Hellcat crate motor in 68 Dart?

-

savoy

Reaction score
Just wondering outloud what k frame would one need to fit this into a dart? Regular small block tubular like a QA1 which still runs torsion bars or??. Thanks.

Prolly something like a RMS Alterktion or a HemiDenny unit.

I'm not sure you'd fit it under the hood though. I know my 6.1L is tight in my Duster.

Riddler

Hood clearance shouldn't be a problem with a SS hemi hood scoop one would think.

You maybe correct. Again depends I would think on k frame design, ect. So I wonder if the swap would be basically the same as with any Gen 3 motor? Mopar from the literature I have seen has a 4 step package including the transmission for installation. Not cheap but seems pretty complete. But then again I do not know sqwat when it comes to Gen 3 transplants. Hence my questions for those in the know. Thanks for the reply.

It would be cool but how would get the power to the ground? Like a 427 AC Cobra. The new Challengers are handfull enough.

I guess the same way you get a 750hp gen 2 hemi to hook. Mini tubs, slicks and a caltracs system?? Regarding the build, it looks like my 68 roller is going to find a home in my garage so might as well get the money gun out. Realistically I would have 20k in a gen2 cross ram hemi, trans cost about the same, radiator and such would be a wash so the decision comes down to the knowledge to complete a gen 3 build or continue with my hemi dart clone plans. Either way it realistically will be close to 50k all said and done....or more if things go as usual. Not a light decision either way...Thanks.

OJ my what did I do!!!! Just ordered a hellcat crate motor and all the stuff that goes with it.... I have no idea what I am doing, but it seemed to be a good thing to do at the time! Kind of like, "hold my beer and watch this"...type of thing. Next question do I try and stick it in my 68 dart which was going to be a hemi clone car or save the motor and look for an 70-71 ebody which has more intrinsic value when it is done. Restoration cost would be basically the same for either car, but sadly the cuda or challenger is worth way more when completed. I think I am in way over my head in this whole deal, but as I said seemed like a good idea at the time. Comments and advice as always would be appreciated. OMG what have I done!

OJ my what did I do!!!! Just ordered a hellcat crate motor and all the stuff that goes with it.... I have no idea what I am doing, but it seemed to be a good thing to do at the time! Kind of like, "hold my beer and watch this"...type of thing. Next question do I try and stick it in my 68 dart which was going to be a hemi clone car or save the motor and look for an 70-71 ebody which has more intrinsic value when it is done. Restoration cost would be basically the same for either car, but sadly the cuda or challenger is worth way more when completed. I think I am in way over my head in this whole deal, but as I said seemed like a good idea at the time. Comments and advice as always would be appreciated. OMG what have I done!
Can u come up w/ a front end that doesn`t have torsion bars? That would surely help a bunch ! build pics are must if u can !

I have been told that by others. Any suggestions? I have a bad feeling in my gut that this might turn into a nightmare resulting in a mongrel that is less than a sum of its parts.

RMS or a HemiDenny would be a good choice. Both go rack and pinion with coilovers to eliminate the torsion bars

gerst makes a nice k member setup as well. his price includes wilwood brake as well. i myself loved the gas monkey 67 hellcat swapped dart. this would be cool to see. start a build post once you begin.

Congrats on your HC Hemi purchase. Curious who you're getting it from and how long to get it, if you wouldn't mind sharing? I have the AlterKtion in my '69 Cuda and really like it. I mocked up my car with a 6.1 / Tremec 5 speed and then sent the 6.1 out to BES Racing to become a 392. Now, I'm in love with the Hellcrate and am about to pull the trigger. My bigger concern is with clearance (if any) between the rear of the blower case and the firewall. It's already fairly close with the aluminum 6.1 intake. Will likely have to build a nice notch into the firewall, below the wiper motor. Hopefully I won't have to make any changes to the wiper motor area.

Be careful, building the old cars with new technology means being creative and doing some engineering for a clean build. It's nothing like bolting in all the stock parts that were all engineered for you by the factory. It's worth the time, work and money, in my opinion.

Last edited:
hellcat-dart.jpg

1967-dodge-dart-hellcat-gas-monkey-34-.jpg

1967-dodge-dart-hellcat-gas-monkey-28-.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I am getting the hellcat through the local dealer. I have done a ton of business with them so the price is right on the parts I buy. A small token of appreciation to the parts guy at Christmas doesn't hurt. They Chrysler parts computer said there were 165 hellcat crates sitting in the warehouse. The rest of the parts for the build are also available. They should land within the month. Interestingly enough I decided to stay with old school and am having my gen 2 hemi block built for this dart. Anyone have a 70-71 cuda they want to get rid of for the hellcat?? Thanks for the response.

I have been told that by others. Any suggestions? I have a bad feeling in my gut that this might turn into a nightmare resulting in a mongrel that is less than a sum of its parts.
They rarely are for profit. It's a hobby.

see it through to the end, that will be a bad a.. ride, plus a good education for the rest of us!!!

-
Back