Has anyone tried these heads?

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I was just wondering if anyone has tried a set of these. Mopar Madness has them up all the time.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-SB-Heads-360-EARLY-2-02-1-60-Port-and-Polishd-OEM-Dodg-340-360-318-REPL-/380577970099?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item589c36f7b3"]Mopar SB Heads 360 Early 2 02 1 60 Port and Polishd Dodg 340 360 318 Repl | eBay[/ame]

Flow numbers didn't excite me.
Those stock heads are still avaiable at junk yards, depending on where you live.
I have not tried or heard of anybody trying/using those particular heads from those people.

Contact members OU812 or MRL for a better head in price and flow.

WTH do they mean "flows close to a popular J head?" Am I gonna pay them money for porting a head that will flow the same as .......................a factory J head?

I'm not too much in the know about flow rates ect. I think I have the exact same heads in my bedroom but mine are Js and I'm getting them made to 2.02s

The flow numbers don't look bad to me at all for what they are...plus the price. But, visually the exhaust floor looks low? I know looks can be deceiving though...like the Magnum intake ports...:D, but...

I'd take those flow #s with a grain of salt. Lowered exhaust floors are one of those things that make me go hmmm. Doubt that the exhaust ports would even match alot of header flanges. At $750 each, I'd pass.

There is a general rule in porting. The floor is lava! Don't touch it or your going to get burned.

I'd take those flow #s with a grain of salt. Lowered exhaust floors are one of those things that make me go hmmm. Doubt that the exhaust ports would even match alot of header flanges. At $750 each, I'd pass.

x2. I really don't like the look of the porting on either side - 267/198 sounds way high for what I see. Also note the "business" is for sale.

Isn't a 587 head basically the same thing as a J head?

Yep, pretty much. It was used on the early to mid 1970's on the 340 and 360 engines. Many years ago, what, 8-10 years? We were experimenting with the head and they would flow like the ported J head.

The porting is so expensive to get a factory iron head to flow like that so why bother? We haven't done any testing on those heads since back then.

Purchased a set of heads from this place and all i can say,due to being naive and didn't follow my gut instinct i payed the price with one engine wiped out, $6000k.When i removed the heads and i took these to a pretty good local machinist, which i should have done (valuable lesson learn"t) he couldn't believe how poorly done these were assembled,valves too tight in the guides which caused valve to break at the base and you can imagine the end result.Valve tips were all at different heights,to his credit he did use decent parts but the work to set them up were pretty bad.I Emailed him a report which my machinist typed up on a company letter head to explain what happened and what caused it, with pictures he never replied which i expected! probley why he is trying to sell out due to his **** work and the come backs...AND he is supposed to be this Mopar Guru!!! Man i would not let him put oil on my push bike chain.As the saying goes got reamed good and proper with out the Vas! Once bitten twice shy.

Agreed on the new head / price issue.

As I said earlier, when you contact OU812 or MRL, they can get you new iron head castings done that flow better at a great price vs. older stuff with questionable work and advertised flow numbers.

For that guys asking price, I'd walk away.
I didn't like the exhaust port matching.

Purchased a set of heads from this place and all i can say,due to being naive and didn't follow my gut instinct i payed the price with one engine wiped out, $6000k.When i removed the heads and i took these to a pretty good local machinist, which i should have done (valuable lesson learn"t) he couldn't believe how poorly done these were assembled,valves too tight in the guides which caused valve to break at the base and you can imagine the end result.Valve tips were all at different heights,to his credit he did use decent parts but the work to set them up were pretty bad.I Emailed him a report which my machinist typed up on a company letter head to explain what happened and what caused it, with pictures he never replied which i expected! probley why he is trying to sell out due to his **** work and the come backs...AND he is supposed to be this Mopar Guru!!! Man i would not let him put oil on my push bike chain.As the saying goes got reamed good and proper with out the Vas! Once bitten twice shy.

Like that video I put up some time ago about Edlebrock heads. I couldn't believe how many things were wrong. Even parts were missing!! What I think I will do is just get these J heads I have done to 2.02s and that will be fine. I know the people at the shop well and they won't screw things up.

Purchased a set of heads from this place and all i can say,due to being naive and didn't follow my gut instinct i payed the price with one engine wiped out, $6000k.When i removed the heads and i took these to a pretty good local machinist, which i should have done (valuable lesson learn"t) he couldn't believe how poorly done these were assembled,valves too tight in the guides which caused valve to break at the base and you can imagine the end result.Valve tips were all at different heights,to his credit he did use decent parts but the work to set them up were pretty bad.I Emailed him a report which my machinist typed up on a company letter head to explain what happened and what caused it, with pictures he never replied which i expected! problem why he is trying to sell out due to his **** work and the come backs...AND he is supposed to be this Mopar Guru!!! Man i would not let him put oil on my push bike chain.As the saying goes got reamed good and proper with out the Vas! Once bitten twice shy.
I bought a 340 from this company website said $400 to upgrade from 360 to 340 block then quoted $600 & increased to $900 on the final invoice build was 340 E/Q heads Comp roller cam,roller lifters & 1.5 roller rockers ,eagle ibeams .
once i received i removed the masking tape & fitted a vacuum 650 Holley upon start up motor had a loud clatter shut down after 30 seconds & like you removed the heads
He have fitted KB243 pistons with E/Q heads & a .039" head gasket 3 pistons hit the head the other 5 were full of swarf & destroyed the pistons.Once i stripped the engine i found 4 of the spiral locks were hanging out.
Also machining swarf trapped in the main bearing shells.
John apologized & sent new pistons & rings which i sold as it had to be bored as machinist commented it looked like they had honed it with a drum sander
The machinist had to redo the complete motor yes they use the good parts but wouldn't have a clue about build quality.This was all on a engine that come with dyno results
but no engine number to prove it was for the motor tested.
all i used on the new build was the block, camshaft ,lifters & heads
i see the business is for sale but what does he offer he is working from his carport.
It took around 6 emails to get him to send a build sheet avoids all support paperwork for his builds ask you to call
Its strange how he loses so many emails
I guess the fact that his eba site is mostly written in red says it all.
Beware

I bought a 340 from this company website said $400 to upgrade from 360 to 340 block then quoted $600 & increased to $900 on the final invoice build was 340 E/Q heads Comp roller cam,roller lifters & 1.5 roller rockers ,eagle ibeams .
once i received i removed the masking tape & fitted a vacuum 650 Holley upon start up motor had a loud clatter shut down after 30 seconds & like you removed the heads
He have fitted KB243 pistons with E/Q heads & a .039" head gasket 3 pistons hit the head the other 5 were full of swarf & destroyed the pistons.Once i stripped the engine i found 4 of the spiral locks were hanging out.
Also machining swarf trapped in the main bearing shells.
John apologized & sent new pistons & rings which i sold as it had to be bored as machinist commented it looked like they had honed it with a drum sander
The machinist had to redo the complete motor yes they use the good parts but wouldn't have a clue about build quality.This was all on a engine that come with dyno results
but no engine number to prove it was for the motor tested.
all i used on the new build was the block, camshaft ,lifters & heads
i see the business is for sale but what does he offer he is working from his carport.
It took around 6 emails to get him to send a build sheet avoids all support paperwork for his builds ask you to call
Its strange how he loses so many emails
I guess the fact that his eba site is mostly written in red says it all.
Beware

Sorry to hear you got nailed as well,at least he replied and sent you pistons i never received a reply.He only gets back to you asap when theres a sale involved. Its a very expensive leaning curve but you move on,i just rode it off and started again and made it better this time around.Found a top machinist who did all the work as i supplied all the parts and he did the assembly,now it runs as it was suppose to.Good luck and keep us posted !

WOW........... I almost considered contacting this guy when I was looking for a center section for the Dart Sport a couple of months ago. But I must have a good gut, because I didn't like the way he worded his auction. I could not make heads or tails of it. I am so glad I just went ahead and built my open into a true trac. Thanks for the heads up. FABO needs to have a " do not buy from sticky ".

His rating details show he has been selling 8 3/4 shock plates with u bolts for $179! Yikes that seems expensive. It does show several people have bought them at that price.

Yes, I always wondered about the %100 rating also.

You and me alike i was stumped that he hasn't had any bad reports that showed on his feed back,we even tried Google to see if there were any bad reviews and found nothing??...

Kind of strange he has 100 rating on Ebay. :???:

Yes, I always wondered about the %100 rating also.

Every year e-bay resets it's feedback #'s for everyone to 100% so the guy could conceivably have 1000 negative feedbacks and yet it not show up if it was over a year ago when he got them. In other words their FB system is a big pile of crap.

I usually don't buy anything very expensive off of e-bay but if I do find something that looks like a good deal I research the seller and if I don't find anything bad I call him and see if he'll do a direct sale with me paying by credit card. If he won't do it that way the purchase doesn't happen. Paying by credit card is much safer than paying by PayPal IMO.

-
Back