How much would be left on the table?

-
Not sure why. It's not crazy compression and it will bleed off plenty of cylinder pressure at lower RPMs. TIming will be key. Most guys have too much timing and way to fast of a curve for street use.

Experience. With that combination, and the way I calculate dynamic compression, it's nearly 9:1. I like the dynamic lower with pump gas. Everyone is free to run the way they want. I'd rather be safer than fight detonation.

Not sure why. It's not crazy compression and it will bleed off plenty of cylinder pressure at lower RPMs. TIming will be key. Most guys have too much timing and way to fast of a curve for street use.

This is incorrect thinking. Nothing is "bled off" as you say. The later intake valve closing simply makes compression start building later than an earlier closing event. Nothing is lost or bled off, the cylinder simply begins to make compression later in the compression stroke, therefore less compression pressure is made.

This is incorrect thinking. Nothing is "bled off" as you say. The later intake valve closing simply makes compression start building later than an earlier closing event. Nothing is lost or bled off, the cylinder simply begins to make compression later in the compression stroke, therefore less compression pressure is made.

Shh, shhh, you keep tellin' the truth and we'll have no secrets!

Rob,there you go again with common sense. A scary thing,on the internet.

Incorrect thinking or description? The end result is the same.

If you were to run 1 5/8 headers on a w2 headed, big solid cammed, 10.7:1 422 cube small block, how much power would you be missing out on?

Also, what size would be optimum? 1 7/8?

i run TTI LA 1-7/8'' headers on my w2 436''. not ideal but all i had at the time and the money tree dried up!

made 653 hp and 590 tq.

maybe 5 hp is lost due to the headers.

i run TTI LA 1-7/8'' headers on my w2 436''. not ideal but all i had at the time and the money tree dried up!

made 653 hp and 590 tq.

maybe 5 hp is lost due to the headers.
So on your 436 inch W2 motor, your saying you would only lose 5 HP going to a 1 5/8 header?

Man, I had no idea there would be such a difference in opinions on this subject. I can't say anyone is wrong or right, just keeping an open mind and filing it all away in the big ol' file cabinet in my head. I think the dyno would be the best way to solve all the different opinions, at least on my engine. Back to back tests of both sizes. I volunteer my 422 to a day or so of testing! As long as I don't have to pay, or pay as much! lol.

Regardless, I think I am going to go with 1 7/8. I want this engine to be at its full potential, so I will hold out and save for good headers/carb/converter (stuff I normally cheap out on lol).

do you have both bolt patterns on your w2 heads? if you only have one set of bolt holes you will have to get the stepped header. 1-5/8-1-3/4.

as for convertors, only 1 place to buy. ULTIMATE CONVERTOR CONCEPTS. Lenny is the best in the business.

They have both sets of holes, they are the casting '810 Econo long valves, the '995s.

Attachments

• IMG_20131015_183057.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 115
-
Back