Homemade Caltracs

-

superchargeddrt

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just thought you might like this. My buddy Larry (with the twin turbo '88 D150) wanted Caltracs on his truck, however Caltrac doesn't make them for that application. He decided to make his own and here's how they turned out.
IMG_20190316_123121398.jpg
IMG_20190316_123108173.jpg
IMG_20190316_123049682.jpg

There are off road tra
Traction

If any more info is needed
There were offroad traction bar type deals that were made for pick ups a few yrs back that resembled the caltracs a bunch. They were a lot like leaf link set up. I bought a set and modified the heck out of them to fit my lowered 92 GMC that had a 600 horse sbc I built in it.
That truck was hooked up w/ 10" Hoosier slicks on it .

There are off road tra

There were offroad traction bar type deals that were made for pick ups a few yrs back that resembled the caltracs a bunch. They were a lot like leaf link set up. I bought a set and modified the heck out of them to fit my lowered 92 GMC that had a 600 horse sbc I built in it.
That truck was hooked up w/ 10" Hoosier slicks on it .
Yeah,
Everyone says their the hot ticket for traction. I was thinking about them for my Dart .I wonder if I would have to swap out my superstock springs? I just got some MT SS tires (255/60/15) for my Dart in some Jegs wheels that are identical to my Summit wheels except for the center cap (of course Summit quit making the wheels). As a matter of fact it looks like I could pop the center cap out of the Summit wheels and put it into the Jegs wheels. I still have the BFGs mounted on the Summit wheels so that I can swap them out easily. I got a feeling that with the new 418 stroker engine (490 HP/516TQ) that I might need more tires than I can fit under my car without modifications. So the caltracs might be the answer.

Yeah,
Everyone says their the hot ticket for traction. I was thinking about them for my Dart .I wonder if I would have to swap out my superstock springs? I just got some MT SS tires (255/60/15) for my Dart in some Jegs wheels that are identical to my Summit wheels except for the center cap (of course Summit quit making the wheels). As a matter of fact it looks like I could pop the center cap out of the Summit wheels and put it into the Jegs wheels. I still have the BFGs mounted on the Summit wheels so that I can swap them out easily. I got a feeling that with the new 418 stroker engine (490 HP/516TQ) that I might need more tires than I can fit under my car without modifications. So the caltracs might be the answer.

I have quite bit more h.p. than u stated, the caltracs aint doin it for me --so far. My new intake manifold change made it even worse------

I have quite bit more h.p. than u stated, the caltracs aint doin it for me --so far. My new intake manifold change made it even worse------
Good to know Bob, I might just give my superstock springs a go with my pinion snubber adjusted as close to the floor pan as I can.

My duster will run 10.40s all day long. 1.451 60ft. I have SS springs with Competition Enginering slide a links. Almost everyone I talked to said they wouldn’t work with SS springs. Cause they each do a different job. I also have Viking double adjustable shocks. Kim

In my experience, pinion snubbers need *** end squat to plant the tires. Pinion snubbers are almost useless without addressing squat as well. the right shocks and /6 torsion bars got me the squat I need. Stiff sidewall tires also will negate the snubber's function.

-
Back