Help me decide on a hood for my race car

Help me decide a hood for my race car

• Pro Stock Style

Votes: 153 60.7%
  • Cowl style

Votes: 99 39.3%

• Total voters
-
Cowl scoops suck.......even on chebbies.

i say put on a hood that just sits around the outside a bit so youll still have one on but you can still have the engine hangin out :D seee there are loopholes for everything. or build your own. if i had to decide between the two though id vote for the cowl if your gonna drive it on the street at all, if its gonna be just a track car go with the pro stock scoop, to me they just look dumb driving down the street though.

God whatever you do, don't put a Chevy hood on a Mopar! That's rule number 1 any Mopar with a Chevy hood is bastard! put a old school Mopar pro stock scoop on it, just look at any old Sox & Martin drag car!

43.jpg

49.jpg

fred4.jpg
:glasses7:

The only problem with the cowl hood on a Mopar is that it doesn't go all the way to the windshield like it does on a Chevy so it makes it funny looking on anything other then a Chevy. The pro stock scoop would be the one for me if I was using two 1050 carbs.

Every time I see a cowl hood on a Duster or Demon it reminds me of a Chevelle.
The Pro Stock one follows the shape of the Duster and looks pretty good. But if you decide on it shop around they make a few variations of it and some look alot better than others. How much scoop do you need? Two of the best looking scoops I've seen on Dusters are the taller version 6 pac and the Hemi scoop (the one that's on all the 60's Darts and Barracudas).
Heres a tall 6 pack and another pic of a Pro Stock type scoop.

Attachments

• 592869_11_full.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 632
  • 592869_9_full.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 638
  • mopartony2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 623
  • side-duster.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 629
Just put one of them 60s snorkels on it.

My car's farrrr from done, but I plan on running a hose from the air cleaner to the firewall, with it pulling air from the cowl area.
Scoops aren't as cool as they were when I was younger, that's all. It's all subjective.
Now that I think about it, use what ever you want; why do our opinions matter? It's your car, and should reflect your personality.

Attachments

• Scoop.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Web1973d.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 705
I could not decide between cowl or a six pack hood. Glad I picked the cowl hood

I dig the first cars look. I think the cowl looks bad ***. To me the other isn't a prostock scoop they are square and protruding forward at the opening. That round monstrosity is an aero scoop and belongs on a top sportsman dragster. Round scoop on a square lined car. Can you say ugly.Jmho

God whatever you do, don't put a Chevy hood on a Mopar! That's rule number 1 any Mopar with a Chevy hood is bastard! put a old school Mopar pro stock scoop on it, just look at any old Sox & Martin drag car!

hmmm, wonder what you call this shape. looks pretty factory to me :icon_smi:

rrhoodstripe012.jpg

Make a decision yet???

Wylde1.

Im thinking of going with 6.5 inch Pro Stock (aero) style.

http://www.usbodysource.com/__Photo-Gallery/C-Hd-Chrysler/70-aer-001.htm

I think it will lend its self for what im doing with my car.

Plus...I had a guy over the other day and say "Nice NOVA, 72?":angry4:

And I got to thinking that if someone thinks its a 72 NOVA now....I can imagine how many people will think that when I have a Cowl hood on it........:tongue2:

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR GUYS' IMPUTE!:drinkers:

I enjoyed reading all the comments.

I'm glad that people have different idea's, thats what makes this hobby great! No 2 cars are the same:thumrigh:

I like the Pro Stock scoop but with a rounder, larger opening. It will suck in more air. I think. :headbang:

Im thinking of going with 6.5 inch Pro Stock (aero) style.

http://www.usbodysource.com/__Photo-Gallery/C-Hd-Chrysler/70-aer-001.htm

I think it will lend its self for what im doing with my car.

That looks really good with the shorter scoop. My favorite though, is the one Wylde1 posted.

Lots of guys run the cowl hood, and I'm sure it creates less drag. Plus, it gives you a TON of clearance. It's just not my thing.

I assume you're going with a lift-off hood. It's going to need some body work to make it look right, no matter who it's from.

I've never cared for the big forward facing scoops. They are too hard to see around for one thing plus I don't like the look. I know they are functional but those new scoops look like a dead porpoise on the hood.

-
Back