened the box and found all the missing screws replaced with original hardware and a beautiful shiny new top coat
underneath the top coat was the unmistakable signature of one Les Paul

apparently the guy fixing the guitar actually did know Les and he had happened to come by his shop while he was working on my buddies guitar
they got to talking about the axe and when the guy expressed his frustration about how long it took him to get it back together (he had a hard time finding the right hardware) and Les decided to sign the guitar to make it worth the wait for my buddy

just a few years Les died

Same here @diymirage , I have been pounding on skins for 50 years, I don't play as much as I use to, but I do carry my hi hat, stool,snare to my gear head friends place and keep time and enjoy playing country music, we do sneak a few old rock songs in some times. I enjoyed your story and am glad your friends guitar made it back to him.
Been messing around with a stand up bass of late, fun times my friend. Fun times

-
Back