Hemi engine swap..is it worth it

-
let see...just a swap using a 727 trans. Carb Intake 650 and up. I thought i saw a wiring kit with ecm and drive by wire gas peddle for $1600 which doesnt seem bad actually. efi fuel tank $650. Motor mounts $265... oil pan. But i know with a little searching here there are people here that have found donor vehicles and painstakingly gone through the harness. the prices i came up with are on mancini's site. Under 3k is my guess

I have the money to do it..either route isn't cheap. If I go la I still need heads, headers , intake carb and so on..I got my hands on a 2014 5.7 for 500 suppose to be a good engine. Never heard it run so I'd probably check out cylinders, bearings and heads before I'd put in. All I want to do is a cam swap and I was gonna do a carb swap for ease of installation but man fuel injection is what makes it sweet..not sure he has the harness though so not sure what to do..Engine is suppose to be dropped off to me today

I have the money to do it..either route isn't cheap. If I go la I still need heads, headers , intake carb and so on..I got my hands on a 2014 5.7 for 500 suppose to be a good engine. Never heard it run so I'd probably check out cylinders, bearings and heads before I'd put in. All I want to do is a cam swap and I was gonna do a carb swap for ease of installation but man fuel injection is what makes it sweet..not sure he has the harness though so not sure what to do..Engine is suppose to be dropped off to me today
Holley unit is $1,300 and it's all you need, a guy i know has done 2 Hellcat swaps and i think he's using a walbro fuel pump.

That is exactly the rationale that led me to going modern EFI Hemi. Once I got to adding up what I was going to need to buy to put a drive train in my Demon shell not a whole lot of difference. Yes it is more expensive no question, but I would trade that for the performance benefits of modern suspension and EFI. End result speaks for its self. And for point of reference I also have a 600 plus HP Cuda I race. It is totally ill mannered on the street, spooled rear end etc. I wanted to build something I could drive gracefully. No regrets.

efi fuel tank $650.

Summit sells an entire kit. Comes with the tank, pump, sending unit and new tank straps for under 600 bucks. Or they used to when I bought mine. It's a tanks inc tank. The kit was cheaper then I could have gotten it all from tanks inc itself.

Summit sells an entire kit. Comes with the tank, pump, sending unit and new tank straps for under 600 bucks. Or they used to when I bought mine. It's a tanks inc tank. The kit was cheaper then I could have gotten it all from tanks inc itself.
Nice avatar

Cedar Falls August 20-22 show is called Annual Mopar Maxx. It is a great venue and a good show. The swap meet was ok last time but it was pouring rain so a lot of folks did not unload for swap meet. A lot of hotels in area have big lots for truck and trailer. Several of us migrate each year to it. It is a great time and a well ran event.

Well I took the Hemi to machine shop today for a tear down and to have block and heads checked for cracks and see if all is well. Guy I got it from was sketchy lol. He said is a 2014 engine are there number I can look at to find out. It has eagle heads for sure but that doesn't mean someone didn't swap them onto an older engine. It has the mds as well. Is it easy to delete the mds.. If all turns out well just going to buy rebuild kit for it. Any recommendations on where to get one..a good one. Thanks just looking to do a cam swap to up the power some. What hp could I expect with a cam..will be a street strip car 3.55 gear in my Dart. Fingers are crossed all checks out ok. Thanks guys

Well I took the Hemi to machine shop today for a tear down and to have block and heads checked for cracks and see if all is well. Guy I got it from was sketchy lol. He said is a 2014 engine are there number I can look at to find out. It has eagle heads for sure but that doesn't mean someone didn't swap them onto an older engine. It has the mds as well. Is it easy to delete the mds.. If all turns out well just going to buy rebuild kit for it. Any recommendations on where to get one..a good one. Thanks just looking to do a cam swap to up the power some. What hp could I expect with a cam..will be a street strip car 3.55 gear in my Dart. Fingers are crossed all checks out ok. Thanks guys
Well engine masters got 500hp with a cam swap using the holley efi.

for what its worth to anyone. I started with a junk yard 5.7 2009 motor for $900. Bought a pair of Eagle heads, changed the cam out to the 6.1, did the usual mds delete etc. I run the prefix intake with Fast efi running the fuel system. it ran really good for what it is. according to my dragy it was low 11 second car. We are making some changes to it now for this fall. Just recently my son machined for intake for port injection and a throttle body. I sold my MSD hemi 6 stuff upgraded to the MS3 gold box, had the heads CNC ported and polished with all new valves and springs, intake as well. we purchased a comp cam stage 3 HRT 224/234, push rods and lifters, we plan on spinning this one up past 7k. my sons calcs say we should be at 500hp to the rear wheel.
the car is fun to drive knowing i don't have 15k in a small block on the raged edge.

Plus if you have small block parts and things laying around sell it off to fund the new project. off setting cost is nice on the pocket book

there are shortcuts to this and not one recipe fits all swaps. think it out plan it out acquire as many parts as you can up front before you do it, the process can be long but i assure you its well worth it in the end.

Last edited:
-
Back