How can i make 700 horse from a 410 stroker

-
You could just buy the engine Jack Barna built at Valley Performance in this thread. It’s just sitting in a corner at his shop I believe still.

Otherwise, you can do it with either INDY heads or W5 heads.
700 ish lift roller low-270’s @50, Indy intake, dome custom piston to get 13+ compression will get you there, once sorted.
A combo like like this(using w5 heads, my old car) just went 9.54 couple weeks ago at 3200+ pounds. Nothing exotic, just good machine work and nice parts.

I know a guy that has a brand new set of unmolested W5 heads that have been pressure tested.

BTW, since we're spending 79Powerwagon's money - what is the budget here, Sir? Unlimited? If so, 700 hp from a small bock is no problem just call Brett. Or is it more like "let's try not go over $10K and I'll be happy with what I end up with" or even "I got a couple decent parts and maybe $3-4 grand..."

Guessing it's somewhere in between all this but it would help to know if you're able to spend the coin on pro-level head porting plus all the peripheral stuff like an appropriate valve train, oiling system updates, something like a Mopar 420 intake, custom headers, pro carburetor, etc.

I'm sure some of suggestions here that are based on best-case-scenario meaning you're willing and able to pony up for a $4-5K+ set of heads plus whatever else is needed to make them work aw designed. We don't need to know exctly how much but it would help to narrow the scope if we had a clearer idea of what your spending limitations are.

Budget is why I suggested going BB because I'm fairly certain you could get to 700hp for well under $10k. You could easily sell the 410" short block for good money and use the funds towards a big cube BB. Again, to me, a 500+" combo just makes way more sense in this situation than 410".

Also - sorry if I missed it but what actually is the rest of the combo? I know you said there is a motor plate and a tube chassis but beyond that, what is the trans, fuel system, exhaust... is the 410" short block straying the same? What is the compression ratio right now? What else is staying or are you willing to change stuff to suit the targeted number and have the truck do what you want it to do? Will your current trans live behind a 7K + rpm, 700 hp motor trying to move literally 2 1/2 tons as fast as possible through the mud?

Beyond the money factor, a low deck stroker with a light rotating assembly won't be much more if any weight over a small block. Heck, if it's 'race only' put aluminum rods in it, fill it with hard block and make it 15:1. You'll be at 800hp before you even break a sweat.

Just my 2 bits.

1st I'd narrow down the head choices for a 700hp sbm can't be that long, 2nd intake/carb choices tunnel ram, single 4 bbl ? 3rd spec out a solid roller and cr for 700 hp on what gas, what 410 short block parts/mods can handle 700hp etc...

Lot of the choices is gonna be compromises specific to you, are there others running what you want in other trucks, them and their builders are who you should be asking.

Last edited:
1st I'd narrow down the head choices for a 700hp sbm can't be that long, 2nd intake/carb choices tunnel ram, single 4 bbl ? 3rd spec out a solid roller and cr for 700 hp on what gas, what 410 short block parts/mods can handle 700hp etc...

Lot of the choices is gonna be compromises specific to you, are there others running what you want in other trucks, them and their builders are who you should be asking.
Easily availible, as in off the shelf 700hp heads are limited, the indy 230 or 245 cnc is it. There is a big gap here if a company would step in to fill it!

Easily availible, as in off the shelf 700hp heads are limited, the indy 230 or 245 cnc is it. There is a big gap here if a company would step in to fill it!

Isn’t a big gap because there is very little market for it.
For one thing, 700 horse( real track horsepower) will require an aftermarket block, Other than +- 3300 plus machining for a Ritter, you are looking at a 3-4k R type block IF you find someone selling.
The above hurdle alone makes anything to follow on the build extremely finite.
Got the “ new money” crowd driving around already in 700+ horse modern hemi cars( or putting them in older stuff more increasingly every day)
then you have the ultra high end guys skipping right over this stuff and going W8/W9 Much better 48 degree stuff.
Virtually nobody got their toes wet on the Victor heads because they were 3500 bucks for starters, and you still have the block dilemma and no “ kit“type pistons available for a 15 degree head. Hardly anybody brings them up, or wasn’t even aware Eddie didn’t have any until Jack Barna did that 376 cube build that has been seen now by quite a few people. It’s just a dark black hole with no blocks that are suitable

The fact is, like it or not, the 59 degree Chrysler small block stuff is by and large a dying breed, made up of old timers like me and Pittsburgh racer and others that still are dinosaur lovers.
And there is plenty of stuff around that will make 600+ and a stock block will live under that is readily available.

Isn’t a big gap because there is very little market for it.
For one thing, 700 horse( real track horsepower) will require an aftermarket block, Other than +- 3300 plus machining for a Ritter, you are looking at a 3-4k R type block IF you find someone selling.
The above hurdle alone makes anything to follow on the build extremely finite.
Got the “ new money” crowd driving around already in 700+ horse modern hemi cars( or putting them in older stuff more increasingly every day)
then you have the ultra high end guys skipping right over this stuff and going W8/W9 Much better 48 degree stuff.
Virtually nobody got their toes wet on the Victor heads because they were 3500 bucks for starters, and you still have the block dilemma and no “ kit“type pistons available for a 15 degree head. Hardly anybody brings them up, or wasn’t even aware Eddie didn’t have any until Jack Barna did that 376 cube build that has been seen now by quite a few people. It’s just a dark black hole with no blocks that are suitable

The fact is, like it or not, the 59 degree Chrysler small block stuff is by and large a dying breed, made up of old timers like me and Pittsburgh racer and others that still are dinosaur lovers.
And there is plenty of stuff around that will make 600+ and a stock block will live under that is readily available.
I think there are more than you think, this thread is an example, especially if someone could prices down a little on it. You are right about the Victor heads, their price alone hurt them. You are right about blocks for now, but maybe there is hope for the future.

Left over R blocks and brand new Ritter blocks are the only current options. The doubt anybody in the big corporate world or regular guys will make a comparable type of Ritter block knowing how much went into that!

I think there are more than you think, this thread is an example, especially if someone could prices down a little on it. You are right about the Victor heads, their price alone hurt them. You are right about blocks for now, but maybe there is hope for the future.

there really aren’t more guys than I think…lol
i have posted on Moparts almost 25 years, here a few years now, attend the big Mopar races, was even a sponsor of the biggest one….there are only so many guys building non W8/9 stuff wanting to make 700 horse with LA stuff.
what we see on this site is an example. Only a tiny handful of guys with 8 and 9 sec 59 degree stuff. It’s just the truth, lots of talk about such stuff, but actually running it and having it…not so much

there really aren’t more guys than I think…lol
i have posted on Moparts almost 25 years, here a few years now, attend the big Mopar races, was even a sponsor of the biggest one….there are only so many guys building non W8/9 stuff wanting to make 700 horse with LA stuff.
what we see on this site is an example. Only a tiny handful of guys with 8 and 9 sec 59 degree stuff. It’s just the truth, lots of talk about such stuff, but actually running it and having it…not so much
Quite a few of my friends were Mopar guys now building chevies because the stuff wasnt there or was way to expensive to build 600-700 hp small block mopars. They build LS1's now and drive an LS1 duster and a camaro. Not many younger people post here or Moparts, and not everything is built for major track events.
I dont want to get too off into the weeds and derail the thread anymore.

Left over R blocks and brand new Ritter blocks are the only current options. The doubt anybody in the big corporate world or regular guys will make a comparable type of Ritter block knowing how much went into that!
Where are the original castings at? Could they be copied?

My friend just did a break in run on a W8 370 inch build…engine is built for boost with 10:1 comp with efi … they put it on the dyno with a 950 carb and regular distributor to seat the rings and do a valve train adjustment…it was north of 750hp with no real tuning on pump gas…

Where are the original castings at? Could they be copied?
I think the thing to do is show Blueprint engines there is a market. He has talked about recasting blocks for their crate engines. I believe the only blocks they dont recast for their product line is the small block mopar.

My friend just did a break in run on a W8 370 inch build…engine is built for boost with 10:1 comp with efi … they put it on the dyno with a 950 carb and regular distributor to seat the rings and do a valve train adjustment…it was north of 750hp with no real tuning on pump gas…
I the W8's and 9's are the answer when you want to make 800 or more horsepower. 650 - 750hp right now the only real option are the indy heads.

OP might want look at Sprint car stuff for ideas. 410" combos seem pretty standard but I believe they are A8 based which is a totally different animal than a 340 resto block. The A8 is an aluminum dry sump block. Big $$$$$ if you can even find one, like $1X,***+.

Sprint Car engine book.

2015 Bang Shift A8 article.

Have not heard from Mr. 79powerwagon these last few posts. Maybe he is re-thinking this whole deal? Be curious to know what he has gleaned from this thread. It's a unique application for sure.

OP might want look at Sprint car stuff for ideas. 410" combos seem pretty standard but I believe they are A8 based which is a totally different animal than a 340 resto block. The A8 is an aluminum dry sump block. Big $$$$$ if you can even find one, like $1X,***+.

Sprint Car engine book.

2015 Bang Shift A8 article.

Have not heard from Mr. 79powerwagon these last few posts. Maybe he is re-thinking this whole deal? Be curious to know what he has gleaned from this thread. It's a unique application for sure.
The sprint car stuff hasnt been made in something like 20 years, when mopar pulled out of world of outlaws. Pretty much unobtainium. Also, hes only asking for 650 to 700hp. Sprint car stuff at the time was 850 to 900. Way overkill.

Last edited:
Some of actually work for a living
and don't live on the internet lmao I'm not boosting anything.
Here's your 700 horse

-
Back