headers

-

dudeman601

Reaction score
i have a 64 valiant witha a 5.9 magnum, and a 727. i have a late model magnum starter, latermodel master cyliner (put disc brakes up front)and the transdapt engine swap mount kit. everything else is pretty much stock minus the normal stuff to swap a v8 into a 6 car. now i have been researching different headers, and i need some advice. what should i get? if im going to spend a ton on headers, i dont want to spend another ton on a starter. i want to try not to run fenderwells because of the limitations i would have on tire clearance and over all ride height.

Regular 1 size fits all headers should work just fine. They will allow for a stock starter, old OE or newer mini.

Dougs made headers for the early cars from the start so I would say Dougs. TTI also makes headers for the early cars. Point to think of is the 67 and later headers are for a wider body.

You are going to be limited to TTI's or Doug's for under-chassis headers, Mark. The other option is the "Spit-Fire" header......if you can find a good set. I understand Laysons is the only place you can get them now unless you can find a set on EBay. Matter of fact, check if both sets of under-chassis headers will work with the 727. One of them is, I think, 904 specific.
Bob

I ran a set of Dougs fenderwell headers in a '65 Barracuda back in 1999. They looked great and worked well except I only had about 80% steering capability because the tire would turn into the pipes. I just finished another "65 Barracuda /6 to V8 conversion. I am running a built 904. This time I went with TTI under chassis headers. The design is spot on. I couldn't be happier. You have to remove the torsion bars and the steering column to install them but they fit perfectly. They clear everything with no bumps or rattles and no "dimpling" to adjust surrounding sheet metal. And, they tuck up tight underneath. You have easy access to the starter with the TTIs. You cannot use a stock starter, however. You can use a Mopar mini starter on automatics. You can get one for under $200. Stick cars will have to use a clockable mini starter. Even if you have to pop for the mini starter it is worth it. You also have to notch the trans crossmember. It comes with instructions and a template and took less than 20 minutes to do. I believe others are running 727s with these headers but it'd be best to check with TTI.

Attachments

• DSC04891.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC04892.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 252
X2 on the TTI's Phil. Do you have a 904 or 727? I think the 727 requires the clockable starter. I used the McRobb unit and it works great. What is that finnned aluminum piece on your drivers side?

X2 on the TTI's Phil. Do you have a 904 or 727? I think the 727 requires the clockable starter. I used the McRobb unit and it works great. What is that finnned aluminum piece on your drivers side?

I have a built 904. The finned gizmo is the trans fluid cooler.

I have a built 904. The finned gizmo is the trans fluid cooler.
That trans cooler looks great. Do you run it on the street?

OP- Non fenderwell options are very limited as others have pointed out, and they're all expensive. You have;
1.) Spitfires- No longer manufactured but you can find 2nd hand sometimes. Layson's makes them now also but they are $500+
2.) Dougs
3.) TTIs

And show us some pics of your 64!

MoparPhil, what size torsion bars are you currently running?

I'm still using the /6 torsion bars to help the nose come up and transfer weight to the back.

subcom said:
That trans cooler looks great. Do you run it on the street?

Yes, the trans cooler can run on the street. It's a lot easier to plumb than a front mounted cooler and seems to cool a bit better.

-
Back