holley problems

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i have a 600 holley that i rebuilt 4months ago because back float was getting stuck and flooding carb now problem has started again any ideas what causes this

no just a basic rebuild kit i cleaned every thing and replaced gaskets and float check valves but once again tonight on way home i couldnt get it to start and when after several attempts to crank i pulled air cleaner and noticed back barrels where having fuel being leaked in to them so i tapped it on the back side of carb and it stopped so i took out check valve and looked for particles or dirt / crap and seen none cleaned it off and car fired up now im home waiting on sunrise lol

Most likely a piece of trash found its way between the needle and seat. May want to change fuel filter and clean out the bowls.

Is it possible you have a sinking float?

Could the float pivots be worn, bent, sloppy, and causing the float to bind?

I've actually forgotten--been awhile---does it have a "float drop" spec?

This would be a bendable tab that STOPS the float from dropping too far, which allows the needle to bind

and, as others have said, CLEAN. Use a good filter, blow you the lines if any suspicion, might even pump a sample into a gallon jug and look for fine dirt.

In my limited experience, Holley carbs don't HAVE problems, they ARE problems. I've discovered that if you want to go all-out, top end, drag race, acceleration to the max then Holley carbs are for you. If you want a car that will actually idle, has good low end power and overall driveability then it's Carter or Edelbrock all the way. I know this doesn't help your problem, so pardon my soapbox......good luck figuring it out!

Most likely a piece of trash found its way between the needle and seat. May want to change fuel filter and clean out the bowls.

x2

The Holley needle and seat can be very sensitive to this.

Pulling the needle and seat, and hitting it with carb cleaner would probably get things working again (until the next piece of fuel system dirt hits it).

I clean my holley (hate them) bowls by removing a bowl screw at the bottom of the bowl and removing the top screw from the opposite side. Place a clean white rag/paper towel under the bottom screw before you remove it to catch any thing that comes out. Then get a can of carb cleaner and flush out the bowl from the top screw hole. Hope you can find some thing in the rag that came out. Why didn't carter make a six pack set up?

I'll tell yall this........... I got so tired of Holley problems yrs ago that instead of buying a another carb or switching to a Eddy that I got on the computer and started to learn. I have learned so much more on what to do for each problem that I don't have those problems any longer. The last time I had a fuel related problem was I had a vapor lock going on somewhere but it wasn't associated with the carb.

I was having problems because I didn't know how to correctly tune them. My foot is heavy so I need a all out performance carb. I don't need the "Cruiser" Eddy carb. Tried three different Eddies 500, 600, and 750 CFM. Two I had borrowed from a friend. Nahh no thanks.... I like to see the front of my car jump up when I nail it not just set there.

I clean my holley (hate them) bowls by ..................... get a can of carb cleaner and flush out the bowl from the top screw hole.

THIS is a REAL BAD idea, at least on 4 bbls and probably others. "Real" carb cleaner WILL damage the rubber/ neoprene stuff in vacuum or power valve diaphragms and pumps. If there are other plastic parts or o rings (needles and seats) it can and will damage them too

You might get lucky if you do this quickly, then again......................

THIS is a REAL BAD idea, at least on 4 bbls and probably others. "Real" carb cleaner WILL damage the rubber/ neoprene stuff in vacuum or power valve diaphragms and pumps. If there are other plastic parts or o rings (needles and seats) it can and will damage them too

You might get lucky if you do this quickly, then again......................

We are talking spay cans-not the big can of dunking carb cleaner. Will not hurt neoprene and I strongly doubt it would hurt viton used in the needle valve and I know of no plastic used inside the Holley.

We are talking spay cans-not the big can of dunking carb cleaner. Will not hurt neoprene and I strongly doubt it would hurt viton used in the needle valve and I know of no plastic used inside the Holley.

I know what you are talking about and some brands WILL damage neoprene and other materials. Buy hey, it's YOUR Holley

Rubber fuel line deteriorating? If it's getting trash in it, that's not the carbs issue.

One thing I have noticed is the new style fuel is not kind to the o-ring on needle & seat assemblies.

Check that the float isn't full of fuel, causing it to sink.

Unless there are two of them, Carter/ede carbs are for taxi cabs... :)

Rubber fuel line deteriorating? If it's getting trash in it, that's not the carbs issue.

One thing I have noticed is the new style fuel is not kind to the o-ring on needle & seat assemblies.

Check that the float isn't full of fuel, causing it to sink.

Unless there are two of them, Carter/ede carbs are for taxi cabs... :)

x2
I am by no means an expert in this field, but, I totally agree with checking your fuel hoses. I've been noticing, for a few years now, rubber fuel line deteriation. I don't know if the material in the hose is different or the fuel is that much more aggresive. Either way, it can cause you problems.

im starting to think about the fuel line situation and for what it costs its time to change that also plus filter and clean carb out again so can anyone suggest what type or name of fuel line to buy cause i dont trust the kids at local parts store if yall know what i mean all they do is look in computer and thats the rule to them i dont want to buy what i already have

im starting to think about the fuel line situation and for what it costs its time to change that also plus filter and clean carb out again so can anyone suggest what type or name of fuel line to buy cause i dont trust the kids at local parts store if yall know what i mean all they do is look in computer and thats the rule to them i dont want to buy what i already have

Go to a place that makes hydraulic hoses for earthmoving machines and buy your fuel line from them.
They only stock quality product.

We have a place called Amazon hose here in Tampa that custom makes hose. I'm sure you have one in Jacksonville, if not tell me what you need and I'll pick it up for you.

In my limited experience, Holley carbs don't HAVE problems, they ARE problems. I've discovered that if you want to go all-out, top end, drag race, acceleration to the max then Holley carbs are for you. If you want a car that will actually idle, has good low end power and overall driveability then it's Carter or Edelbrock all the way. I know this doesn't help your problem, so pardon my soapbox......good luck figuring it out!

i never have those problems with my holleys. i have the best of both worlds with them. they idle great and the performance is great. its usually a guy that doesn't know how to tune them or a guy that slaps them on a car with a filthy fuel system that has problems with them.

-
Back