Help me stop the windshield wipers coming on at 80mph

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
please tell me what is supposed to keep those in place. I think that I have read somewhere that the "bushings" wear out and they just loosen up. If that is the case, tell me how to access these bushings and what to order and from whom.

many many thanks in advance.

Factory ANCO blades with the aero wings should help too. All '67 A-bodies got them.

I would have to guess a problem in the park mechanism also. If the wipers can move far enough out of the park position, They would run one sweep and park again. I have never seen them move so easily though. Anco anti sail blades have a air foil that holds them tighter to the glass. That foil may not prevent movement. Might even help cause it. I don't know.

There is some one around that rebuilds just the motors, hope he chimes in.

yeah, Redfish, they get started and will cycle to park again IF I slow down. I have physically turned them off and got them to stay up until I slowed down. I could try another 2 speed motor, No?

yeah, Redfish, they get started and will cycle to park again IF I slow down. I have physically turned them off and got them to stay up until I slowed down. I could try another 2 speed motor, No?
You might try removing the blades and tighten the springs that hold them to the glass.

I'd think the diagnosis should start with someone looking underneath at the linkage while another person gently tries to lift the wiper arms up.
If the linkage moves the shaft of the driving crank, then you've narrowed the issue down to the motor and output gear. Then identify which type of motor is on the car.
If it doesn't move the motor assembly's output shaft, then see where in the linkage its slipping.

I'd think the diagnosis should start with someone looking underneath at the linkage while another person gently tries to lift the wiper arms up.
If the linkage moves the shaft of the driving crank, then you've narrowed the issue down to the motor and output gear. Then identify which type of motor is on the car.
If it doesn't move the motor assembly's output shaft, then see where in the linkage its slipping.

thanks, I will try that and see where I'm at.

Update:

so first let me just say there is one place on the car that I detest working on, and that is under the dash. No surprise then when I have my wife actual the wipers by hand that the shaft is rotating around the spindle and two quick half turns on that nut pretty much stopped the problem.
However, I have these old "Rainex" wipers with a single fin standing straight out from the entire length of the blade about 3/4" and I recently changed the stance of the car. I have convinced myself that combination was not helping. Add to that the fact that the aforementioned ANCO wipers with the aero wings, in stainless, are better looking.- I bought a set of them anyway! These cost about as much as a remanufactured 2 speed wiper motor for anyone else finding themselves in this particular rabbit hole.
So weigh your options wisely..... but do try the nut first!!! lol

-
Back