How should I address my lower quarter rust on a budget?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
I'm in "preventative body work" mode on my duster- I don't have the time and money for proper bodywork+repaint right now so I'm trying to prevent existing problems from getting worse and make the car look as good as I can while doing so.

I want to do something about my rusty quarter panels. Is there a cheap quarter skin that available that will do the job adequately or should I resort to bondo until I can afford better replacement panels (probably at least a year away before I get to that point).

0213011115b.jpg

really the only way to fix that kind of rust is to cut it out and weld in new metal but a temp fix would be strip it down and treat it with some sort of rust killer ospho ext then some bondo and sanding (but you really need to get behind that to get to the trunk ext to clean and primer /paint that to stop the rust)

i say repair now before it gets worse, no need to mask the problem and let it grow, it will just cost you more down the road.

I'm having the same problem too, gonna do that this spring. I did one quater last spring and what I did was cut out the rust, POR-15 on the bare metal, fiberglass bondo (doesn't bubble as bad as the regular bondo) POR15 that, primer, paint. it's a quick fix until I can save enough for metal

if you dont have a welder you can use jb weld or maybe even window caulk, and hold the patch in place with sheet metal screws until it has cured. take the screws out and slap on a little bondo. everything you need can be bought at lowes except for the bondo. or you can go to walmart and get a fiberglass repair kit and patch it that way.

mine went there, rotted from inside out due to poor rear window seal.............i fannyed around with it then one day got my grinder with cutting disk, placed it against the body, closed my eyes,wimpered a bit then cut cut cut!!! im doing same now with a rear wheel arch,only way really! good luck whatever you do, my thinking ive filled mine here and there over years, it always comes back.i want a half decent paint job but pointless if the rot comes thro after 6 months.

well I know this will shake some heads.. but to be a cheap fix fast cut the rust out build a form out of duck tape and use spray foam (stuff) the expanding kind let it set over night take the duck tape off and form it..then a thin coat of plastic over it.and paint..........I did a ramcharger rockers and quarters it lasted 5yr. before showing up again then I had the money to do it right.

You really need to get behind that rust. If you notice that much damage on the exterior, then it is much worse on the inside... cutting and adding new metal is the only way to go. If you bondo the metal, you will be trapping the moister behind the quarter panel. It will come back an visit you often. If you want to please your eye on a budget and stall for some $cash$ to come your way. Then Bondo is the way to go. You need to find out where the moister is coming from or how wet dirt is cumulating. Most likely your back window gasket. Good luck on your fight against RuSt!!!:bball:

The time and money you spend on any temporary fix could be better applied to cutting it out and welding in a replacement. That panel should be a very easy one to fabricate.
Don't waste you efforts on a temporoary fix when you can do it once right.

I would grind the rust out, POR15 the metal in behind the hole as best you can with an acid brush or Qtip then patch holes with fiberglass. You can make hole patches by laying some aluminum foil on a flat surface then puting some mat and resin on it then let harden and peal off aluminum foil. Cut with scisors and use resin to glue in place and then cover larger area with mat and resin. I have vehicles that I did 10 years ago and the rust did not come back through

JB weld? Bondo bubbles? come on guys,cut it out, way behind the rusted area. then get inside, clean and treat the metal. If you don't have a mig, have somebody weld new in, then "bondo" the rest in yourself. Then you still have the paint problem...
It is not a cheap deal, with these old cars. Just do it right the 1st time, you will save $ in the long run. Oh, and when you open up that hole, be prepared to spend more. But, who else has one of these classics?

Yep i would cut it out and fab up some new pieces and butt weld them in then your done
and yes you will end up replacing more then the outer 1/4. It's a very straight forward patch to make good luck.

The best thing to do if you don't have the money to fix it properly is to just cut it out to prevent it from spreading. Im thankful that the previous owner of my challenger cut it out instead of letting it spread.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• phpQrJIdPPM.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 194
im on a budget as well my dart has rust on both side and the driver side being the best side i got a old door and cut out a patt. from the 1 i cut off the car with the russt init and formed it to it look like the qt.patch i needed ended up looking like it suppose to and didnt spend a dime on it all it cost wa some time mike

go here you can see a pic of it man i need to get back to work on this car...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=128476t

bending a patch for that won't be as hard as you think. just cut it out.

-
Back