help with 12 volt power supply

-

dartsport76

can't get right
Reaction score
I am needing some help finding a 12 volt source. It is for the power on my EZ EFI I have been trying to install for some time now. It needs to have power to it with the ignition on, cranking and engine running. The directions also say's do not use any source going to the coil. So any idea's out there. I have a 76 Dodge Dart Sport, so I do not know if most other
Mopar will be similar. Any help would be usefull.

Thanks
Brian

You need to find out how much current (amps) it will draw, and get an appropriate rated relay to run the EFI. You can run the relay off the ign run (normally dark blue) wire, and hook the contacts through an appropriate fuse as close to the battery as you can get, such as the big stud on the starter relay.

You have a front/ rear mount battery?

I have a dual battery set up in the trunk, Aslo ahve a Battery on/off switch comong out of the trunk. I guess I could wire it to the other side of the battery switch. But I think I would rather keep that wiring upfront. Do you now which blue wire it might be?

Thanks for your help
Brian

The dark blue I was referring to is the factory wire used in "ignition run" to supply the igntion and regulator.

Reason I asked about bat. location is I thought maybe you had a heavy duty relay/ solenoid to actuate off the key already.

DID YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS? It is written BOLD, UNDERLINED AND IN CAPS A FEW TIMES lol

The 12 gauge positive (big red wire on harness with inline fuse attached) goes directly to the battery, 12 gauge negative (big black wire on harness) goes directly to the battery.

Are you asking where to hook up the smaller 18 gauge (pink) 12v "switched on" wire? If so find something on the fuse box, not ignition or radio circuits, to hook up to or just tap it off the back of the ignition switch, there won't be that much current running through it.

You don't hook up a relay in line to the power wire as 67dart273 suggested.

As far as the battery on of switch I would say hook it up before that so you aren't constantly taking power away from it, may reset your settings. Your battery will not be drained by doing this.

I have the two 12 GA wires already connected directly to the battery. It is the smaller 18 GA wire to the "switched" on sorce. I'll look at the back of the ignition switch and see what I can see there first than I'll look at the fuse box. The wiring was very easy but Its only me doing it so its a little difficult to keep turning the key and checking for power in the wire at the same time. Mostly just annoying.

Brian

best thing to do is get a cheap test light, maybe even use alligator clamps so you dont have to support the light as you check the circuit while turning the key. not to many wires to choose from so you will figure it out soon enough.

Keep the faith man, your almost there, good luck.

-
Back