Head flow and power differences question / discussion

-
Norm, I like your style. If you need help building a bigger dog house, let me know, I’ll be happy to help.

I’m still not sold on TrickFlow heads. After seeing two good ports, (298-300) one bad port (280) and one super turbulent port I’m not sold on them. I’ve really only seen one good running set and that belongs to a member here.

I’m still not sold on TrickFlow heads. After seeing two good ports, (298-300) one bad port (280) and one super turbulent port I’m not sold on them. I’ve really only seen one good running set and that belongs to a member here.
Thanks for your input John. I’ve been wondering when you would post. I know you mentioned before that Indy heads are the way to go

550-600 to me, means I’ll be happy anywhere in that range or close to it.
I get that, but doesn't help with your question, 550 hp and less trick flow all the way, 600 hp plus Indy, 550-600 hp you could use either, 550-575 hp I'd lean trick flow 575-600 hp indy but also is a peak hp rpm of 6500-7000 rpm engine streetable to you ? It might be everyone is different, what about if you run 3.23-3.55 gears?

Trick flow the more streetable choice especially since your not overly concerned about the hp goal as long it's 550 hp or better but you could also just cam and gear it for the indys you got.
Is it worth buying a set of heads over ones you got? could always swap down the road if not happy with the indys.

It's all a series of compromises.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input John. I’ve been wondering when you would post. I know you mentioned before that Indy heads are the way to go

The Indy heads for sure need ported as they kinda suck bad stock. The 245 Indy head can be an animal if they don’t leak and I’m not really fond of their exhaust port. Trouble is that if you get them ported there’s not enough material to fix it the way I like.

The Indy heads for sure need ported as they kinda suck bad stock. The 245 Indy head can be an animal if they don’t leak and I’m not really fond of their exhaust port. Trouble is that if you get them ported there’s not enough material to fix it the way I like.
What I have are the 360-1 top end port and polished from Indy.
They claim 339 @ .700 lift

http://www.indyheads.com/images/t_pge/360_tech.pdf

We've made just under 580HP with them, using a hyd. roller cam! But they need work, they were not ootb heads at all. Compression was 10.7:1.

I did watch this last night.

Excellent video. Most happy he put that up.
I get that, but doesn't help with your question,
Sure nailed it down for me. You are splitting it hairs. He gave a generalization. Over 550 up to 600. Work with it. If you could, put together a combo that exceeds 550hp but not 600.
You’re a wiz right? Knock it out.

It's all a series of compromises.
[/QUOTE]

What I have are the 360-1 top end port and polished from Indy.
They claim 339 @ .700 lift

http://www.indyheads.com/images/t_pge/360_tech.pdf
The one thing missing is the camshaft specs of what is being used, unless I missed it. Rich Holdner explained everything really well IMO. While the 210cc’s of the Indy head are greater by 20cc, more than just a fair amount larger, the stroker should still do well with it. I’m not to sure about a single plane use w/3.55 gears and a smallish cam would be a great idea but a TF head and a moderate cam would really be good on the street.

We've made just under 580HP with them, using a hyd. roller cam! But they need work, they were not ootb heads at all. Compression was 10.7:1.

But it’s not work the average guy can do. From what I’m seeing their cnc program or setup needs tweeked. That one port was so bad I couldn’t even use it to flow test a customer’s intake manifold on it. And the second port affected the outcome of the second flow test. If I remember it took about 8-10 minutes to fix that port to get it where it SHOULD be. But you would almost have to test every port to find the issue. Or you could turn your back and ship it as is like they did.

The one thing missing is the camshaft specs of what is being used, unless I missed it. Rich Holdner explained everything really well IMO. While the 210cc’s of the Indy head are greater by 20cc, more than just a fair amount larger, the stroker should still do well with it. I’m not to sure about a single plane use w/3.55 gears and a smallish cam would be a great idea but a TF head and a moderate cam would really be good on the street.
Sorry, the cam will be a custom ground solid roller. My builder had one made last year for my current 340 stock stroke. The cam guy took all the details, including altitude (5000’) and gave me a cam card and cam that made 400hp / 400 tq with a airgap and a Holley 650. This was only dynoed for break in not tuned for max power.
I am running a Edelbrock tunnel ram with two 660 center squirters.
The cam was designed for the tunnel ram.

Sorry, the cam will be a custom ground solid roller. My builder had one made last year for my current 340 stock stroke. The cam guy took all the details, including altitude (5000’) and gave me a cam card and cam that made 400hp / 400 tq with a airgap and a Holley 650. This was only dynoed for break in not tuned for max power.
Is that corrected HP or uncorrected?

Here is one of the dyno sheets. I know he said it was a bad weather day( humid). So, correct me if I am mis understanding this, I believe this is corrected. Thanks Brian
Is that corrected HP or uncorrected?

IMG_9178.jpeg

If I were looking for 600hp I’d run the Indy set up. My view may be skewed though.

Dude! You rock! Twin center squirters on a street tunnel ram, dang! That’s awesome.
If I were looking for 600hp I’d run the Indy set up. My view may be skewed though.
LMAO - “Skewed!” LOL! I like your car.

I am curious how much difference does let’s say 30-40 cfm of head flow make in HP.

Example: N/A small block 416 cu. 11.5 / 1 +/- compression

With a set of heads that flow 325 +/- compared to heads that flow 293 +/-

Everything else on the engine would be the same,intake,carb(s), cam,headers,ect.

Will the different heads be noticeable driving on the street or on a dyno only?

(edit)
What I am really trying to find out is, is there such a thing as too much flow and after a certain number, does the power curve go flat ? Or, is it always best to have the highest flowing heads available?

Let me know your thoughts and if I forgot mention anything.

Thanks in advance.

Another good post that we can all learn from.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We are really blessed today. Heck we can make 600 plus horsepower with Speedmaster heads, Edelbrock heads, or TrickFlow heads. Move into an offset rocker and 650 plus horsepower is there with the right combo.

Ok then, I didn’t want to do a poll thread and I appreciate everyone’s input.
Before this thread gets stale, let me know what you would use if you haven’t or, let’s hear it again.
The Trick Flow heads are within reach but, I would need to buy rockers and stud kits also. (not a huge deal).
The Indy heads are in my garage and I have everything needed to install them.
They were recently refreshed by Indy with around 8-10 passes on them.

Thanks again A Body family.

[SOLD] - Indy 360-1 Heads, Top End Kit
What’s the story on the Indy heads.
I bought them here. They were on a 6 second dragster I’m told.

Interesting thing is the gentleman who owned them originally lives 20 minutes from where I work. I’ve tried finding his phone number but I have an address and plan on stopping to see if I can catch him at home.
He did come in second at Bandimere this past summer so he is still racing. I was told he pulled the small block for a hemi.
That’s what I know so far. The heads have been off the car for 6-8 years or so.

IMG_0745.png

-
Back