Hello Fellow Mopar fans! Removing the trip odometer knob on a rally dash?

-

My 71 DeMon

Reaction score
Looking for some help on how to remove the trip odometer knob on a rally dash
on my 71 Demon. I already pulled the cluster out! I just haven't figured out how to take the knob off, so I can pull the plastic dash/face cover to get to the gages! agh :banghead:
Thanks!

it is threaded on,if I remember correctly.

Thx..
I've tried to turn is back(counterclock wise), but the whole shaft seems to turn too? Then I tried to put a needle nose plier on it to hold, but there's hardly any room to hold the shaft without messing up the plastic?

I just confirmed it does unscrew. Turn knob clockwise and trip odometer resets. Turn counterclockwise and knob unscrews. Maybe your shaft on trip odometer is broken. Does it reset when turned clockwise? Oh and BTW welcome aboard

I just confirmed it does unscrew. Turn knob clockwise and trip odometer resets. Turn counterclockwise and knob unscrews. Maybe your shaft on trip odometer is broken. Does it reset when turned clockwise? Oh and BTW welcome aboard

Hello, Thanks for checking on it.. Yes, it does reset when I turn it clockwise. It's just hard
to get in between the plastic and the knob to get ahold of the shaft with a thin pair of needle nose pliers to turn it counter clockwise to take off.. But I will go buy a "thin" pair of pliers and try to get it off..
Thanks for your help!

In a OEM condition the knob would simply unscrew. If the spool has been removed before and not put back together just right the stem will turn both ways.
There is yet another way to whip it. Just remove the 2 screws from the back of the speedometer and carefully pull the bezel and speedometer together. Afterwards you'll find plenty of ways to hold the stem from turning.
Excuse me for saying but if you couldn't figure that out, you probably shouldn't be messing with it at all.

-
Back