Header coatings, how necessary?

-
We use nitro playing for our headers and after making these headers and 1600 dollars in them I think it's well worth it and the best part is that we have run this engine for 30 minutes straight and 5 minutes after shutoff I can hold my hand to the pipes and not be in pain

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Attachments

• photo_001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 126
A 60° day in Denver is gorgeous. 50° in Denver is short sleeve weather if you are outdoors. The sun feels warmer than the humid weather in other states.

The meridian/ path of the sun changes, so it's arc is lower in the sky, during the winter, so the rays contact at a much steeper angle to our atmosphere... However, even though we are in a steeper angle, which causes our winter, the sun is physically closer to us, and because we have less atmosphere up here to filter the ultra violet, our UV index jumps in the winter.

So, the air is cold, but the sunlight is warm.

As far as jet coating goes;

It has more to do with what you'd like to see with under hood temps, than anything.

Any reflective coating will do it's job. There is a guy up in Golden that will do a set, inside and out, for around $100-150, depending on the tube length and overall square inch coverage. He does them inside and out, as well as piston tops, skirts and other parts, to help with oil and heat shedding.

I think you should do it, if for no other reason than to lower under hood temps, but I'd suggest having them done locally, because it's far less expensive and you don't have to ship.

Josh used VHT on the new header of his Honda CB650 and it chalked after about 2 months.

Cool thanks for the info Dave I'll keep that local guy in mind. I'm thinking of in the meantime pulling the headers I have, cleaning them to get off the teeny bit of surface rust, and then coating the outside either professionally or spray-can. I'm also gonna try to cut off the current header collectors and weld back in some bigger ones myself, I'm sure that alone would give me an extra 15-20 HP as the current ones are no bigger than 2" maybe even smaller...

Thinking more about it I could really stand to reduce my underhood temps as I now get minor fuel percolation idling in traffic even when it's not hot outside. I know a plastic carb spacer would fix that but I currently have less than 1/8" hood clearance, need a scoop and a hole in the hood before I can do it. I know I'm losing efficiency with the engine breathing hot underhood air as well.

EDIT: 67 prostreet gt I just noticed you're in Bellefonte, I grew up in State College btw and have some cousins currently going to Penn State

-
Back