Highest flowing sbm heads?

-
Jack at Valley performance and Machine built a 370 ish inch 360 that is under 12 to 1( it will run on pump gas) that made anywhere from about 740 to 780 depending on what dyno it was on.
uses production 360 block, and a very small duration cam(255@50) won a big competition with it. Have posted the build story on here several times, easy to find the info.
it uses Eddie Victor heads.
could make 800 very easily according to Jack with bigger cam, etc.

What has that engine ran and at what weight?

Another one of these days I’m going to run this engine. Shop art just like my blue duster. Lol

I'm assuming this is that mill on the dyno. They claim 900 but didn't see any numbers.

That is not the engine in the 69 Dart and that w8 makes way over 900 and something for a few here to comprehend as your wow'd with these numbers and impressive builds is that they all use a race block.

That build, Brett ported the head IIRC. That’s really the biggest key in making power, a high flow head. While that Victor head and the higher performing W’s are worth it for the up most power potential, the common man will not afford these in his build.

For the most part, people want a OOTB ace head to bolt on and go. (Save a check out at your machinist if you yourself can not perform this task properly) I don’t think this is currently possible. At least at the above engines power level.

I don’t have it in my head what the cost difference would be between a RPM head and the Victor, attaching parts included, even more so if you go with a solid roller. But that’s the entrance fee.

Also! A OOTB head will go only so far before porting, hence what’s the highest flowing head question. How far does anyone think a Victor head can go untouched? On a general rebuilt block?

I think what you would get would be a poor showing next to the engine above but still, even if you produced an engine 130hp less, your still looking at a 600hp small block.

My friends W8 370 inch engine last time on the dyno was making around 800hp NA...it is only a 10:1 and would run on pump gas no problem....it should be back on the dyno for more tuning soon... generally he does some NA pulls before they run it with the pro charger.... I will get the actual numbers to see what it is doing

Something to keep
In mind is the Victors are cnc ported as delivered except for the raw castings. If they flow around 370 cfm as advertised they have a pretty good program so hand porting them you could see some gains in the right hands but they won’t pick up a lot.

Another one of these days I’m going to run this engine. Shop art just like my blue duster. Lol

that build really did what Valley wanted it to. Won a competition and put his shop on the map. His business has real grown last several years.
Anything else is just gravy. That said, when he finds time he enjoys racing, he is a pretty good racer.
Mopar guy too!

that build really did what Valley wanted it to. Won a competition and put his shop on the map. His business has real grown last several years.
Anything else is just gravy. That said, when he finds time he enjoys racing, he is a pretty good racer.
Mopar guy too!

I would love to see it out and racing. I think we all would.

After 20+ pages of derailment, the topic seemed to land at 700hp from a small block.

Engines are just air pumps. The attributes which made an honest 700+ from a 4" stroke and 4.1+ bore seemed relevant IMO.

The fact it took so much compression and a bore that's not possible with a stock Mopar block seems to rule out a stock block and pump gas.
Sorry to tag Ya with the red X, engines are NOT just air pumps. Not even close. There are heads that are out-flowed by 15-20cfm by another head for the same app, but will spank 'em handily, fact.
Otherwise, pretty much agree with the rest there, carry on! :steering:

Sorry to tag Ya with the red X, engines are NOT just air pumps. Not even close. There are heads that are out-flowed by 15-20cfm by another head for the same app, but will spank 'em handily, fact.
Otherwise, pretty much agree with the rest there, carry on! :steering:

Except they are, and in this particular case the rod lengths are damn near the same for the same stroke too.

Head flow, and more importantly flow quality, is always a variable even when makes are the same and doesn't really change the air pump part of things..

The bigger mistake I made is that I somehow read it made just over 700hp, but in reality cranks out 825+, and so the compression etc is all an entirely different game...

Thinking of it as an air pump may be helpful in finding more power. But pumping the same amount of air doesn't necessarily equal making the same amount of power between two engines. You still have combustion to deal with and many other things that affect how much power is produced. While they may be helpful flowbench numbers for the cylinder head are only flowing air (without fuel), at a steady speed and in one direction. According to poeple smarter than me thats not how it works in a running engine. So while thinking of an engine as an air pump may be an oversimplification. It still can be a helpful way to think of it.

A flowbench tells you way more than flow if you know how to use it and what to check. Perfect example would be the doctor J head witch I have had on my bench. And the first Bloomer head which I didn’t have on my bench. Port cc is important but you can’t just get in there and remove area wherever you choose.

A flowbench tells you way more than flow if you know how to use it and what to check. Perfect example would be the doctor J head witch I have had on my bench. And the first Bloomer head which I didn’t have on my bench. Port cc is important but you can’t just get in there and remove area wherever you choose.

100% FACT^^^^^^^

-
Back