Help ID a tranny off of craigslist

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
So i got this transmission off of a guy on craigslist. He claims it is out of a 64 dart and is a 3 speed. The tranny was caked in grime 1/2' thick on the clean parts. but it was almost free. So i got it. Dont have a pressure washer so my saturday AM, scrapers, oven cleaner and a hose spent some quality time together. Its almost clean, the nuimbers i did acquire so far are C 13303 G and 8 24 77. What do those represent? is the 8 24 77 August the 24th 1977? If so I dont even know if this guy knew what he was talking about with the 64 dart thing. Also the shifter, which wasnt attached when i got it is a hurst shifter.

Help me id this tranny. Are there other niumbers I should be looking for?

dont let the pic fool you. it was filthy before. scraped off a pound and a half of grime.

Attachments

• tranny.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 470
any idea where on the bellhousing these numbers are? didnt see any when i was cleaning it. going to go look again

OD 4spd tranny would be AWESOME. especially since i bought it thinking it was a 3spd.

any idea where on the bellhousing these numbers are? didnt see any when i was cleaning it. going to go look again

OD 4spd tranny would be AWESOME. especially since i bought it thinking it was a 3spd.

No, just trying to help you solve your dilemma, I wouldn't be surprised that's what you have.

it has nothing on the bell housing at all.

on the tail shaft is also has

:037
C-9953
ss3 (but the 3 is stamped and the rest is raised)

on the shift plate cover c135 50

no other markings except a pentastar and "ace co"

well I guess I should just finish cleaning it up and test the shift pattern

1 3
2 4 R

or

R 1 3
2 4

I found this: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44853

Could they be stamped on the mating surface where the trans bolts to the housing?

Hey if nothing else I'm learning something, in between chasing the 2 two year old grandchildren around, LOL.

EDIT: I do find multiple sites that say the numbers are on the bell somewhere.

Find neutral. Then take a wrench on the front shift shaft (3/4) and turn it RIGHT (CW). That is 3rd gear on a 4 speed, OD gear on an OD gearbox. Then just turn the input shaft ONE turn and watch the output.

If the output turns LESS than one turn with the input, it's a 4 speed

If the output turns MORE than one turn with the output, it's an OD

Turning the shaft LEFT (CCW) will be 1:1, or straight through, on EITHER a 4 speed or OD.

looks like a b/e body 4 speed. note the 2 shifter pads. also looks like an aluminum case. def not 3 speed and not a '64. if it was a '64 it would have a ball and trunnion flanged tail shaft........just my 2 cents

man you guys all rock.... thanks.

I am pretty excited. OD in a slant. SWEET

Its a TRUCK transmission, they never put overdrives in B or E bodys, people see the dual shifter pad and assume B or E body, but thats how the truck transmissions look

^^^ thanks.

So if i were to use this in my 64 valiant id either need to custom fab a hump OR replace the tailshaft with one from an A833 from an a-body?

Hell, I wouldn't. The installed length of a long shaft A833 is the same as an A727 Torqueflite. I would think with the dual shifter mounts you should be able to fab / modify shifter arms if necessary. The mount/ crossmember should fit same as it does an A-727

Same length? I have a 904 but thats awesome. Will the auto yokes and ujoints be the same? and the mounts?

Same length? Really? thats awesome. Will the auto yokes and ujoints be the same? and the mounts?

same length as a 727 NOT same as a 904
and you can make an adapter to move the shifter location
I will look for the link

-
Back