how large of a carb can perform well on stock 273 commando ?

-
The Edelbrock on my sons 318 seemed to run a bit lean at Idle. Hard to to keep running when cold. I was going to try different rods to richen it up a little, but the 4295s carb ran so good, we just left it on. His car is an automatic. Sometimes you can loosen the screws on the throttle blades, close them to center them better and retighten. If you wanted to try your original carb again someday. Nice Threads by the way.

Sorry for going off topic but I would like some info on the commando valve covers shown. I recently picked up a pair that require cleaning up and repainting. Was told by the seller it was probably wrinkle paint but niether they or those in pics look wrinkled. What is the proper finish?
Also would appreciate suggestions for cleaning up the aluminum fins. Have started with 220 grit paper and then progressing up with finer grits. It's
coming along but very slowly. Any ideas for speeding things up.
Sorry for butting in.
Thanks Bob

Sorry for going off topic but I would like some info on the commando valve covers shown. I recently picked up a pair that require cleaning up and repainting. Was told by the seller it was probably wrinkle paint but niether they or those in pics look wrinkled. What is the proper finish?
Also would appreciate suggestions for cleaning up the aluminum fins. Have started with 220 grit paper and then progressing up with finer grits. It's
coming along but very slowly. Any ideas for speeding things up.
Sorry for butting in.
Thanks Bob
Yes the valve covers are black wrinkle finish. Our own Leanna who owns Phoenix Specialty Coatings restores them and does a wonderful job. She did mine here. tmm

Attachments

• engine 296.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 263
  • spring break09 009.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 265
Thanks tmm. They look great. I knew Leanna does very nice work. I recently retired and with the season having a little extra time .....thought I would worry away at it myself.--- Hope I don't regrete that.
Thanks again.

The best carb on the 273 for me was carter competition 500 made way more torq down low better crusing milage. So Edi bought carter so but there 500.

I had an old 6610 Holley DP on my 71 318 Dart. I even removed the choke horn on it. That thing started whether it was -20 with snow or 100* with 90% humidity out in IL ....pump it twice and turn key...EVERY TIME! I was 18 and it was my daily driver at the time :) Purchased the same model for my 318 build going into the Valiant.

It's been a year past now........ here is a video of the 65 dartcharger 273 . after I installed headmann headers , a x-pipe and ultraflo mufflers. skroll down and open the big box .. the video is in there..
[ame="http://s446.photobucket.com/user/stroker402/media/3d2cdd52.mp4.html?sort=3&o=21"]Nice Rev Seafoam Tips No Smoke Video by stroker402 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/bth_3d2cdd52.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/bth_3d2cdd52.mp4[/ame]

I'd like to see this, but I can't get your video to open. Anyone else?

here is the video again .. you have to scroll down in the box with the advertisements to see video. there are several videos there.

[ame="http://s446.photobucket.com/user/stroker402/media/3d2cdd52.mp4.html?sort=3&o=21"]Nice Rev Seafoam Tips No Smoke Video by stroker402 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/bth_3d2cdd52.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/bth_3d2cdd52.mp4[/ame]

ok .. try this video.. 65 dodge dartcharger

A 500 is probably plenty but I don't think that the CFM is as much the root of your
problem as the fact that it is a double pumper. A well tuned vacuum secondary carb
will surely be much more compatible..

here is another shot of the dartcharger 273 screamer . ...

looking at this pic, one thing screams in my head DOUBLE RETURN SPRINGS!!! ALWAYS!!:burnout:

Im using a 4295s 500 cfm carter carb. runs great

-
Back