holley vs Edlebrock

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi ALL I don't know if this has been asked before..most likely has but here goes.I currently have a 750 Eddie carb on my 340,electric choke.I'm not happy the way the choke works and the carb seems to be holding the power back some.I bought a new Holley 750 DP. and wanted some advice on which carb you think performs better. Thanks in advance!

I had same issues with my 360, edelbrock is a good run around carb in my opinion but I could tell an immediate difference when I put the holley on, made my engine a lot more responsive, but it does use more gas now

I had same issues with my 360, edelbrock is a good run around carb in my opinion but I could tell an immediate difference when I put the holley on, made my engine a lot more responsive, but it does use more gas now
The amount I drive my Duster the extra gas is worth it! Thanks for responding!

Holley. Course my first choice is Thermoquad.

I forgot to mention it's the Holley 3310 that I bought.I was told they are the best bang for the buck,besides my wife! lol..

Holley......

I switched from a eddy 600 1406 to a 650 holley dp big difference but more gas

Craig you can buy a spring kit for the 3310,the different spring pressures are so your secondaries will open sooner or later.Whichever you prefer.

There is more power in a Holey carb, however, if you know how to modify a Carter, it can complete and compete well. Neither or that at the moment, were talking OOTB and such right? I think so.

IMO, if the car is a Hot Rod and not just a enjoyment toy, a Holley is probably the better carb to make power with.

Carters tend to hold a good tune, stay steady and offer excellent overall performance. Very good driveabilty. Jet it, set it, forget about it.

The Holley offers (IMO at least) more mid range torque and high RPM HP. Air entering the carb is nicer over the Carter. As far as more fuel, a lot depends on the state of tune and the actual booster used.

Some find more/better results with different boosters. I have not payed to much attention to it since I have stayed with the OE Carters, mostly due to cash flow. I have learned to make'em work and what they will tolerate. OE Carters do not a lot of cam duration. Once you start getting on the big side, they get cranky and need work.

Craig you can buy a spring kit for the 3310,the different spring pressures are so your secondaries will open sooner or later.Whichever you prefer.
Hey Scott, I'm not the brightest egg when it comes to carb's! For a vacuum secondary carb it must be hooked to the distributor in order to work??

Hey Scott, I'm not the brightest egg when it comes to carb's! For a vacuum secondary carb it must be hooked to the distributor in order to work??

No, the secondaries diaphragm gets it's vacuum signal internal to the carb and both vacuum second. and mechanical secondary (DP'r) carbs have a port at the carb base, most have 2 ports, to be hooked to the dizzy vacuum advance pod.

Use 2 small Edelbrocks, best of both worlds.

The 750 Carter / Edlebrock really is too big for its boosters, something with the design. A 600--650 AVS works better. The fuel drops out of the slow air stream on the 750 Eddies, so a 600--650 is better in most cases. You need to lighten up the air door--even just remove if you got enough stall and gear. The pump shot can be made longer but its not always needed.

If you want dual carbs, SBM intakes are hard to find, only downside... and extra costs. But then I get 11 mpg vs the 9--10 mpg with any Holley/Demon carb I had before....maybe in 5--10 years it pay the difference from fuel savings?

My car can sit for 2 weeks and still preform the same. Had zero problems expect minor jetting issues with my 500 Carters--for 3 season now.

I run no tube off the distributor as it always made the car surge really bad! It runs great with no surging with it off.That's why I was asking the stupid question for the secondaries.So again..it will work fine without being hooked to the distrib?

I have to admit I'm a Holley man. I'm running a 750 HP carb right now.

Attachments

• DSC02248.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 433
Craig, you'll get a better answer if you can include some of what your engine and trans combo is. The 3310 is a GREAT carburetor to slap on and go and be very easy to tune to a variety of engines. As a general rule of thumb, the vacuum secondary carbs are for automatics and the double pumpers are for manuals. Also, it's not a good comparison for you to compare your carburetor to an HP model as far as the vacuum for the distrubutor goes. Most of the HP models have no timed spark vacuum port for the distributor because they are meant for radical engines with a low vacuum signal. If your combo is mild to moderate and driven on the street at all, I highly recommend running the vacuum advance. You'll pick a little part throttle acceleration and the mileage will pick up pretty good from the part throttle timing advance. Just my two cents.

-
Back