How to cut aluminum plate?

-
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up using a chop saw with a carbide tipped wood blade. It was noisy as hell and sent chips everywhere, but it cut the 3/8" plate like butter.

If you use a skil saw or cutoff/chop saw with a carbide wood blade... get a very fine tooth blade and turn it around backwards. Chips won't be as big and the cutting not quite as violent. Take your time cutting and it'll do just fine. Sounds like you did well with the chop saw.

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up using a chop saw with a carbide tipped wood blade. It was noisy as hell and sent chips everywhere, but it cut the 3/8" plate like butter.
Yes that's how it's done. You cut aluminum just like cutting wood. Skil Saw, Miter Saw, Table Saw, Router. All with carbide tipped blades and router bits. You can put a very small amount of A-9 on the aluminum for improved finish (especially when using the router).

circular saw would work fine they don't have to be round , just cut a 3 inch strip x12"
then mark itout to cut 2 u shaped pieces 3x3 or whatever , then use some gasket seal to stick them to the frame and mabee tape around them drop the motor in and cut the exposed tape away or just tape them until the sealer sets up just a thought they don't have to be round

circular saw would work fine they don't have to be round , just cut a 3 inch strip x12"
then mark itout to cut 2 u shaped pieces 3x3 or whatever , then use some gasket seal to stick them to the frame and mabee tape around them drop the motor in and cut the exposed tape away or just tape them until the sealer sets up just a thought they don't have to be round

did u know that regular old bowl wax works great for blade lube ?

Use a table saw, or 7 1/4 inch Skil saw with a carbide tipped blade. I've cut aluminum 2 inches thick on a table saw with a carbide tipped blade.

I use a straight edge with a circular saw, and a jig saw. a good jig saw with the right blade works great on aluminum.

I used a $5HF carbide circular saw blad in my chop saw.
image_21654.jpg

I think I lost about 5 tips but it worked...and did I say it was $5?

:banghead:

Attachments

• Frickin Laser Beams.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 248
Take a print to a local shop with a CNC laser table. Or a CNC Mill such as a HOSS. You could not imagine how nice they work. I had my Valve cover gaskets scanned in. They cut me a set out of 3/8 aluminum for new bases for the covers. Took them minutes. I don't know the cost my son and freind do it for me

Negative on the cut off disk, aluminum gums up the disk.
Sawzall and beer, maybe try a different blade.
How many TPI were you using?

^^^^This. I've tried cutting aluminum with cutoff wheel...it'll do the job...EVENTUALLY, but it does dumb the wheel pretty quick.

I need to make some motor mount shims out of 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8" aluminum plate. I don't have a band saw or any other fancy tools. I made one cut with a sawzall, but it took forever. I imagine a jig saw would to. I've heard a skillsaw works, but I'm leery of using one because the parts I'm cutting are so small. Do you guys have any ideas??? Thanks.

I don't even bother cutting stuff like that anymore. I just shoot a drawing over to the local laser cutting shop and then drive over and pick up the parts. Just about everything I do anymore on the car starts with a laser cut part. No mess no fuss and they fit perfect.

I don't even bother cutting stuff like that anymore. I just shoot a drawing over to the local laser cutting shop and then drive over and pick up the parts. Just about everything I do anymore on the car starts with a laser cut part. No mess no fuss and they fit perfect.

Laser-cutting is certainly one way to do it, but there is another cutting medium that does really good work.

It's a water cutter that uses high-pressure water that has a abrasive in it. I got some 1/2"-thick aluminum plate cut for a supercharger mount a couple of years ago and was surprised at how smooth and nice the cut edges looked. It looked like it was cast that way...

I have included pictures.

The place is called "Aqua Contour" and is located near Russellville, Arkansas.

Here is the contact information:

Aqua Contour
97 Gunn Place
Russellville, AR 72802

phone (479) 890 9884

Just send them a cardboard template of the piece you want and they will put that shape into their computer. Then, they can make one, or, several identical pieces for you.

Here's a mounting plate they made for me...

Attachments

• 100_19192.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_3286.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 210
Boy, this thread just doesn't die. At the time, I was cutting some shims for my motor mounts. I ended up using (1) 3/8" shim and (1) 1/8" shim. What would a local laser cutting shop charge for those? I'm guessing WAY more than they're worth.

Waterjet is better for thicker materials, especially thick aluminum since most lasers won't cut thick aluminum. I used to work in a shop that had both water jet and laser cutters as well as rapid prototype capability.

Speaking of parts, I just unloaded a box full of parts from my local laser cutting shop. I have a new set of oil pan rail reinforcements as well as a windage tray and some valve cover spacers. Super nice quality and the cost is very fair when compared to how much work it takes to make parts like that any other way.

Waterjet is better for thicker materials, especially thick aluminum since most lasers won't cut thick aluminum. I used to work in a shop that had both water jet and laser cutters as well as rapid prototype capability.

Speaking of parts, I just unloaded a box full of parts from my local laser cutting shop. I have a new set of oil pan rail reinforcements as well as a windage tray and some valve cover spacers. Super nice quality and the cost is very fair when compared to how much work it takes to make parts like that any other way.

All good information; thanks for your post!:glasses7:

-
Back