How to interact with a police officer(s)

-
I think it is all pretty much just use common sense. If you are being stopped, it’s not really the time to be a smart *** or push boundaries to see how much you can get away with. I used that thinking when I was a kid and dealt with cops I felt were messing with me because of my family name.
And I still feel that way now as a police officer of 22 years. If anyone has true concerns of how to act around police, and have questions I’m more than happy to help.
I will not, however, stick around the thread if people turn this into something unproductive or disrespectful .

This guy was pulled over for no tags (see video below) when you can clearly see the temp tag in his rear window. Was very polite and put his hands out like asked. I'd have been afraid to get out of the car too in his situation. Luckily the douchebag older cop was fired the next day. Problem is that the younger cop was most likely trained by assholes like that older cop.

I feel there are plenty of good officers out there. Problem is these type of assholes give them all a bad name. that silent blue line makes the good ones just as guilty at times for not speaking up.

End qualified immunity and I bet the asshole officers leave or straighten their *** out.

Last edited:
Yes ending qualified immunity means that anyone can sue a police officer, for any action they felt wronged by, and the officer has to pay for his own attorney because the department doesn’t need to cover them anymore. Would you do that job without the backing of your employer if a work related issue caused you to get sued? Even wrongfully sued?

This guy was pulled over for no tags (see video below) when you can clearly see the temp tag in his rear window. Was very polite and put his hands out like asked. I'd have been afraid to get out of the car too in his situation. Luckily the douchebag older cop was fired the next day. Problem is that the younger cop was most likely trained by assholes like that older cop.

I feel there are plenty of good officers out there. Problem is these type of assholes give them all a bad name. that silent blue line makes the good ones just as guilty at times for not speaking up.

End qualified immunity and I bet the asshole officers leave or straighten their *** out.

The Army LT did not pull over right away. Did not listen to commands. Had extremely dark tint. The older officer was being aggressive from the start but we are not there, living the unknown threat in that vehicle. The Army LT was being passive aggressive from the beginning.

Had he complied from the beginning, things would not have gone the way it did.

I recommend anyone second guessing some of these officers decisions to take the Fire Arms Training class. You will learn very quickly how hard this is and how quick you need to make the decisions. This is why young adults are not applying to become officers. End qualified immunity and it will only get worse.

Yes ending qualified immunity means that anyone can sue a police officer, for any action they felt wronged by, and the officer has to pay for his own attorney because the department doesn’t need to cover them anymore. Would you do that job without the backing of your employer if a work related issue caused you to get sued? Even wrongfully sued?

Maybe they will need to carry their own insurance. It needs to be ended. As it is now they pretty much have a free pass to do just about anything.

The Army LT did not pull over right away. Did not listen to commands. Had extremely dark tint. The older officer was being aggressive from the start but we are not there, living the unknown threat in that vehicle. The Army LT was being passive aggressive from the beginning.

Had he complied from the beginning, things would not have gone the way it did.

I recommend anyone second guessing some of these officers decisions to take the Fire Arms Training class. You will learn very quickly how hard this is and how quick you need to make the decisions. This is why young adults are not applying to become officers. End qualified immunity and it will only get worse.

Those windows look like factory tint to me. Can clearly see the tag in the window so it's not that dark. Asshole was fired the next day so someone thought he was too aggressive. Too many like him out there on the streets.

Maybe they will need to carry their own insurance. It needs to be ended. As it is now they pretty much have a free pass to do just about anything.
Not true. For the most part it protects good officers, the officers who put their lives in danger for the public everyday. There is no free pass when things go bad in that line of work. Not 100% but 99% of the officers in the world do not go out on shift hoping to kill someone.

Those windows look like factory tint to me. Can clearly see the tag in the window so it's not that dark. Asshole was fired the next day so someone thought he was too aggressive. Too many like him out there on the streets.
He was fired because of the political climate we live in now. What happened to being innocent until proven guilty; only applies to the dirt bags of today. It does not exist for officers today. It's easier to fire them, and not deal with the public. I'll bet in a few months this officer has his job back and will get back pay. I'll bet he did nothing out of policy for that department. The article states the Army LT was being pulled over for the dark tint and not being able to see the temp tag.

What we have today is a climate that a race of people are controlling the media , mind set of America. They literally have our country held strong arm hostage out of fear and apathy of the candy *** masses in charge now days. All this man had to do was comply and this would have turned out to be another routine stop. It escalated because of his being uncooperative. That point will never be made in the news, why? FEAR.

Last edited:
and have things end well

1. Follow verbal commands to the freaking letter.
2. Answer questions truthfully and tersely as possible.

What part don't you understand?

Yeah really. I've just never understood why people often times do the exact opposite of what the cops say.

He was fired because of the political climate we live in now. What happened to being innocent until proven guilty; only applies to the dirt bags of today. It does not exist for officers today. It's easier to fire them, and not deal with the public. I'll bet in a few months this officer has his job back and will get back pay. I'll bet he did nothing out of policy for that department. The article states the Army LT was being pulled over for the dark tint and not being able to see the temp tag.
I like what you say until now, but I disagree with most of this. One shouldn't start an encounter with an unknown individual with disrespect. And the officer did just that. He's better off gone from the force IMO.

"What happened to being innocent until proven guilty"

Tell that to all the black folks who are getting killed for minor offences. Innocent until shot to death.

I like what you say until now, but I disagree with most of this. One shouldn't start an encounter with an unknown individual with disrespect. And the officer did just that. He's better off gone from the force IMO.
Yeah? And you let your guard down and you’ll wind up shot in the face!

This encounter did not start when they pulled over in the bright lights of the gas station. These officers initiated the stop prior and the Army LT did not pull over until they reached the gas station. I agree the older officer seemed on edge from the time the body cam is recording but again the officers do not know what they may encounter. He did not pull over and that puts a level of concern in the officers head before the body cam starts to record. I respect your opinion though and see your point.

Regarding the Taser/Gun fiasco, IMHO... First, the guy killed started off by having a warrant and bad registration. Next he should not have tried to run. That started the chain of events.

With that out of the way...

I watched the video...

The cop that shot him was obviously incompetent to the point of negligence. Probably some sort of affirmative action type hire because she was female. She should not have drawn the gun plain and simple. The taser should be holstered on the left side of her body (assuming she's right handed) so that she has to reach to draw. It's part of training and being able to perform her job under pressure.

Next, the male cop that pulled him out of the car didn't pull him out to the rear of the car and keep him under control while he was being handcuffed. That gave him the opportunity to escape while he fumbled with the cuffs. Bad training there too, but this cop's mistake should have only lead to the guy escaping rather than his death, so I find it a bit hard to assign blame to him, although there is some. If he was trained correctly, that would have been second nature.

So, you have two dumbasses coming together and one of them ending up dead.

Proper training would have prevented this... The dead guy behaving himself like he should have would have prevented it too.

This is not ragging on cops at all... I think most are much better trained, have more common sense and will perform better under pressure than she did. At least the cops I know would. She should not be a cop... Ever... Anyplace...

I know, maybe we should require thugs to go thru their own training and etiquette on how to be a trained thug. Maybe they should be made to produce a license stating they in fact had this training. I have never seen or heard to this date ANY cop walking into a church or Boy Scout camping trip and beating the hell out of a person or shooting them for absolutely no reason.

This officer could not have been nicer! And look what happened! Yes, his tactics are not great but this can happen on any stop officers are making.

Video, new details released in fatal shooting of NM state trooper
Seems being nice yields little reward. Too bad for the family, this one hit home and gave me a review of how bad it is here, and it's getting worse quick. I won't talk politics, but you get the idea.

'They' are saying the Fed agents set him up, knowing full well the guy was extremely dangerous. Cartel I'm guessing. I10 in S. NM is rough country amigo. I think officers should never work alone, ever. There should have been a partner dialed in with an AR-10 supporting.

What we have today is a climate that a race of people are controlling the media , mind set of America. .

Unfortunately you are right about this part, and unfortunately that "race of people" are white (like me). We have had all the power for a long time and too often have not used it well. And we are the solution by using that power to effect equitable change. No one deserves to die because of a minor offense. I spent 3 years in the late 70s as a commissioned officer, and quit the morning after my much older, much more macho partner almost got me and/or an innocent civilian killed doing something that was way off the training. I sweat it whenever I encounter an officer because you just don't know who the yahoos (5%) are. We shouldn't have to be afraid. None of us.

This is not ragging on cops at all... I think most are much better trained, have more common sense and will perform better under pressure than she did. At least the cops I know would. She should not be a cop... Ever... Anyplace...

****. She was a 25 year cop. Was involved in some kinda shooting a few years ago too.

****. She was a 25 year cop. Was involved in some kinda shooting a few years ago too.
I had not read that.

That type of behavior under stress is not typical of a veteran cop... and 25 years on the road is a long time to not have more stripes. I wonder if a lot of those years were spent behind a desk or in the jail.

I don’t care if you are the king of England-when you are stopped for any infraction-you do as you are told! He will be raised to”hero”status and that reason will be”BLACK RACE”! Nothing more and nothing less!! Plenty of”veterans” that have served! That does not give you a pass!

-
Back