Heavy Duty Clutch Pedal Assembly Value

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
I purchased a box of A body 4 speed parts from a guy in my town, and in the box was 3 separate clutch assemblies. (It was a big box, with 2 bell housings, Hurst shifter mechanism with shift rods, re-chromed shifter handle, and some small parts). I got to work by taking each one apart and taking them down to bare metal. They were then coated with rust inhibitor, the pins were greased, and bushings replaced.

It was during this time that I realized that one of the assemblies was a bit different than the other two. It had a larger over center spring that connected to a pin instead of the standard duty hook. It had a larger pivot pin for the brake pedal and a larger pin on the clutch pedal.

I was telling my father about the parts I got, and he quickly told me that it was most likely a heavy duty clutch assembly.

So, my reason for this post is to ask these questions...

Can anyone tell me:
1) Are these heavy duty clutch assemblies any more rare than the standard duty ones?
2) I am going to be using a McLeod or Centerforce clutch, which I understand does not need an over center spring. So, is there a benefit for me to keep the heavy duty assembly (without the spring), or would the standard duty perform at the same level?
3) Obviously, I don't need 3 clutch assemblies so I'll be selling 2. Any idea of what the heavy duty assembly is worth? Just a fair price, good for buyer and seller. Not eBay price.

Pics below... I've included one pic of the over center spring vs a standard duty spring. Also, forgot to mention that the clutch safety switch is included and the return spring functions.

Thank you for any input.

P3021864.JPG
P3021865.JPG
P3021868.JPG
P3021869.JPG
P3021870.JPG
P3021871.JPG
P3021872.JPG

Your title says clutch assembly, but you're inquiring about pedal assembly. IMO you might want to add the word pedal to better attract your target audience.Notice you're on page 3 already with 71 views but no responses. I have a feeling those viewers came, looking for a clutch.If you're unfamiliar, the clutch is bolted to a part of the engine.

If you're sure about getting a diaphragm clutch, then you can sacrifice the HD pedal assembly, otherwise I vote to keep it, unless offered a good buck for it. Your next clutch if there is one, might not be a diaphragm.

Your title says clutch assembly, but you're inquiring about pedal assembly. IMO you might want to add the word pedal to better attract your target audience.Notice you're on page 3 already with 71 views but no responses. I have a feeling those viewers came, looking for a clutch.If you're unfamiliar, the clutch is bolted to a part of the engine.

If you're sure about getting a diaphragm clutch, then you can sacrifice the HD pedal assembly, otherwise I vote to keep it, unless offered a good buck for it. Your next clutch if there is one, might not be a diaphragm.

Valid point, I will change the thread title. Thx AJ

The HD pedals were mostly for use with the Borg and Beck style clutches. Those looking for a restoration piece might give a good price for it. However, diaphragm clutches have come light years ahead of where they once were, so the Borg and Beck, while certainly not obsolete, is almost no necessary anymore. In other words, you will be waiting for that "just right" buyer. It's certainly not going to make you rich.

Search for long ago posts by Oldmanmopar (all run together no spaces) he posted some info on the differences, the 340 cars "I think" had slightly longer throw (movement) and were "beefed"

Here

pictures of pedal assemblies 340 vs. others

You have to click the black arrow to get the photos to display

The heavy duty assembly should have needle bearings as opposed to plastic bushings. It is generally a better piece and you should keep it.

Pm me if you are interested in selling one of the bellhousings.

@jonn6464 have you tried the search function? With just a few keystrokes I found 12 pages of info related to the words "Clutch pedal" and many were sale threads. . Most often these "How much is it worth" threads turn into a sale thread and that's sidestepping the sale rules and difficult for the staff to monitor.

Just my two cents. Mine= '68 cuda BB restoration. My understanding is that there is maybe three different swing pedal assemblies for this car. They range from light duty to heavy duty. On a BB car, the swing pedals have needle bearings instead of bushings and an over-center spring support bracket as seen in one of your photos. I don't know if these pedals were used on 340 cars. While the heavy duty pedals are somewhat scarce, most guys don't care as they are going to use a centerforce clutch and will be eliminating the overcenter spring. The only ones that would be interested in the heavy duty pedals would be those that are doing a very correct restoration. On the other hand, those guys are out there. My car has the original pedals, Borg & Beck clutch and it has points.

The later ones (75-76), while interchangeable down to 67, are different in that the brake pedal arm is "flat", as pictured (pic from the net).

001.jpg

-
Back