Hello from So. Cal

-

MachineMan

Remove Before Flight
Reaction score
Hello,

I bumped into a guy driving a project Dart GT and all those old memories came flowing back.

From 1979 to 1984 I was living in Auburn, Washington...
Just down the hill from SIR, (Seattle International Raceway), I met a guy at work, Richard Gadberry, and we became best of friends.

He was a Ford guy back when he was into it, but each and every one of his friends were Mopar guys!

I fell in with this crowd and Richard eventually bought a Barracuda and fixed it up pretty nice without spending a lot of money.

Having a strong background in precision machining and precision grinding came in handy with these guys, all they ever thought about was their cars, and what could be done on a budget that could make it better.

One of those guys was a local Mopar A body legend.......

Kelly Thomas

If there are Mopar A body guys here from the North West right about now they are nodding their heads.

He was "the" A body guru that always had the answer when someone had a question.

It was he that asked me to solve a problem that had plagued small block Mopar guys from day one.....

Getting the heads of a small block Mopar to flow more like the heads on a small block Chevy.

You guys know the deal, the push rod location causes there to be a hump in the intake passage, where as on the Chevy it is a straight shot.

Sure guys had done some porting, but breaking through was always a danger and there was no warning to speak of before disaster struck.

My idea was to ream the push rod clearance hole to a clean .500, nothing much comes out, but it makes the hole more uniform and straightens it up a bit.

Then I took 1/2" copper tubing, put short sections in the lathe and put a medium knurl on the tubing, bringing it up to about .505 / ,506 or so.

Now that I had some knurled tubing to work with I cut the sleeves to length and deburred them.

Next using a .50 cal rifle cleaning brush and acetone I got the reamed bores in the head as clean and dry as possible.

I made an installer on the lathe, nothing fancy, basically a long nosed punch with a shoulder.

Next clean the copper sleeves well with a bush and acetone.

Next, mix up a batch of JB-Weld and apply to the copper sleeve getting good coverage.

Slip the sleeve onto the installer tool, line things up and start driving the sleeve home.

Clean up the excess JB and check to see that the sleeve is just below the surface of the head top and bottom.

Move on to the next, and next, etc.

24 hours later, make a coffee, find your safety glasses, locate ate little box you keep all your carbide burrs in, and get comfortable,... it's time to create flow.

I will not go into the dynamics of porting, you guys know the score.

"But"

This mod gave the porter something he never had before......

A warning.

When you see the color change from cast iron to copper you ease up, you know where you are.

A perfect job is when you are finished, and in the intake passage you clearly see what looks like a copper "surfboard".

Of course, if you break through a sleeve, you drill it out, pass the reamer through for good measure, clean up everything, and tap in a replacement.

I never broke through one, I watched like a hawk how wide the "surfboard" was getting and didn't rush, when I got tired, I stopped.

Richard told me he broke through one once, he just replaced it and let it sit over night, and finished it the next day.

The heads Richard and I ported in this fashion were a great improvement over what you could get out of heads that had the intake passage obstruction, the casting bulge to accommodate the push rod clearance hole.

I was accredited with being the first to come up with this practical solution.

It had not appeared in any magazine, any article, or any tech notice, and these guys had stacks on top of stacks of info, it's all they did,
they were Mopar Maniacs..... LOL

If anyone here knows of the group of guys I'm talking about, or you're from that Auburn / Kent ,Wash area, please speak up.

Welcome to FABO and So Cal.

If you are interested in the local Mopar club, Chrysler Performance West, for networking, events, info, etc. feel free to come to one of our meetings. As a matter of fact we are having our last CPW meeting of the year tomorrow night. We are the club that put on the Spring and Fall Fling Mopar shows at Woodley Park in Van Nuys.

Next meeting is tomorrow November 14. We’ll talk about Fall Fling, show a slideshow of Fall Fling pictures, upcoming events, Spring Fling, etc. I've got a really cool 1969 Performance Tuning Guide Dealer movie to show. We’ll do a little slide show and tell/tech about a member’s current project(s) too. There’s an open inquire time too, that people ask for leads/recommendation for services and also give/warn about recommendations.

Our meetings are the 2nd Sundays of the month and start at 7:30 p.m. They are held at the Granada Hills Community Hall, 16916 San Fernando Mission Blvd., located in the shopping mall on the southeast corner of Balboa Blvd. and San Fernando Mission Blvd. 118 fwy. exit south on Balboa, Cross San Fernando Mission, left into mall rear access alley behind businesses. Park in recessed lot on left side.

Steve Wall
CPW club president
www.cpwclub.com

On that copper sleeve technique..That must have worked its way south as I had a head porter that did the same thing but he did it azz backwards. He would port the bejeebers out of the pushrod guide side and break into the passage like it was nothing. He would then drop in a sleeve with epoxy and let it set up and smooth out. Your way is more proactive as it does give you a warning. Bring on the T/A valve gear!

Welcome to FABO.You sure talk a lot. :-D But it's all good,I sometimes can't stop myself. I would love to learn to be a machinist.Welcome again. 8)

Welcome to FABO and So Cal.

If you are interested in the local Mopar club, Chrysler Performance West, for networking, events, info, etc. feel free to come to one of our meetings. As a matter of fact we are having our last CPW meeting of the year tomorrow night. We are the club that put on the Spring and Fall Fling Mopar shows at Woodley Park in Van Nuys.

Next meeting is tomorrow November 14. We’ll talk about Fall Fling, show a slideshow of Fall Fling pictures, upcoming events, Spring Fling, etc. I've got a really cool 1969 Performance Tuning Guide Dealer movie to show. We’ll do a little slide show and tell/tech about a member’s current project(s) too. There’s an open inquire time too, that people ask for leads/recommendation for services and also give/warn about recommendations.

Our meetings are the 2nd Sundays of the month and start at 7:30 p.m. They are held at the Granada Hills Community Hall, 16916 San Fernando Mission Blvd., located in the shopping mall on the southeast corner of Balboa Blvd. and San Fernando Mission Blvd. 118 fwy. exit south on Balboa, Cross San Fernando Mission, left into mall rear access alley behind businesses. Park in recessed lot on left side.

Steve Wall
CPW club president
www.cpwclub.com

Will there be coffee and doughnuts?

I am in Burbank, and I have been to Woodley Park for auto events in the past.

I think the "Barris Custom" "Rat Fink" show was held there.

I may be able to make it.

Sounds cool.

On that copper sleeve technique..That must have worked its way south as I had a head porter that did the same thing but he did it azz backwards. He would port the bejeebers out of the pushrod guide side and break into the passage like it was nothing. He would then drop in a sleeve with epoxy and let it set up and smooth out. Your way is more proactive as it does give you a warning. Bring on the T/A valve gear!

Doing it that way does not make good sense.

Because the lines come out correctly when you have that copper "surfboard" witness.

Doing it backwards could lead to excessive break through, installing a sleeve at that point and you painted yourself into a corner.

Trying to establish the correct line would mean breaking through again, or, leaving a sorta blended semi radius of the sleeve.

I this case, you really don't want to put the cart before the horse.

The way I outlined above is straight forward, proven, and works like a house a fire.

I am sorry to say but that guy has an extra thick bone in his head.

LOL

Welcome Machineman its nice to see us building up a nice Southern California following here at A bodies Only. Many years ago before computers I only had Chevy friends and thought I was the only one that liked Mopars.

Welcome to FABO.You sure talk a lot. :-D But it's all good,I sometimes can't stop myself. I would love to learn to be a machinist.Welcome again. 8)

Hey! I like this guy!

There seems to be a good group here, it's great to be able to crack jokes and be among good people.

I was in Winnipeg years ago, I was going to work for a good sized company there, "Chicago Blower".

They liked me, and I aced their test, but, the law changed the year before, Americans had to apply to work in Canada while still in the states.

I would have liked working there, nice people, nice shop.

I ate at The Spaghetti Factory, and it was a good time.

Except I wanted that job.

LOL

Welcome Machineman its nice to see us building up a nice Southern California following here at A bodies Only. Many years ago before computers I only had Chevy friends and thought I was the only one that liked Mopars.

I have friends that have built all kinds of cars.

The fastest car here in the San Fernando Valley belongs to a friend of mine.

It's an AMC.

I am an expert on 1957-60 Ford pick ups, there is room enough in this world for all car guys to do their stuff.

But I'll tell you this for nothing..........

The fastest car I have ever been in, was a Mopar.

That's a fact.

Welcome aboard fellow machinist! Nah, you don't talk too much ;/ Been a CNC mill guy for the last 25 or so years myself!
I heard about your process, and I think I even remember it being in one of the Mopar rags once. Very cool!

Will there be coffee and doughnuts?

I am in Burbank, and I have been to Woodley Park for auto events in the past.

I think the "Barris Custom" "Rat Fink" show was held there.

I may be able to make it.

Sounds cool.

Have you been to a Spring Fling or Fall Fling Mopar show at Woodley Park?? We get 500+ Mopars, 275+ mopar swap meeter, 40+ manufactures midways...

There are show pictures on the website: www.cpwclub.com

Show aerial view:

Attachments

• grounds.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 124
Do you own a Mopar right now??

I have friends that have built all kinds of cars.

The fastest car here in the San Fernando Valley belongs to a friend of mine.

It's an AMC.

I am an expert on 1957-60 Ford pick ups, there is room enough in this world for all car guys to do their stuff.

But I'll tell you this for nothing..........

The fastest car I have ever been in, was a Mopar.

That's a fact.

Welcome aboard fellow machinist! Nah, you don't talk too much ;/ Been a CNC mill guy for the last 25 or so years myself!
I heard about your process, and I think I even remember it being in one of the Mopar rags once. Very cool!

Thank you for the credit.

I honestly would love to see if what was written up in that article was spot on to what I posted above.

A bit much for the home mechanic, needing a lathe and all.

And it's a bit tricky knurling copper tubing!

You have to give it some support in the ID or else you have headaches.

There might be a way to take a short cut, but this worked 100%.

If I was rich, I would buy a bench lathe and a drill press for every member on this board.

Get your own knurling tool, I'm not that rich.....

LOL

Have you been to a Spring Fling or Fall Fling Mopar show at Woodley Park?? We get 500+ Mopars, 275+ mopar swap meeter, 40+ manufactures midways...

There are show pictures on the website: www.cpwclub.com

Show aerial view:

You are going to kill me, I have missed it each year, it never fails I hear about it after it is over, or I heard about it, and had to work.

I just missed the event there at the park, some kind of Mopar parts swapmeet or something.

One or two Sundays ago.

I wanted to take a pair of 273 solid rocker assemblies there to sell.
Wound up stuck here at the shop.

Life was more fun back in the day.
(feel free to quote me)

Welcome to FABO! You're going to have fun here. You're right, great people here and almost all will take a joke aimed at them. Like everywhere you'll occassionally run into someone who's got their underwear in a wad, but very rare occurrence here.
Sounds like you've got a wealth of knowledge to share...and almost all of us will listen. Your technique on porting and pushrod tubes sounds right on. Wish you were closer to Orange County so I could learn more. Do you still do this type of work?

Welcome from the Seattle area! I do remember some of Kelly's cars. I raced against his factory backed Jeep pickup.

Welcome from the Seattle area! I do remember some of Kelly's cars. I raced against his factory backed Jeep pickup.

I knew it!

I knew there was a chance on an "Excellent" site like this that someone would know who I was talking about!

That pick up is after my time, but, do you or anyone remember his Burnt Orange Dart with center lines?

340, 727, 8 3/4, etc.

That was the nicest A body in the whole area.

Here is another name for you, " Dale Green "

He worked at " Curt's Auto Parts ", in Auburn.

They had a nice clean room to do engine assembly, Dale was an expert on doing a perfect job putting an engine together.

I heard some years ago, from Kelly's brother, Scott Thomas, that Dale opened his own place.

" Dale Green Machine "..... likely in Auburn, maybe Kent.

I'll say this with "No Reservations", anyone who takes a unit there will get a job done right on the money, 100%.

That guy is does Everything as perfect as possible.

Does anyone remember the "Pepsi Challenge Car? "

I saw it at SIR back when.

Welcome to FABO! You're going to have fun here. You're right, great people here and almost all will take a joke aimed at them. Like everywhere you'll occassionally run into someone who's got their underwear in a wad, but very rare occurrence here.

Sounds like you've got a wealth of knowledge to share...and almost all of us will listen. Your technique on porting and pushrod tubes sounds right on. Wish you were closer to Orange County so I could learn more. Do you still do this type of work?

Thanks for the kind words, but you have to remember, it was...
1979 - 1984 when I was hanging out with those guys in Auburn.

On the plus side, I have a good memory,... I remember a lot of this stuff.

You want to laugh?

Here's a little run down..............

If all you have is first gear and your unit has a 727......

The little hose fell off of the modulator on the passenger side of the trans.

Stick it back on there and try not to launch so hard next time.

LOL

To make a 727 shift crisper, do the band adjustment per the performance service bulletin.

The "back off" after finger snug is about half of the stock spec.

The good converter for the 727 is the one with a lot of starter gear showing, the small housing converter.

Pinion snubber, four link, 90 / 10 shocks, (10 / 90 ?), for the good squat launch.

The good rally wheels are the ones off of the B body cars, I think they are 15" instead of 14",...

Closest matching paint.... "Krylon Dull Aluminum"

I changed the pattern on A body axles many a time so guys could use the preferred rally wheel.

If your car won't start 75 - 85 % chance it is that little ignition box that is right there on the inner fender well.

"Always" keep an extra tested unit with you....

Oh, and the chrome one is the performance one.

The front end height is adjustable, very nice touch.....

Oh,

If Kelly Thomas let's you drive his Burnt Orange Dart with centerlines, fat in the back, skinny in the front, and when he yells stop you slam on the brakes locking up the front wheels.....

He screams right in your ear and never let's you drive again.

LOL

Wish you were closer to Orange County so I could learn more. Do you still do this type of work?

Forgot to answer.........

I have not done it for a long time but I remember it buy heart.

I defiantly would do the sleeve mod, I have all I need to do a perfect job.

Now about the porting,...... My right elbow started giving me trouble some years ago,
I likely could do about 30 minutes of porting then I would have to ice my elbow for about 20 minutes.

As long as the person I was doing the porting for was willing to wait the extra time I likely would do it.

I can guaranty a perfect job.

I still have the modified die grinder I used on those heads back in the day, and more porting tools than I ever owned back then.

And above all, I understand porting, for what we do,
the type of street / strip, bracket racing, street racing, etc.

The all important effect is "Velocity"..............

Right now the more experienced members are nodding their heads.

Over the many years, I am 54, I have done "A Lot" of porting.

I have never had a single complaint.

Except I am a little slow, I try to get everything perfect.

The machine shop you are talking about is probably DG Machine. They are one of the big time race engine builders in the Seattle area.

The machine shop you are talking about is probably DG Machine. They are one of the big time race engine builders in the Seattle area.

You are right,.... and I stand on what I said.

Anyone who has a unit done there is going to get a job done 100% on the money

I hate to say it, but on some things Dale Green is even pickier than I am.

And my background is aircraft & aerospace.

-
Back