Headers for a small block dart with power steering?

-

ratty dart 340

Reaction score
Hey there, I have a 1973 dart sport H code car. The 340 is long gone, but it has a 1971 360 in it. I am thinking of putting some headers on it, but I have power steering. While watching an episode of Roadkill, they mention they had to custom fit a set of headers because they also had power steering. I have done some looking online, but can't seem to find any that will fit without custom fabrication. My question is, is there an after market set of headers that will fit a 1973 dodge dart sport, with power steering? Thanks.

Yes, I have a 68 dart with power steering (and power brakes and the huge old school starter if that matters) and it came to me with a set of headers. So I can tell you they exist but there are no identifying marks on mine so I can't give you any specific info on them. Adding on to that, I am not a fan of how the drivers side headers are routed (#1 goes over the top of the rest of the tubes alongside the valvecover then shoots down with #7 at the back of the motor. And I don't remember if it is #3 or #5 that goes the long way around the drag link meaning that if I ever want to change headers, I need to also remove the drag link from the car.) I have seen Doug's headers at car shows that fit MUCH nicer in my opinion with a small block and power steering and I believe the only "modification" needed is to swap to a mini-starter. I don't know the exact model of those headers though... Good Luck!

Yes, I have a 68 dart with power steering (and power brakes and the huge old school starter if that matters) and it came to me with a set of headers. So I can tell you they exist but there are no identifying marks on mine so I can't give you any specific info on them. Adding on to that, I am not a fan of how the drivers side headers are routed (#1 goes over the top of the rest of the tubes alongside the valvecover then shoots down with #7 at the back of the motor. And I don't remember if it is #3 or #5 that goes the long way around the drag link meaning that if I ever want to change headers, I need to also remove the drag link from the car.) I have seen Doug's headers at car shows that fit MUCH nicer in my opinion with a small block and power steering and I believe the only "modification" needed is to swap to a mini-starter. I don't know the exact model of those headers though... Good Luck!
Interesting. I also have power brakes. The headers must exist, especially if you have a set. I will keep looking online. Thank you.

Patriot headers will fit pretty good.
I put a set on a 73 dart sport with power steering and 4 speed with just a minor tweak to the pressure line.
But like most of the lesser expensive headers,they do hang low.

From what I recall, Hedman makes or made an inexpensive set that the drag link went through as mentioned, and TTI made the good set that went "behind the steering linkage". the TTIs weren't cheap though. I'm not sure if this is still the case, I don't know if Hedman or TTI is still in business or if these mentioned headers are still made. My experience was, cheap Hedmans with 2 1/2 inch pipes, passenger side bottomed out especially if there was a passenger int he car, the header collector ends up smashed flat on the right side. I have since put factory style exhaust on my car just to avoid the scraping and bottoming out.

From what I recall, Hedman makes or made an inexpensive set that the drag link went through as mentioned, and TTI made the good set that went "behind the steering linkage". the TTIs weren't cheap though. I'm not sure if this is still the case, I don't know if Hedman or TTI is still in business or if these mentioned headers are still made.

headman, hooker, flowtech and all the other cheep headers are built the same where the steering linkage goes through the header and the header hangs low.. dougs an tti go over the linkage and do not hang low.. you also have the tri y's from schmacher that don't hang low.. not cheap though..

I have Hookers Supers but are the same 50 70 year old design. If my wife was behind the wherl.it woukd have one header. They do clear everything. Power. Require 6 statght boot plugs and 2 angle.
May do Doug's when the Stoked 340 goes in.

If I'm not mistaken, the Roadkill reference was a set of TTIs for a big block Duster correct? Small blocks offer a bit more room for clearance than a big block ever will!

Patriot headers will fit pretty good.
I put a set on a 73 dart sport with power steering and 4 speed with just a minor tweak to the pressure line.
But like most of the lesser expensive headers,they do hang low.
I have Patriot headers also and power steering. They do hang low on the driver's side. I raised the front end a little and I haven't had a problem with ground clearance since then. I also changed over to a mini starter which I really like. They seem like a quality header… Except for how the passenger side pipes angle out for apparently no reason so I had to make a couple of sharp turns in the exhaust to make it go through the cutouts in the transmission member.
20190729_204033.jpg

20180516_194810.jpg

20180516_194737.jpg
Overall , for the price, I like the headers.
DODGE Patriot Exhaust H8211-1 Patriot Full-Length Headers | Summit Racing.
Give them a call and see if they have them for your application.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will make some calls later today. I like the Schumacher Tri y’s but they are pricey.
Here. The site says a smaller starter along with a shorter oil filter. I would rather do that I think instead of trying to fabricate a cheaper set of headers. Still not sure with a price tag of $1,100. Also still unsure on the end goal of this car.

901C61B6-29A1-483D-8981-E96B37DD1CB4.png

CEE16657-57A8-4A81-AD8F-0C823A09A11A.png

I have TTi headers on my 75 Dart Sport, 360/727 with power steering, no problems. I had them on my 70 Dart, same powertrain and power steering, also no problems. Follow the instructions to the letter and you will have no trouble installing them.

I have TTi headers on my 75 Dart Sport, 360/727 with power steering, no problems. I had them on my 70 Dart, same powertrain and power steering, also no problems. Follow the instructions to the letter and you will have no trouble installing them.
Interesting. I was looking on their website and they say you need to have a modified z-bar. Did you have to do this?
Link:Tti headers

Dougs D453 on my 70 Dart
1/2 inch higher with washers, drivers side motor mount
No washers passenger side stock /6 torsion bar very close to tube , my new 1.03 torsion bars will not fit without dinging a tube
Still, coupler and tubes very close to ps box would need a heat shield and or a cooler

Just bought an aftermarket manual box 16.1 ratio, stainless coupler on order

It appears that the same headers on A bodies have different fitment, due to the lack of quality control on construction, which makes up to 1/2 inch difference, which can be significant

This will be my last complete build, I want to drive it and not need to frig with it !!

Last edited:
these patriot headers are just the same old cheap header design. been around for ever. hooker, headman, flotech...etc...etc...etc are all made that way,,

1665512932493.png

these patriot headers are just the same old cheap header design. been around for ever. hooker, headman, flotech...etc...etc...etc are all made that way,,

View attachment 1715996764
I paid about $450 for them with ceramic coating which fit my budget. I knew they were going to hang low like old school headers so I was prepared for that. The design appears to be the same as a lot of others as you said. As I've said before, I believe header companies could put out a better product but they don't care because we keep buying em and we keep perpetuating the idea that headers aren't designed to fit perfectly and we should accept the fact we will need to do some dinging and modifying to make them fit. It's the "right of passage" to have headers.

Can't tell you the number of cheap headers I've seen on an A body that hung too low, and got crunched

careful ya you listen to on that show. for a couple of mopar fans they spew quite a bit of mis-information about putting a mopar together. sometimes i find myself shaking my head with what is said on that show.
They had a 440 in it.

Those patriot headers are ****, plain and simple. Mine got crimped shut by simply driving around a banked corner that had a slight rise in the center of the road. A ***** to install and the only satisfaction you'll ever get will be the day you cut em out and swear off em forever.

Doug's are superior and I had ZERO issues installing mine. TTI's are also peer reviewed and seen to be consistently good. I had new motor mounts. Your mileage may vary.

Quit watching the dipsticks on TV or, at the very least, stop taking build advice from them.

Last edited:
I paid about $450 for them with ceramic coating which fit my budget. I knew they were going to hang low like old school headers so I was prepared for that. The design appears to be the same as a lot of others as you said. As I've said before, I believe header companies could put out a better product but they don't care because we keep buying em and we keep perpetuating the idea that headers aren't designed to fit perfectly and we should accept the fact we will need to do some dinging and modifying to make them fit. It's the "right of passage" to have headers.

i was just trying to put the information out there.. i kept hearing patriot headers and thought they were something new. just want people to know they are just another name making the same old hang low design. that being the case shop for any of the cheap hang low headers and maybe find a set on sale and go with the cheapest ones ya can find.

i was just trying to put the information out there.. i kept hearing patriot headers and thought they were something new. just want people to know they are just another name making the same old hang low design. that being the case shop for any of the cheap hang low headers and maybe find a set on sale and go with the cheapest ones ya can find.
I found a set of those on Craigslist brand new for something like $85 in 2009. The guy looked at what it took to install em and decided he would rather take the loss lol

Yeah, the TTI's are well out of my price range. I've fought with lots of different headers and got them in but they didn't look as good as when I started, lol. It might be my imagination but the Patriots seemed a bit heavier duty than some of the cheaper ones I've put on. Either way, I agree with you that a lot these headers are copycats and that part just sucks because they'll never improve on the design in my humble opinion.

I have the Schumacher Tri-Y's on my 73 Sport 340. No issues with the power steering buy I did need to ding them to clear the steering box (it's a Borgeson unit) on the driver's side and the steering linkage on the passenger side.

I have the Schumacher Tri-Y's on my 73 Sport 340. No issues with the power steering buy I did need to ding them to clear the steering box (it's a Borgeson unit) on the driver's side and the steering linkage on the passenger side.
Ok very good to know. I might have to order some here soon. Thanks

-
Back