Homegrown trim restore

-
Wanted to start by saying that this write up is great. I'm inspired to do my 67 grille now as well. I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if anyone ever found the correct back screws as I have broken ones on my grille surround as well (some from me and some from previous owner). I think I have found the rivet system and tool to do the rivets, but the damn studs are killing me to locate.

Any help would be awesome

Wanted to start by saying that this write up is great. I'm inspired to do my 67 grille now as well. I know this thread is pretty old, but I was wondering if anyone ever found the correct back screws as I have broken ones on my grille surround as well (some from me and some from previous owner). I think I have found the rivet system and tool to do the rivets, but the damn studs are killing me to locate.

Any help would be awesome

Go to page #2 post #26 by Redfish. I think that is what you are looking for? I havent used them but plan on buying some eventually.

thanks 4spdragtop

I did see that. Those aren't the same as the factory used. They will probably work just fine. I was just wondering if the same ones the factory used were ever found. I'm going to drill the brackets out of mine this weekend and take them to a fastener company here in town and see if they have any ideas.

Search on here someone posted a link to a supplier for different types of rivets. I'll try n find it and post it here.
I've never seen info on the orig studs just the replacememt ones mentioned.

I don't know if you'll find weld head studs exactly like the factory used. If so those would have no plating what so ever and would surely rust again.
If you absolutely have to have close as possible to OEM perimeter studs or if you need the smaller square head studs captured in the 67 inner surrounds you might find correct size carriage bolts and cut their button head off.

Thanks redfish

I was thinking if I couldn't find something I could fab up something along those lines.

If I find something that works better I be sure to post it.

Cudachick1968 i got all my trim clips form Mike at AMS. Price wasn't bad. Also got my bumpers from him for $325 each.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1251 (Custom).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 203
So while helping a buddy out today, I spotted something for Dads cuda grills and thought I would post pics here. Funny, Mr G's was on my list to call today. Now I don't have to, found them locally for $1.25 a piece. Only 4 in stock but I got more coming.
If anyone wants some let me know. Place is right here in town.
Pasco is the mfg. I know these are hard to find up here, so should help Canadian members.
Might give me motivation to get moving on grills.

Attachments

• 20160408_135732.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20160408_135643.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 20160408_135612.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 20160408_135741.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 159
Those ( at 67 trunk lid upper and lower trims ) are the about the only generic trim fasteners on the whole car. I use same ones in the front grilles surrounds replacing their rotten studs.

Great tip! I now have lye in my arsenal. Where did you get the compound sticks?

Another tip: Soak and re soak your rusty parts in distilled white vinegar. Clean/neutralize with baking soda and scrubbing implements as required. You will swear that the parts had been blasted.

Those ( at 67 trunk lid upper and lower trims ) are the about the only generic trim fasteners on the whole car. I use same ones in the front grilles surrounds replacing their rotten studs.

There were different sizes of these as well. Not the stud size but the body of stud is different sizes

Not a full restore yet but I wanted to replace a few of the broken studs.
Im wondering if i have to drill and remove all the rivets?
I dont want to turn this into a week long job but I dont work the fastest or greatest lol.
Looks like more than a few studs now that I look at it. 6 dammit

20170812_103842.jpg

20170812_103852.jpg

20170812_103633.jpg

20170812_105656.jpg

I only replaced 2 studs for now. That gives me a total of 6 so that should be good till hibernation. Moparfest on Friday so I didn't want to dig in too much.

20170812_135336.jpg

20170812_135346.jpg

20170812_142437.jpg

No problem glad to help. They dont even come close to the quality of mullinax grills. They will come out in winter for a more thorough restore.
Here it is all back together.
3rd pic the upward shot is a pic of the only 2 rivets that show.

20170812_180501.jpg

20170812_180510.jpg

20170812_180522.jpg

20170812_180813.jpg

Well thank you Longgone. It is not a fun job but it was worth it the end. And of course I have more work to do.

The tools I used

Dremel tool
Cordless drill
Pop rivet gun (to put it back together)
Lye
Plastic container
Wood (dent removal)
Hammer
Vice
Sand paper 100gt 220gt
Bench grinder and buffing wheels plus compounds.
Wax

View attachment 37620

View attachment 37621

View attachment 37622
'Great job." I did my rear trunk trim, but got a good deal from the "partsmonsta for the front, he did a very nice job ! Takes a lot of patients I know.

No problem glad to help. They dont even come close to the quality of mullinax grills. They will come out in winter for a more thorough restore.
Here it is all back together.
3rd pic the upward shot is a pic of the only 2 rivets that show.

Looks OK to me! Great job!
Mine still look as good as the day I put them back on the car. lol

'Great job." I did my rear trunk trim, but got a good deal from the "partsmonsta for the front, he did a very nice job ! Takes a lot of patients I know.

Yep... lot of patients

Since you brought this thread back to life I had a question about the rye. Was this a powder or a liquid. And how did you mix % wise? also how long did you soak your parts before pulling out and rinsing?
Thanks Rod

Since you brought this thread back to life I had a question about the rye. Was this a powder or a liquid. And how did you mix % wise? also how long did you soak your parts before pulling out and rinsing?
Thanks Rod
It's a powder. Picture of the lye is on page one.
To be honest I can't remember the percent of mix... it's been awhile. I used a plasitc container, mixed it up, and dipped the parts. You'll see if you have enough lye if the anodizing isn't dissolving. Enough water to just cover the parts. It wasn't that technical ... just take the parts out ever so often and see how things are going.

When you get to the buffing part using a buffer wheel be careful. You're actually removing some of the aluminum to get a shine...so it might get thin in places. I noticed that on one of my pieces.

-
Back