Help Firing Dad's Dart up Again - SOS - No Spark After Hosing Off the Dust

-
The interlock "I don't think" has anything to do with spark. I believe it only cuts out the start signal from the key to the starter relay

There are two yellowish wires going to the reset box under the hood. Splice those permanently together

The blue box is under the dash. What you are looking for is under the hood, either on the firewall or fender apron. Has a reset button sticking out

This is what you are looking for

View attachment 1715441866

Excellent write up 67dart273, thank you for taking all that time and effort. Excellent post by all. Thank you for keeping us up to speed. Best of luck. Nothing more wanted then to see this be a total success.

Everyone, we've got a running car again. I got on the horn with Ryan and we went over all of the advice we received, talked it through. Parts were bench testing fine. We just couldn't put on finger on it. We finally just made a temporary ignition harness and bypass the main harness and it fired right back up. So Dad definitely has an engine harness issue going on, so I'll look for a new engine harness to put in it. Somewhere there is short that had just enough corrosion on it to work fine until they washed it and then whatever issues Dad was having 30 years ago bit us hard.

6 or so wires later connecting the distributor, coil, ballast, and ICM and we're back in business. It's good enough to drive the 1/4 mile down the street and back and I'll just plan on putting a harness in it on March when I have a week off to work on it more.

Really, I can't say enough thanks to all of you for the posts, it saved me from searching for it all while trying to hide from my parents without them getting annoyed (my mom was definitely getting peeved I was either in my phone or at my computer far too often today). So we're in the clear! Car goes back to Dad's tomorrow, and we reveal with the patched together harness on Thursday, and come spring we'll fix it up and he'll be back in business. I'll update again after we let Dad see it!

Everyone, we've got a running car again. I got on the horn with Ryan and we went over all of the advice we received, talked it through. Parts were bench testing fine. We just couldn't put on finger on it. We finally just made a temporary ignition harness and bypass the main harness and it fired right back up. So Dad definitely has an engine harness issue going on, so I'll look for a new engine harness to put in it. Somewhere there is short that had just enough corrosion on it to work fine until they washed it and then whatever issues Dad was having 30 years ago bit us hard.

6 or so wires later connecting the distributor, coil, ballast, and ICM and we're back in business. It's good enough to drive the 1/4 mile down the street and back and I'll just plan on putting a harness in it on March when I have a week off to work on it more.

Really, I can't say enough thanks to all of you for the posts, it saved me from searching for it all while trying to hide from my parents without them getting annoyed (my mom was definitely getting peeved I was either in my phone or at my computer far too often today). So we're in the clear! Car goes back to Dad's tomorrow, and we reveal with the patched together harness on Thursday, and come spring we'll fix it up and he'll be back in business. I'll update again after we let Dad see it!
Chrysler factory info about the 1974 Seat belt Interlock system here:
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Browse MTSC by Model Year - 1974

The schematic below will give you starting point for troubleshooting the start. When the key is turned to start, only the Ignition 2 and Starter relay wires are connected within the switch.
As you know by now, 73 and 74 are not the same - especially with respect to the buzzer and interlock. So exactly how that, including the overide, ties in will be the puzzle for you to solve.

upload_2019-12-26_15-42-38.png

Last edited:
Chrysler factory info about the 1974 Seat belt Interlock system here:
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Browse MTSC by Model Year - 1974

The schematic below will give you starting point for troubleshooting the start. When the key is turned to start, only the Ignition 2 and Starter relay wires are connected within the switch.
As you know by now, 73 and 74 are not the same - especially with respect to the buzzer and interlock. So exactly how that, including the overide, ties in will be the puzzle for you to solve.

View attachment 1715443198

I just got home tonight, we revealed it on Thursday. Thanks everyone for coming along for the ride and all of your advice as we made this happen. It's been 2 days and Dad still can't talk about it without choking up. It's one of the absolutely coolest things I've ever had the chance to be a part of. My parents, all 4 kids, and all 10 grand kids were able to be there for this. What an amazing moment that my family will cherish for as long as we live. The guy holding them in the garage is my little brother who (along with our 2 good friends) did the work. Ryan is one of my oldest friends that we could never have done this without. He's been building cars professionally his entire life and was really the reason that got this done. I'm the one that had the privilege of driving it up. Excuse my cold, I've been sick for a month now.

And this picture is the one that is a punch right in the feels right after Mom and Dad climbed in for the first time since 1986. This picture captures exactly what this effort was about.

lgfxWcJiFxg8mfNibbgpX_Adti_QLupRpO8BmFlAKYJekDuOOiGSsyn4GDLdQ?width=660&height=476&cropmode=none.jpg

Last edited:
brought tears to my eyes to see this, Awesome job and thanks for sharing

Not sure if you need this now, but in case you do.

We aren't sure why these pins on the ballast are jumped,
It shares the power coming from the run circuit. In run, the half ohm resistor feeds the coil and the five ohm resistor feeds the ECU.
upload_2019-12-29_10-59-31.png

Both of the striped wires are used to power the 5 pin ECU.
The 5 ohm resistor reduces the voltage and therefore power draw of the 5 pin ECU.
Four pin ECUs have an internal power regulation so don't need this. They should work on a 5 Pin harness, they just don't use the red/green wire.

In Start, power from the key switch comes from one of those brown wires. The other one provides power to the coil. No resistance is used because voltage during cranking is supplied at less than 11 Volts vs. over 13.5 when running.

Last edited:
That's what life and family is all about.

I think Dad was in shock!! Way to go!!

Great job everyone. Sorry for the rush yesterday asking for an update. So glad that all went so well after all the great work. As stated at the very early outset of this post tears were had and prayers were with you. Again the video was great but it was the pic that made the tears flow again. Thank you so much for sharing this. For me it made me think of dad that has been gone for 5 years and how much he is missed. All of you will not forget this ever. Thank you for including us in this epic endeavour.

Post 58, second picture. …….... Happiness is ……….. And there is more than the love of a car going on.

Great job everyone. Sorry for the rush yesterday asking for an update. So glad that all went so well after all the great work. As stated at the very early outset of this post tears were had and prayers were with you. Again the video was great but it was the pic that made the tears flow again. Thank you so much for sharing this. For me it made me think of dad that has been gone for 5 years and how much he is missed. All of you will not forget this ever. Thank you for including us in this epic endeavour.

No worries on the rush! It's a 5 hour run between houses, and I just hadn't' made it home yet to post. I wasn't going to not post an update after all of the help!

Post 58, second picture. …….... Happiness is ……….. And there is more than the love of a car going on.

Yeah, that picture is all of our favorites of the ones we've looked at so far. There are still 2 more cameras that need gone through. Mom said she still remembers seeing Dad next door to her cousin's house the first time. It was the summer of 1975 and she got his attention and they went for ice cream in the Dart. Pretty cool that it was the first and only car Dad ever bought new, and here we are 45 years later with 17 extra people because of an ice cream cone! Really really cool thing. I can't put into words how happy I am that we did this.

-
Back