Heat or humidity?

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Heat or humidity? Which is the one making us uncomfortable? We don't have a/c....we will be getting a mini-spit next year probably. Right now the thermometer is saying 85* with 37% humidity. I can remember being in AZ with the temp at 85...January & February or so....with the humidity being in the single digits and being comfortable. Right now it is not hot in the house but it is a bit uncomfortable....is the humidity causing it? I have a good size de-humidifer from when I was doing some indoor "gardening". Bit unsure of bring it in as it generates a fair amount of heat.
I understand that part of what an a/c unit does is to remove the humidity. A neighbor had a mini-spit for his indoor "garden" and it was pumping water out if it. Granted, it was also drying out his plants as we went thru a noticeable amount more water with his garden....

The humidity prevents your body's sweat from cooling you when it and the temperature are both high. If the humidity is low, then you can just evaporate water for cooling (even out in your yard at the patio). The way to do that is a fine mist sprayer on your garden hose.

Lower temperatures will make you feel cooler faster, even if the humidity is high.

Go jump in a lake!:cheers:

It's both temp and humidity. And, since we mentioned AC it's important not to vastly oversize AC units. What can happen is that the AC will be so big that it will short cycle and force the temperature down before the AC removes much humidity. The result can be a cold clammy feel in the house..........cold and wet. A smaller unit runs longer, and dehumidifies much more before really having an effect on the temperature.

I grew up in this part of the country, and we never "thought" of needing AC in our house and had none in any of the cars until just before I joined the Navy in 68--Dad bought a 66 Ponch I think Bonneville. It was used, he would not have "looked for" AC it just happened to be equipped.

It's both temp and humidity. And, since we mentioned AC it's important not to vastly oversize AC units. What can happen is that the AC will be so big that it will short cycle and force the temperature down before the AC removes much humidity. The result can be a cold clammy feel in the house..........cold and wet. A smaller unit runs longer, and dehumidifies much more before really having an effect on the temperature.

xactly!

Humidity for me. It can be 80 and humid here in Iowa and I'm miserable. I went to Vegas where it was 110 with very low humidity. I was fine. Humidity just drains me immediately.

I like this one better.

Attachments

• humidity.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 161
We usually have a dry heat here in eastern MT, but I remember working in Missouri one summer. We would walk outside at dawn and instantly we wet. 100 degrees by afternoon with 80%+ humidity working in a 3ft deep hole in the ground. Gag...

The high end A/C systems have a dehumidify setting. Most people set it around 40-50%. It runs the compressor and blower on low speed to draw out more humidity. Mine is set on 50% and it's 74 inside and it feels cold when you walk in. People would be shocked when I would take a reading with my hand held temp/RH meter and show them. Their T-stat was showing 72 and it's clammy as hell because someone sold them a 5 ton unit on a 1500 sq.ft. house, and they have 80% RH. Bigger is not always better. Older systems can be retrofitted with a thermidistat that would give a setting for RH control.

I'm in north central Kansas this week visiting relatives. It was a 107 when we got here with little humidity. Didn't really feel bad decent wind. Where I'm from in northeast Indiana it will be 90 with a 100% absolutely miserable. You can walk outside and sweat just getting the mail.

We have both. It's common here for the temp to be in the 90s and humidity over 75%.

We have both. It's common here for the temp to be in the 90s and humidity over 75%.

I spent about a year going to a Navy RADAR school at NAS Glynco, GA. HATED the weather LOL

Part of our classes were in the old wooden blimp hangers. They are some of the largest wooden hangers in the world. They are something on the order of nearly 1/4 mi long, and I think about 300ft high. I should say "were." One of them burned (lightning?) a year or two after I left, and they tore or burned the other one down

glynco_hangers_03.jpg

wubya wubya teu years

blimphanger2.jpg[img]

Humidity...we started the monsoon season this year already.....I would rather have it 105 and 7 % humidity then 95 overcast and humid

67Dart273.....here is a picture for you...stopped last year in Tillamonk Oregon....this still have one of the old airship wooden hangars....air museum inside..

and it was humid there too....but alot cooler...

Attachments

• IMG_0930a.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0956a.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 122
That's Purdy cool, Del. You know, I've read that some blimp hangers are so large that they actually have their own weather systems pop up inside them. A thunderstorm in a blimp hanger. That's cool. lol

I spent about a year going to a Navy RADAR school at NAS Glynco, GA. HATED the weather LOL

Part of our classes were in the old wooden blimp hangers. They are some of the largest wooden hangers in the world. They are something on the order of nearly 1/4 mi long, and I think about 300ft high. I should say "were." One of them burned (lightning?) a year or two after I left, and they tore or burned the other one down

wubya wubya teu years

quote]

neither one is bad as long as its in the shade or in the house.

I grew up in a very humid place and I remember always feeling like I just got out of a tub of water even just walking down the street.

Then I moved to southern Colorado and its soooo dry and comfortable....but the heat is only comfortable in the shade. when I spend too much time in the dry sun I start seeing stars and then get a bloody nose, then I feel really sleepy.

-
Back