Headliner install

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Not many topic on this. Im trying to talk myself into doing a headliner. Mine is a 72 and bow style. Front windshield out Id like to keep the back in if I could. Anyone got any thoughts or tips on this?

I have to agree with the others. I had opportunity to watch professionals do the job in variety of vehicles when I was a kid. I've done it myself 3 times.
If myself and others did provide tips and links and all the info you need to complete the task, Later on when another poses the same question, You too would submit the same advise you first received, "hire a professional".

Don't be afraid to do it yourself. I did my 383-s fastback and it turned out awesome. It wasn't that hard. Heck, you can mess up a couple of times for the price that a "professional" will charge.

Expect it to take longer than you'd think. I've done about a dozen or more bow style headliners and I can tell you to get it looking right, it is an all day job. The windshield being out is a BIG plus. One thing that I use to help out are a bunch of small/medium sized spring clips to pull the sides and hold them in place while I am stretching and pulling. Also, when you remove the roof mounted accessories, put the screws back in place (and pretty snugged down) so that you can make your life a little easier when it come time to put the clips, mirror, overhead light and visors back on.

mopar muscle has a great article. I dont really have the funds to hire it done at the moment. Also ive kind of prided myself on doing almost everything on my build which is my first build ever. Its kind of a theme ive gone with. Thanks Gary I did actually watch a video and can see where those spring clips come in handy along with some good paint sticks. I get the theory behind the screws to make it easier to find the holes when your done good tip i wouldnt have thought of that till it was too late.

Don't be afraid to do it yourself. I did my 383-s fastback and it turned out awesome. It wasn't that hard. Heck, you can mess up a couple of times for the price that a "professional" will charge.

Fast Back Barracuda's have one of the easiest headliners to install as they are pretty square. That being said... I know you are not working on a FB.

I would save the cash and hire a pro, leaving the back glass in will make it harder. A pro will give you a nice tight installation like this......

I did mine in Rex. But it isn't perfect. It doesn't show the final result, but here is my page and a link to a site that I referenced while doing it. I have some wrinkles in the back by the rear window. I think if the glass was out I would have done a prefect job. The front wasn't as bad because it is a straight pull, but the back has a few angles to get it tight.

The sight I read for help on the install....
http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

The page in my thread:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969822098&highlight=headliner#post1969822098

I do them professionaly all the time. I also get to redo owner failed attempts alot.
If you don't have the funds to get it done you will have to have a go at it.
If you take your time and really pay attention to what is going on and how the materials you are working with react and are meant to be used you can have good results.
I will say as a warning, I couldn't begin to tell you how many guys come back wanting me to fix
their headliner saying no matter what the cost it would have been worth it. Convertible tops the same thing.
I have been doing this work for over 30 years and to do them right it takes me about 5 hours to make them perfect. Expect it to take a first timer much longer. Some are easier than others. A lot depends on the quality of the material as to how difficult the job will be.
I have tryed to teach employees the skills needed for decades and not one has taken to it or could do a professional job I could sell.
You have to look at it like this. If someone else can do it their can be no reason I wont be able to do it also. If you don't have that mentality and alot of patience your best getting experienced help.
I believe you either have it or you don't. Can't be scared or you are already beat.

Take the glass out that's part of the job. Center the bows in the headliner and don't cut the listings no more than necessary.
Strech front to back first. Be very careful when locating screws thru fabric. If you work it right you won't need a heat gun and I don't recommend them as they can melt the grain in the vinyl fabric. The wrinkles from being folded up in the box will work them selves out on a hot day. Steam is a safer way if you Dont want to wait for a hot day.
I learned to do this work for the very same reason you are doing yours now. I couldn't afford
to pay the labor. Being desperate is to your advantage in this case it forces you to take the challenge on yourself. Many guys I have met learn the difference between being broke or being cheap on a project like this. Hope this helps you end up with good results with your Mopar.
It is a hard thing to teach on a page like this but if you have any questions just shoot me a pm.

I have done a few, and some cars are harder to do then others.. I will say this. Don't buy the cheap headliners! I highly recommend a headliner from Legendary . It cost much more but trust me it is well worth it. I just did one in my 69 fb barracuda. Tried one headliner made in US for $65 and wasted hours and hours only to buy the Legendary headliner. In minutes it was 80% done. My car has all glass out. I can't imagine trying to do theses cars with the front and rear glass in! SSBA has great advise .Hes right on, on how to install. I recommend lots like 40 small spring type clips . Lots of patience don't rush it . I get it up there and , stretch and clip it up. come back next day and finish it. good luck

I just did a Google search. Read up on it then went to town. Not hard just takes time and patience.

I paid someone to do my Notchback and after watching him do it in the garage. I will gladly pay him the 250 to do it again - lol. I would probably attempt to do a Fastback though since it doesn't have the dome light or sail panels. I will say remove it from the package and lay it in the sun for a day or so to get the wrinkles out of it and aid in flexibility of the material (or so I was told).

these might be your friends.
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/a7672.html
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/nova/parts/k17000.html

I had the guy come to my shop he was done in less than 2 hours, and it looks great 125.00 done .

I will say remove it from the package and lay it in the sun for a day or so to get the wrinkles out of it and aid in flexibility of the material (or so I was told ).

Great advice!!!

Thats exactly what I was told when I asked about it . They layed in sun for about 4 hours.

I had the guy come to my shop he was done in less than 2 hours, and it looks great 125.00 done .

Car would have to of been previously disassembled and not fully assembled when he left.
Less than two hours? Headliner only, yes on some cars.
Complete job with glass and all trim being removed and cleaned up then reinstalled will take longer and cost more than 125.00 in this decade and country.
Posted his glass is still installed. Apples and oranges. Don't want to be misleading here.

No doubt, I paid 250 and had the seats, trim and glass out of car. He only installed headliner and the dome light. I thought, after seeing it done - 250 was a gift! lol And that was a deal from what I had been quoted...

Car would have to of been previously disassembled and not fully assembled when he left.
Less than two hours? Headliner only, yes on some cars.
Complete job with glass and all trim being removed and cleaned up then reinstalled will take longer and cost more than 125.00 in this decade and country.
Posted his glass is still installed. Apples and oranges. Don't want to be misleading here.

No doubt, I paid 250 and had the seats, trim and glass out of car. He only installed headliner and the dome light. I thought, after seeing it done - 250 was a gift! lol And that was a deal from what I had been quoted...

$250 is a gift! Here on Long Island NY they want between $500 and $700. Now you know why I did it myself?

Mike ,don't know where in NY you are? But nobody near me charges close to that number!. :???:

I was told bot to rebuild my,own motor but I did and It runs. Also rebuilt my first transmission from a video and it works too. No doubt in,my mind I could figure out a headliner. I may pay twice to learn but that's how I've learned. Nobody around to teach me so I read, watch how to videos and ask a million questions just so I can say yup I did that. Thanks for the input my my money is more valuable then my time when it comes to this stuff.

-
Back