Has anybody tried Freeze-12?

-

unreformed66

redscamp72
Reaction score
I've been looking into this stuff as an R-12 replacement and was wondering if anybody had actually used it and if so what your experiences are. I'm just really not feeling switching to R-134a, unless there's just no reasonable alternative.

.............I know a few guys using it,seem to like it.....i actually think the po of my 89 ram put that into mine...works excellent....kim.........

Everything I have ever read or heard, says stay away from that stuff.

Hmmmmm...

I have 3 cans of this stuff sitting on the shelf. I would definately like to learn more about this stuff too. :read2:

Works good. Hydrocarbon based like enviro safe. Been using it since R-12 went away.

The thing to look out for when using "replacement" freon is the propane / butane based stuff. Yes, that's right people are have propane / butane put in there A/C units. I am not that interested in putting anything flammable in my A/C.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna try it. It's not actually for my Scamp, but for a 1986 Mustang GT convertible I bought for a driver. Gotta have A/C, you can't have the top down all the time. It will burn you up on a sunny day!!

I read an article comparing this stuff to other available refrigerants and the risk from a flammable gas is almost irrelevant since the oil used to lubricate the compressor is flammable anyway and would be atomized if there was a leak (could start a fire whether or not the refrigerant is flammable). Plus there is no oxygen in the A/C system anyway so I'm pretty sure it couldn't just spontaneously explode the car into shrapnel.

I think the problem is if there is an evaporator leak and the stuff gets in the closed passenger compartment.

I've converted many R12 systems to R134a without incident. Just use about 2/3 of the required R12 charge and the ester oil and you should be good to go. They may not cool as well at idle but they still get the job done.

I've been looking into this stuff as an R-12 replacement and was wondering if anybody had actually used it and if so what your experiences are. I'm just really not feeling switching to R-134a, unless there's just no reasonable alternative.

There is a product in canada called DURACOOL (Google it). It is a direct replacement for R12 Freon and it works better than the original.

We charged my 84 Dodge Ram with it. We didn't have to evac the old R12 out of the system, change the dryer or ANYTHING and the AC blew colder than it ever has!

It is also cheap ($8-$10) per can.

After that, I researched it and yes, IT IS PROPANE based and it is flammable. It is not really approved for US use but they will ship it to you.

If I ever have an R12 system I will use it again. The explosion risk is not as great as the one provided by 15 gallons of high test gasoline.

-
Back