Header recoating in SoCal

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought these a while back, decided to get them recoated.

Took them to a place called Young Guns Coatings in Rancho Cucamunga. They did what appears to be a nice job, cost was $190 for both inside and out.

that is a very good price...i will give ya 250 bucks for the headers....and free shipping of course...

Well it's only about 150 miles more one way to phoenix! LOL

Applied? Coating near downtown LA is around $200 in and out with that thermal coating inside. Might be $25-50 more if the headers were already plated and need to be stripped.

Young Guns sounds familiar. Like the place our Circle Track chassis builded uses.

Is that thermal coating? I have some TTI headers that I purchased, but the guy decided to chrome them....so they are slightly rusting and the chrome looks like crap. Now I have to get them De-chromed and then thermal coated.

Applied? Coating near downtown LA is around $200 in and out with that thermal coating inside. Might be $25-50 more if the headers were already plated and need to be stripped.

Do you have their info? I would like to check out both places.

Uhhhhhhhhh ... okay Ed, if you say so. Check out the only online review I could find about the place.

http://www.yellowpages.com/phoenix-az/mip/affordable-powder-coating-co-8092814

on the attack so fast cudachick! we have had at least a dozen sets of headers, my own personal set of headers, and my own personal firearms coated there...

we have never had an issue's of any kind. Only issue I had was some parts for my 1911 came out a little off to the color square and they drove to my house (almost 40 miles away one way) and picked them up, fixed them, then drove back out and delivered them at no charge...

all of there stuff has a lifetime warranty and they stand behind it from my experience. lastly every time I go there the yard is FULL of parts to be done and finished parts and they look awesome and flawless... everything from motorcycle parts to pre-runner bumpers to headers, anything and everything...

so just because you find one review from 09 you start bashing other powder coaters. seems lately your a little over stressed as you deleted my facebook post as well...

I used Jet Hot in Tempe once....did a header on my sport bike. 65k miles, never a problem.

they are the company that did the frame for my bike......glad you have had good luck with them.....a future project is going to be stripping the bike down and getting the frame redone....

when did you have it done? I wonder if they either got new people in there or new management since we/I have been using them.

on the attack so fast cudachick! we have had at least a dozen sets of headers, my own personal set of headers, and my own personal firearms coated there...

we have never had an issue's of any kind. Only issue I had was some parts for my 1911 came out a little off to the color square and they drove to my house (almost 40 miles away one way) and picked them up, fixed them, then drove back out and delivered them at no charge...

all of there stuff has a lifetime warranty and they stand behind it from my experience. lastly every time I go there the yard is FULL of parts to be done and finished parts and they look awesome and flawless... everything from motorcycle parts to pre-runner bumpers to headers, anything and everything...

so just because you find one review from 09 you start bashing other powder coaters. seems lately your a little over stressed as you deleted my facebook post as well...

Overstressed, absolutely! (But that's a story that isn't fit for FABO so I'll keep it to myself ...)

But Ed, it was the ONLY review I could find about the place you recommended, and InkJunkie's comment below just furthers the cause. If they were so great I should have been able to find a few more like yours.

I am not in the habit of bashing other places ... I'm just playing the devil's advocate and trying to educate the masses. There are powder coaters on almost every corner these days it seems, and from what I've seen and heard not only from my own customers but from online reviews like I posted above, most of them don't seem to have a clue ... they practice on other people's parts and then throw their hands in the air when it turns out less than spectacular.

they are the company that did the frame for my bike......glad you have had good luck with them.....a future project is going to be stripping the bike down and getting the frame redone....

^^^ As I was saying ... :-D

It's just like shopping for anything else: Caveat emptor my friend!!! Do your research, ask your friends, read reviews from other people, and then spend your money where you think it's best. I'm happy that you've received great results and are delighted with their work. It doesn't appear that everyone else is though.

Overstressed, absolutely! (But that's a story that isn't fit for FABO so I'll keep it to myself ...)

:violent1:

But Ed, it was the ONLY review I could find about the place you recommended, and InkJunkie's comment below just furthers the cause. If they were so great I should have been able to find a few more like yours.

I certainly agree but on the flip side there should be more negatives to, which there isn't...

I am not in the habit of bashing other places ... I'm just playing the devil's advocate and trying to educate the masses. There are powder coaters on almost every corner these days it seems, and from what I've seen and heard not only from my own customers but from online reviews like I posted above, most of them don't seem to have a clue ... they practice on other people's parts and then throw their hands in the air when it turns out less than spectacular.

that is certainly true, there are a lot of them.

^^^ As I was saying ... :-D

It's just like shopping for anything else: Caveat emptor my friend!!! Do your research, ask your friends, read reviews from other people, and then spend your money where you think it's best. I'm happy that you've received great results and are delighted with their work. It doesn't appear that everyone else is though.

as I said I wonder if they have new people working the place. everyone there is very nice and will answer all your questions, and in my experience put out great work. maybe I should write a review to balance it out lol

when did you have it done? I wonder if they either got new people in there or new management since we/I have been using them.

it was a while ago......beginning of 06.

Quick question.....the coating that they apply to headers....is it just a powder coat or is it a thermal type of coating? Used to help a drag racer that had his headers done by Jet Hot. He could make a pass, come down the return road and park it. By the time I got the hood off and the battery charger hooked up the headers were cool enough to handle bare handed.

it was a while ago......beginning of 06.

Quick question.....the coating that they apply to headers....is it just a powder coat or is it a thermal type of coating? Used to help a drag racer that had his headers done by Jet Hot. He could make a pass, come down the return road and park it. By the time I got the hood off and the battery charger hooked up the headers were cool enough to handle bare handed.
powder coat wont hold up on headers. these are thermal type of coating but I don't know exactly what. greg has cars that are 10 years and older with this coating and not a flake or bubble on them, and these are regularly driven street cars (our hemi darts), but yes they keep under hood temps way down and cool really fast

They also do piston and valve/port/combustion chamber coating that is amazing, we lost 20* engine temp with a full coating! full coating being piston skirts and tops, both valve's (not sealing area obviously) and exh ports.

The only problem I had with the Jet Hot stuff was when I changed the oil/filter on the bike if I did not wipe the oil off the header completely it would stain it next time it got hot. Guessing that all the coatings will do that though. The collector on that bike was right under the oil filter. Was able to wipe the outsides of the pipes but not in the junction. Could not really see the stain, just p*ssed me off. The coating was VERY durable, the header was only a few inches behind the front tire. With it being a sport compound radial it flung all kinds of crap onto the header. Not one chip or nick appeared over the years.

Just called and confirmed that Young Guns in Rancho is the place Racecar Factory that builds lots of local circle track and other cars uses. And that's were our raceteam gets stuff done too. Been using them for 3-4 years now. They get lots of headers and exhaust systems done and they have tried others and shopped around quite bit.

Do you have their info? I would like to check out both places.

OK. Just found the card.

Engineered Applications Inc.
4727 E. 49th St. Vernon, CA 90058
866-637-9211

They do ceramic polished like crackedback's above and black and white. And all optional with that internal thermal coating inside the tubes. IIRC, the internal coating was not that much more.

I very carefully match ported the headers to my exhaust ports before having the headers coated. That way anywhere I cut would be protected by coating it later. Just any little excess just on the flange. With the TTI headers it was very little material. IIRC, half the ports I didn't have to touch.

-
Back