Highway RPM with the 200R4. Gotta love it!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
For those of you who didn't follow my build post, I put a GM 200R4 tranny in my Dart Sport. I have a Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. With my old 904 I was at 3200 rpm at 55 mph and 4000 rpm at 70. I just got my new dash installed and the speedometer wired and calibrated. It seemed like a perfect time to show how good the rpm is now. I see my oil pressure is maxed out. I tapped the #10 wire from the harness that was supposed to be oil pressure sender. It was the wrong color, but I went with position. Wrong choice, it must not have been the OPS wire. I'm going to run a brand new wire.

70 mph and running 2600 rpm
View attachment Highway RPM 1.jpg

80 mph and just about 3000 rpm
View attachment Highway RPM.jpg

Congrats,M.T.Y..Modern drivetrain is so nice.Take it from anyone with 4 serirs gears on a freeway.

Great numbers!

Just one question....how do you do that in park:D

I really need to buy a new steering column, but I'm trying to spend a little less money. With the floor shifter in, I think I will paint the column and black out the PRNDL. Flaming River column next year, though.

I really need to buy a new steering column, but I'm trying to spend a little less money. With the floor shifter in, I think I will paint the column and black out the PRNDL. Flaming River column next year, though.

Thought it might be in the floor. Nice gauges!

I was going to pull the pin and remove the shift lever, but the more I thought about it, I was worried about it dropping out of park and not letting me start the car. I cut off the lever flush with the column. Now that you all have noticed it, I'm going to have to do something about it, damn you! :)

Nice man.. I was cruising 70 with my 3.50 gears and 28" tires my RPM was just at 3000... I bet a Od would be great.

I was going to pull the pin and remove the shift lever, but the more I thought about it, I was worried about it dropping out of park and not letting me start the car. I cut off the lever flush with the column. Now that you all have noticed it, I'm going to have to do something about it, damn you! :)

Hmmmm I just pulled mine by removing the pin. As long as the linkage is unhooked can it do that? I thought the no start thing was in the NSS, I haven't had any issues with it.

That's nice. Everybody always jumps on the GM 700 bandwagon, but you just can't tell them anything. Those 200s are all about gear ratio. Look at the difference:

Transmission 1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear OD
Turbo 350 2.52 1.52 1 N/A
Turbo 400 2.48 1.48 1 N/A
2004R 2.74 1.57 1 0.67
700R4 /4L60 3.06 1.63 1 0.7
4L80E 2.48 1.48 1 0.75

As you can see, the 2004R has the closest gear ratio of any of them. People who use the 700 and think they have a better transmission are spoon fed wrong information. They always throw up the 3.06 first gear as being great, but that's what makes the 700 SUCK so bad. LOL The 2004R was built for acelleration. That's why they are such a good swap. But you can't tell some people anything.

Yup, swapping to this transmission completely changes the feel of the car. I knew that switching from a 904 would be different (even though the low gearset ratios are almost identical), but it's a totally new car. I love my 2004r, it was definitely worth it.

That's nice. Everybody always jumps on the GM 700 bandwagon, but you just can't tell them anything. Those 200s are all about gear ratio. Look at the difference:

Transmission 1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear OD
Turbo 350 2.52 1.52 1 N/A
Turbo 400 2.48 1.48 1 N/A
2004R 2.74 1.57 1 0.67
700R4 /4L60 3.06 1.63 1 0.7
4L80E 2.48 1.48 1 0.75

As you can see, the 2004R has the closest gear ratio of any of them. People who use the 700 and think they have a better transmission are spoon fed wrong information. They always throw up the 3.06 first gear as being great, but that's what makes the 700 SUCK so bad. LOL The 2004R was built for acelleration. That's why they are such a good swap. But you can't tell some people anything.

I thought people did 700r4's because they are more common and in stock form they hold more power than the 200r4(excluding the GN versions). So it's "better" if you're building a chevy on a strict budget.

I needed that the other day when the mustang with two more gears wanted to race on the highway.
I pulled away from him but had to back down at top rpmwhile he had two more gears to play with....bye, bye.

Negative on the 700 strength. The 200 is by far the better transmission in every aspect. Think Buick Grand National and GNX. They came with 200s. Just a chip and slicks and those were 10 second cars. NO other mods necessary. The 700 was being made at the same time. Trust me, if the 700 was better, it wouldda got used. I don't know why there's so much misinformation about this out there.......stupid as it sounds, I think maybe people think since the 700 is a higher number, it's a better transmission. Taint true. Not one bit.

For those of you who didn't follow my build post, I put a GM 200R4 tranny in my Dart Sport. I have a Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. With my old 904 I was at 3200 rpm at 55 mph and 4000 rpm at 70. I just got my new dash installed and the speedometer wired and calibrated. It seemed like a perfect time to show how good the rpm is now. I see my oil pressure is maxed out. I tapped the #10 wire from the harness that was supposed to be oil pressure sender. It was the wrong color, but I went with position. Wrong choice, it must not have been the OPS wire. I'm going to run a brand new wire.

70 mph and running 2600 rpm
View attachment 1714508797

80 mph and just about 3000 rpm
View attachment 1714508798

i can redo your column and convert it into a smooth one, i had one that was a spare one i redid and sold to another gent on this site for $150 if you provide me with yours, pay for the shipping both ways and let me redo it for you. i can smooth it out including ridding it of the indicator wart for $100. as long as thats all you require. if any of the electrical is messed up in it (ignition electrical switch, or turn signal assembly) you will have to provide me with the parts to fix that while i have it apart. and i will do that at no additional charge since i have to take all that apart while i'm modifying it.

you will get it back with all 3 of the upper collar pieces sandblasted smoothed out, and primered. you will have to repaint these to whatever color you want. you will need to keep your turn signal stick to reinstall when you get the column back. however send it with the existing ignition lock cylinder as you will have to dissassemble the column to remove it anyways, and i would prefer to recieve the column intact to it being sent in pieces where stuff can get lost. you will get it back with ignition lock cylinder reinstalled, or not if you would prefer to paint it before reinstalling the lock cylinder (i can explain this part in more detail later)

send me your email addy to [email protected], and i will send you a few pics of what it will look like when you get it back. this includes pinning the shifter tube so the lower collar cannot move. this will take me about a week from reciept of the part to when i can get it in the mail back to you.

thanks for your time

matt

i can redo your column and convert it into a smooth one, i had one that was a spare one i redid and sold to another gent on this site for $150 if you provide me with yours, pay for the shipping both ways and let me redo it for you. i can smooth it out including ridding it of the indicator wart for $100. as long as thats all you require. if any of the electrical is messed up in it (ignition electrical switch, or turn signal assembly) you will have to provide me with the parts to fix that while i have it apart. and i will do that at no additional charge since i have to take all that apart while i'm modifying it.

you will get it back with all 3 of the upper collar pieces sandblasted smoothed out, and primered. you will have to repaint these to whatever color you want. you will need to keep your turn signal stick to reinstall when you get the column back. however send it with the existing ignition lock cylinder as you will have to dissassemble the column to remove it anyways, and i would prefer to recieve the column intact to it being sent in pieces where stuff can get lost. you will get it back with ignition lock cylinder reinstalled, or not if you would prefer to paint it before reinstalling the lock cylinder (i can explain this part in more detail later)

send me your email addy to [email protected], and i will send you a few pics of what it will look like when you get it back. this includes pinning the shifter tube so the lower collar cannot move. this will take me about a week from reciept of the part to when i can get it in the mail back to you.

thanks for your time

matt

I appreciate that. It would mean a week without the car in the heat of summer. I don't think I could do that to myself. Maybe this winter, but a stainless Flaming River is really calling my name. Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it.

Negative on the 700 strength. The 200 is by far the better transmission in every aspect. Think Buick Grand National and GNX. They came with 200s. Just a chip and slicks and those were 10 second cars. NO other mods necessary. The 700 was being made at the same time. Trust me, if the 700 was better, it wouldda got used. I don't know why there's so much misinformation about this out there.......stupid as it sounds, I think maybe people think since the 700 is a higher number, it's a better transmission. Taint true. Not one bit.

yes, but thats why i said excluding the GN versions. I read around that the GN/GNX/T-type/monte carlo ss 200r4s are a bit beefier than the typical 200r4, but the typical 200r4 in the many A/G bodies is fairly weak.(stock form only here)

Obviously built up to built up the gear ratio alone makes the 200r4 a better tranny.

yes, but thats why i said excluding the GN versions. I read around that the GN/GNX/T-type/monte carlo ss 200r4s are a bit beefier than the typical 200r4, but the typical 200r4 in the many A/G bodies is fairly weak.(stock form only here)

Obviously built up to built up the gear ratio alone makes the 200r4 a better tranny.

The 200R4 that comes in the GN and SS's is a stock 200R4. They didn't make a 'beefier' one, but many people had them built when they stepped up their horsepower. The 200R4 is good because of the gear ratio, no doubt. The reason I used it was because I wanted no tunnel mods and as close to a bolt in overdrive as possible. The 200R4 gives you that on most A bodies.

Old post.but gonna ask anyway. How much of your floor or torsion bar crossmember did you have to cut away? Thanks.

-
Back