Heater box, core, fan and control removal

-

Dusterb318

Reaction score
Do any of you guys know if the heater box, core, fan and controls can all be removed from my Duster without pulling the dash out? I don't have the heater core plumbed in any more so why carry around the extra 40 pds or so.

I believe you can take it apart piece by piece from the inside by first removing your glove box liner (take off the door, then remove the liner).............this will give you more ease in sight and subsequent removal.

There are a number of thin steel clips that hold the 2 halves of the box assembly together.........remove them all, and the unit will come apart. There may be a rod on the right that holds the unit UP into the dash, with a retaining nut.

Apart from removing the rods and actuators, it should be relatively simple from there. Loosen the motor by removing the nuts from the outside, and it should come out through the inside of the box assembly (there were a few different styles.....not sure if all are the same).

Make a decent delete plate for under the hood for good looks.......shouldn't be too difficult........

.......just get used to standing on your head inside the car during removal, and I would recommend a good pain killer for your backache.......................have the wife or girlie stand by too, to pull you out of the car as your muscles stiffen.

Thanks PastorTom.......I have some Percocet left from when I broke my arm so that is covered. I think I might pull the front seat out to help with laying down then.

Yes, Just pulled a set up from a 73 Duster non a/c and a 71 Dart with a/c, all with out removing the dash!

Dusterb318 said:
I think I might pull the front seat out to help with laying down then.

Definitely pull the seat. I just spent a full day under the dash of my 73 and having the seat out helps a bunch. Good luck.

Well I got the heater box and stuff out last night......only took me 30min. I didn't even pull the front seat. I took the fan nuts off and took that little plate over the heater core tubes off and gave it a little push and the thing fell out on the floor. I think somewhere along the cars life the heater core was changed and no one hooked up the mounts to the dash. So today I'll make some block off plates and get them installed. I don't have a scale at home but by using my calibrated broken arm I think the box weighs around 15 pounds total. I can't believe how much room under the dash that gave me. When I re-wire the car I am definetly gonna move the 6AL box, Retard control and RPM selector under the dash.

Well here is what I came up with over the weekend to block off the heater controls:

Interior4.jpg

Interior5.jpg

Wicked interior!

I was thinking about leaving my heater box and stuff out too, but I guess I'm screwed if my windows fogg up right??

Any tricks for foggy windows and no air to blow defrost on them?

-
Back