How much did you pay for your A Body

-
Bought mine back in '05, can't remember if it was $1,200 or 1,400? Either way it was a great deal. Found it online, turns out the car was only a few blocks from my house and had been in the same city since new. It had a 225/904/7.25 setup in it but in '07 I swapped it over to a 318/904/8.8. After the stock drivetrain had served me well as a daily driver I gave the engine and trans. to another member on here. The 318 and 904 I picked up for free from a couple of brothers I worked with. Currently the car is somewhat torn apart as I upgrade and redo a few items like the headers, shifter, wiring, and rear suspension. I have rebuilt everything on this car myself minus the machine work to the engine. http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/dart1964/?action=view&current=002-3.mp4

Attachments

• dartswapsize.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 281
In 1983 when I was just 16 and a new driver, a guy towed a non-running 318 4dr '74 Dart into Dad's shop...gave it to him. I did a tune up, cleaned out the clogged carbon in the heat cross over under the intake, put front tires on it and cleaned 9 years of nicotine out of the interior... Drove it for about 6 months and sold it for $900 because another guy gave us a /6 2dr '71 Swinger...needed an engine. Just happened to have one with ~500k on it laying around, so in it went....Drove it for almost a year and sold it for $800 to the guy who bought the other one..... No pics of either car.

My 15 yr old son just gave an old guy $400 for this 65 B'cuda ths past July..... We are now about $1500 deep in parts for it, including the purchase price of the car.....

Attachments

• made it home 7 2011.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 246
Paid $2- k, day one barn find.

cudaoffflatbed.jpg

Ten year nickel and dime restoration/ resto mod, and yes I drive the hell out of it.

pops-1.jpg

4.jpg

I paid $250 for my first car. A buddy in highschool had drove his grandmothers tan 73 Scamp to our schools autoshop for a tune-up. I looked it over and performed the maintenance on it. When she came to pick it up that evening i asked her if she was willing to sell it...she said sure and handed me the receipt for the tune-up(shop fees, oil/filter and plugs) and said give me this much and its yours. I had the car all through highschool, it was a /6 two door car, completely rust free. I collected and rebuilt a 383, 727 and 8 3/4 for it over the course of 3 years. I never got to finish the car as i enlisted in the AF that fall and had to sell everything to fund my and my wifes wedding.

Fast forward 13 years and ive finally been able to find a old A body to do right... I paid $850 for my 66 Valiant rust bucket. Slowely restoring it as it need a ton of body work and rust repair.

-Jake

Here's a pic of how the Duster looked when I first got it. Sorry it's a bad pic.
Bought it back in september of 2002 for $6,500. bucks. Now have about
10-11 grand in it.

Attachments

• Duster first pic.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 274
$1,200 for my H-code 71' Duster. Major restoration, replaced both quarters, front fenders & rockers, saved the doors, hood, decklid, and roof.

Found it in a chicken coop where it had sat for 12 years in Fremont Michigan.

Got a 1970 340 from a 70' Cuda and is a beast of a motor.

Attachments

• Transcript 1 002.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Transcript 1 005.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Duster UP.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 276
I gave $4500 for my 71' Scamp with 50k original miles on it. It's never been restored, and is in pretty damn good shape. I got a set of spindles and disc brakes for the front with it, repair manuals, and a bunch of extra stuff.

The P.O.S put a cam, eddy intake and carb and the scoops on it. Full story and more pics are here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=86777&highlight=1971+scamp

Attachments

• scamp.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 256
Lots of cool stories here,
We will post our story when I can add some before and present pics to it.

Keep em coming, good reading stuff here.

Bob / Bryce

Cant remember if I told my purchase story in this thread or not?

I bought this 71 340 Demon last September for $15,000 drive out price from a Chevrolet dealership in south Georgia. Some one who restored it in 2005 traded it in on a new car. I talked to the person who traded it in and he only drove it to car shows. He is a B-body guy and was not attached to the demon. It is a real H 340 demon and looks showroom new inside and out. It was a real win win situation for me because it was the car I have always wanted and could never build one myself for that price. I sold the 72 Dart in the picture for $7,000 in October to help pay for the Demon. I originally bought the Dart as you see it in 2000 for $6500.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 176
wow cool old thread ......i am going to try and go back and read them all.

My main project now is a 68 dart ...it was given to me as a birthday gift from my adoptive family this past June.

in the six months i have had it, i have done a lot of changes.....it was wayyyy more grandma style when i got it.

Attachments

• CIMG1354.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 203
I was going to look at a slanty that was rattle canned flat black after work. On one of my breaks I checked CL and saw this 72 Swinger project for sale. Instead of looking at the slanty I went and checked out the Swinger. The seller stated that he literally found the car in a field, hooked up a good battery and poured gas in the carb and she started right up and he drove it onto his trailer. He got the car home, stripped it down and took the rolling chassis to the body shop. 10 months later, the only work done on the car was the trunk, under hood, and door jambs were painted. And the body shop went out of business!!! The seller was done with this project. He was asking $1600 for it and that was with the original 318, another 360, a 8 3/4, and boxes of parts. We shook hands transferred funds and loaded the car on my trailer and I took it home. Went back the next day to get all of the boxes and the big stuff. This all took place when I was living in Cali, and this was an original Cali car. 8 months later, I took her on her first drive around the block and haven't looked back since!!!!!!

I paid $8000.00 for my dart when I got it and it looked the same then as it does now. It had been sitiing for 7 years so I had the typical repairs ( new battery, all new fluids, new front tires and all new belts) and I had to replace the oil pan. That was in 2011.

Attachments

• P1080985.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 152
I bought my 1970 340 4 speed for $900 in 1975. I rebuilt the engine and somehow survived "driving it" for 18 months. My father gave it away sometime after I entered the service. I hear years later that it ended up around a tree somewhere.

Attachments

• Duster.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 171
Paid 400 before looking at my Duster lol just wanted another mopar then another 400 upon pickup. After driving 2 miles it took a crap on me. Towed to a shop to get the exhaust done.guy lost the title never had it in his name.was lucky enough to get ahold of original owner nice guy. Told me everything about the car from the day it drove off the lot to when the a$$ i got it from bought it. All the good things done to it were from the original owner.so after tons of BS and leg work she drove home limping from the shop.total now with purchase is about 2300.first one its upon picking it up notice white house carpet for interior grrrrrrrrr.

Attachments

• IMG_20120917_181523.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20121215_131614.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20130108_072234.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 152
bought it for 1,100.00 about ten years ago complete with pink heart beat strobes, red shag carpet and all flared out 80's style

dsc00092aw.jpg

today she looks like this

farmyp.jpg

dsc32782.jpg

dsc32842.jpg

dsc3232t.jpg

I paid $1500.00 back in 2004 with all the parts the guy had and sold off what I didnt need and probably paid for the car three times.

Attachments

• 100_0005 (600 x 399).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 171
4th owner. Pd $4K. 78000 org miles, all sorts of parts came with it. Some I will put on, sway control, and qtr panels. Some may end up selling, Turn signal idicators, tail lenses, hub caps. who knows. Typical Mopar, keeping me busy.

Attachments

• 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger Q#101420.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 150
I bought mine a 71 h code duster numbers matching carb alt exhaust manifolds drive train in 81 for 800.00 I can't seem to upload any photo's any suggestions thanks

I dont get it. A lot of cars bought cheaply but someone can post a rusty no motor pos and people respond to the sale ads saying good deal and that ought to sell quick and nice project. In reality they are usually suck deals for premium dollar. This board is all over the place on value. Maybe i,m just cheap cause i,m poor. Heres my 500 dollar 69 barracuda notch.Had a 6 with a rod out the side when I got it.It was rust free as in I didnt pay extra for all of it.

Attachments

• 2-11 084.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 155
-
Back