Help convince me to go BB in my Duster?

-
Yeah, it's a bit different, but those items can probably be had right here from someone.

With a 440 in an A body, tune the ignition to what the engine wants, it will probably scare the pants off ya.

Even for a first timer? Who may or may not have access to an engine hoist? haha...

What would you say the scale is price wise based off of just what I need to run it, so don't include disc brakes.

It's difficult to put an exact number on it because there are so many different routes you can go but it will cost more than a small block transplant. I live in a fairly densely populated area so I find that getting engines, trans and other parts is easy. I bought a complete 60,000 mile 440 out of a 1977 motor home for $200 in 2011 and I was able to hear it run before I pulled it. I just sold it for $600 to a guy putting it into a Charger. If you can find a good engine like the one I just sold you can do it on a tight budget and wind up with a strong running car. I've managed to build a stock pile of engine and trans cores in the seven years I've been into Mopars. One more thing. If you do go small block, I recommend that you don't waste time and money on a 318. Get a 360 and you're miles ahead.

It's difficult to put an exact number on it because there are so many different routes you can go but it will cost more than a small block transplant. I live in a fairly densely populated area so I find that getting engines, trans and other parts is easy. I bought a complete 60,000 mile 440 out of a 1977 motor home for $200 in 2011 and I was able to hear it run before I pulled it. I just sold it for $600 to a guy putting it into a Charger. If you can find a good engine like the one I just sold you can do it on a tight budget and wind up with a strong running car. I've managed to build a stock pile of engine and trans cores in the seven years I've been into Mopars. One more thing. If you do go small block, I recommend that you don't waste time and money on a 318. Get a 360 and you're miles ahead.

Good to know Doos, are the motorhome 440s worth it? I feel like they are under a lot of load for their mileage.

Also, I've found a couple 440s/trans for around 4-600 but like I said, I'm not currently in the market quite yet.

Unrelated, is the 727 the Auto trans for the 440? Or does it still run a 904?

Lol, a 440 dizzy just popped up in the for sale section for 40 bucks.

That's all you would need. Even reman stock distributors are dirt cheap. But the engine might already have a distributor. Inside is a magnetic pickup not much magic to it.

I have seen a few in motorhomes, actually I guy on craigslist had one here along with a 727 I am picking up to limp mine alone for a month.

right here is all you need ignition wise.

http://www.manciniracing.com/ma413426440e3.html

Damn Mancini literally has everything haha. Gonna save this link.

Gonna save this link because I may need a rear quarter in the near future haha.

So just to clear things up, I need these things, this should be everything we mentioned, correct?

Motor:
Chrysler 440

Trans:
727 automatic

Accessories:
Distributor
(replacing)
coil
wires
plugs
(upgrade)
MSD Dist/ignition

Your right I just searched for it and came up zilch, my bad

So just to clear things up, I need these things, this should be everything we mentioned, correct?

Motor:
Chrysler 440

Trans:
727 automatic

Accessories:
Distributor
(replacing)
coil
wires
plugs
(upgrade)
MSD Dist/ignition[/QUOTE]

Got a carb and you should be good on the drivetrain. Driveshaft!!!!!!!!! I had to get one made, how did we forget that one?

Motorhome big blocks usually have weird front accessories and funky tail shaft on the trans. Neither are friendly for car swaps but can be overcome with some extra pieces.

Motor:
Chrysler 440

Trans:
727 automatic

Accessories:
Distributor
(replacing)
coil
wires
plugs
(upgrade)
MSD Dist/ignition

Got a carb and you should be good on the drivetrain. Driveshaft!!!!!!!!! I had to get one made, how did we forget that one?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't including drive shaft since I was just looking for a "to get running" kind of deal, not moving.

I know I need disc brakes, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 or ford 8.8, drive shaft, etc before I even attempt to drive it haha

I went kind of nuts on mine! LOL I even did rear brakes and just put a NOS plate on it. Beer and boredom kicked in.

You will need a 727 front yoke in just to keep the fluid in.

Got a carb and you should be good on the drivetrain. Driveshaft!!!!!!!!! I had to get one made, how did we forget that one?

I wasn't including drive shaft since I was just looking for a "to get running" kind of deal, not moving.

I know I need disc brakes, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 or ford 8.8, drive shaft, etc before I even attempt to drive it haha[/QUOTE]

I would go right to 8 3/4, that way you're prepared for upgrades in the future.

Ferd belongs under a Ferd, lol, but that's just me. I know it's a viable option, personally I couldn't do it.

And NO, I'm not a purist. :D

Oh yeah most inportan thing a build thread for us to watch the build!

I know I need disc brakes, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 or ford 8.8, drive shaft, etc before I even attempt to drive it haha

Ferd belongs under a Ferd, lol, but that's just me. I know it's a viable option, personally I couldn't do it.

And NO, I'm not a purist. :D[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with Fords, I was really into Mazdas for a while, and they're pretty synonymous. But regardless, if it works it works. I'd rather have a working rear end than a rear end that blows out on a turn. lol

Oh yeah most inportan thing a build thread for us to watch the build!
I normally hang out over on Stanceworks because all of my buddies are stance-bros lol. But I suppose I could update 2 threads! haha

And NO, I'm not a purist. :D

I have no problem with Fords, I was really into Mazdas for a while, and they're pretty synonymous. But regardless, if it works it works. I'd rather have a working rear end than a rear end that blows out on a turn. lol[/QUOTE]

the 8.75 is actually stronger than a Ford 9 inch........

The 8.8 is a nice option, 200$ with disk brakes, trac lok, either 3.73s or 4.10s. That saved money over an 8 3/4 with sure grip could pay for a set of tti headers. But it's not or everyone. On my last 2 a bodies I've done dana 60s, this duster has had 8 1/4, 8 3/4, 8.8 and I'm thinking in going to do another dana 60 for it.

The 8.8 is a nice option, 200$ with disk brakes, trac lok, either 3.73s or 4.10s. That saved money over an 8 3/4 with sure grip could pay for a set of tti headers. But it's not or everyone. On my last 2 a bodies I've done dana 60s, this duster has had 8 1/4, 8 3/4, 8.8 and I'm thinking in going to do another dana 60 for it.

Where have you seem them for $200? Would be very interested in that. lol

-
Back