how much do machine shops typically cost?

-

TomSchichtel

73 Duster
Reaction score
I have a 72 360 motor that runs great but now I have it out of the duster and I'm looking for more out of it. Not sure if I should just get my j heads redone and some mild cam. O if I should go to a machine shop and start on the bottom end. It all depends on how much it costs to get my block bored and crank turned.

Id be more concerned about finding a quality shop that does the job right for the right price. Costs seem to vary widely depending on thier reputation and machinery.

If your going to put money into a block, go find yourself a late 80s/early 90s LA roller block. You'll be miles ahead of the game that way.
It depends on what your having them do. That said you'll usually pay more for a well known shop with a good rep.

Do the late 80 and early 90 use the intakes and other accessories from a 74 360 I already have....power steering pump, motor mounts, etc...thanks

Do the late 80 and early 90 use the intakes and other accessories from a 74 360 I already have....power steering pump, motor mounts, etc...thanks

Yes, they are still LA block/motor, they just came from the factory with roller cams. I would've gone that route had 1. I known about them when I was looking for a motor and 2. If I didn't pay next to dirt for my 340 I'd have bought a 360 roller block.

I have a reputable machinist in Lincoln NE, Spanel's. They quoted me around $1,000 for a basic assembly with my balanced rotating assembly. And they said they would go over everything. And if they weren't the balanced rotating assembly wasn't up to there standards they would redo it. So I am thinking that the $1k is there minimum and will surely go over that.

my engine is in the shop as we speak and I'm into him for about $1800. I also supplied all the parts Pistons,rods bearings everything!! He's going to line hone for crank bore out cylinder walls 30 over for my pistons and assemble the short block he also resized rods ect....hope that gives you and idea. I know he's not cheap but i know I'll have a strong motor! He has a great reputation!!

Yes, they are still LA block/motor, they just came from the factory with roller cams. I would've gone that route had 1. I known about them when I was looking for a motor and 2. If I didn't pay next to dirt for my 340 I'd have bought a 360 roller block.

Just one thing to add to this info. The magnum motor is also a roller cam,but the intake is unique and it wont accept LA intakes. Many aftermarket intakes have both LA and Magnum bolt patterns though.

Too bad Ma Mopar discontinued the big block before it had a chance to become a roller cam motor. Can you imagine where the mopar big blocks prgression would be if it had not been discontinued?

Just one thing to add to this info. The magnum motor is also a roller cam,but the intake is unique and it wont accept LA intakes. Many aftermarket intakes have both LA and Magnum bolt patterns though.

Too bad Ma Mopar discontinued the big block before it had a chance to become a roller cam motor. Can you imagine where the mopar big blocks prgression would be if it had not been discontinued?

Mag motors started 92 model year

how much do machine shops typically cost?

I don't know, I've never bought one.....

Here is my last invoice for the rebuild on my 360. He supplied the KB107's. The price is a little high, because I had him clean up the runners on my J heads. Went to 2.02 11/32" valves.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 415
  • Invoice.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 391
The magnum motor is also a roller cam,but the intake is unique and it wont accept LA intakes. Many aftermarket intakes have both LA and Magnum bolt patterns though.

Mag heads have mag intake bolt on, block is the roller cam block and will accept the earlier heads if desired.

Those are some good,honest prices,on Badart's invoice.Considering,the amount of porting done,more than a fair price.

Those are some good,honest prices,on Badart's invoice.Considering,the amount of porting done,more than a fair price.

Worth every penny. It was like Christmas day tearing open those beautiful gifts. LOL

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 378
-
Back