How to remove Heater Box in 68' Dart WITH factory Air

-

sonudasouf

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've done my fair share of searching forabodies only and other places online,a long with even checking the factory service manual.

I can't figure out how to get the heater box loose in a 68' Dart with factory Air still all hooked up. All How-To's I've found seem to be for non-air, as they say there's 4 bolts in the firewall and a screw in the passenger fresh air door holding a rod going vertically that should free it up.

Also my heater motor looks different than the non-air cars I believe. I've taken out about everything I can off the firewall and she still won't come free.

Do you guys know what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Yep…you're missing the factory service manual. The 1972 book available here (pirate copy…arrrrrr!) will get you by until you can get hold of the correct '68 book.

I actually have the factory service repair manual for it, and it makes no mention of removing the box in an AC-equipped dart. What it shows for a 68' Dart is the non-AC version, and the pictures of the heater motor mount are different than mine.

It has to be removed as 2 assemblies. To remove the heater box, remove the hoses and seal plate from engine compartment, then remove the vertical rod in the intake duct, then remove the bolt on the upper left side of the heater box that's holding the 2 halves together. I think there is an actuator that has to be removed as well. If you just need the heater box out I think you can get away with leaving the a/c box installed and stop here.
If your car has the under dash vent assembly, remove it by removing the 2 nuts holding it to the underside of the dash frame with a deep socket, then it should slide out.
As far as the engine compartment, remove the 4 or 5 nuts, the 2 screws on the a/c line cover, and all the hoses. Leave the fan installed, it can come out with the box. I'm sure I'm missing something, but nothing that you couldn't easily figure out.

It has to be removed as 2 assemblies. To remove the heater box, remove the hoses and seal plate from engine compartment, then remove the vertical rod in the intake duct, then remove the bolt on the upper left side of the heater box that's holding the 2 halves together. I think there is an actuator that has to be removed as well. If you just need the heater box out I think you can get away with leaving the a/c box installed and stop here.
If your car has the under dash vent assembly, remove it by removing the 2 nuts holding it to the underside of the dash frame with a deep socket, then it should slide out.
As far as the engine compartment, remove the 4 or 5 nuts, the 2 screws on the a/c line cover, and all the hoses. Leave the fan installed, it can come out with the box. I'm sure I'm missing something, but nothing that you couldn't easily figure out.
Well lastnight I pulled the bad heater core out of my 68 Barracuda with AC.I only removed 1/2 the box(snap clips holding together)I basically did the same as you,ve wrote,but there was one last bolt holding a clamp at the firewall holding the 2 tubes together.:angry7:Talk about being a contorsionist.LOL.Anyway I got it out and am picking up a new one in 2 hrs(shocking to get one so fast here in Ontario,Canada).The PO must,ve been putting eggs in the rad to try and stop the leak,maybe just hard water?Pics for your viewing pleasure LOL..
View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 059.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 060.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 064.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 065.jpg

Well lastnight I pulled the bad heater core out of my 68 Barracuda with AC.I only removed 1/2 the box(snap clips holding together)I basically did the same as you,ve wrote,but there was one last bolt holding a clamp at the firewall holding the 2 tubes together.:angry7:Talk about being a contorsionist.LOL.Anyway I got it out and am picking up a new one in 2 hrs(shocking to get one so fast here in Ontario,Canada).The PO must,ve been putting eggs in the rad to try and stop the leak,maybe just hard water?Pics for your viewing pleasure LOL..

That heater core looks pretty bad! My heater core just had a very small leak, just enough to make a stain.
As far as the clamp on the tubes, the one with the bonding wire, that should come out with the box far enough to remove it easily, but...
When I removed mine to rebuild the whole assembly, I tried to get both boxes out together, after I realized that it wasn't going to come out, I split the 2 halves while it was dangling behind the dash and it came out easily.
When going back in, I fully installed the A/C box, and then installed the heater box afterwards. It went pretty smooth that way.
Looking at your pics, it looks like you just removed half of the heater box. If that is the case, I can see where it would have been difficult. Removing the whole heater box and then splitting it in half on the bench would be the easiest way to go.

Attachments

• rsz_img_0758.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 845
  • rsz_img_0766.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 750
We have the dash out, an a 69 Charger, next week the heater core has to come out. With the room to look at it (we have never done this); we have loosened 4 nuts firewall- engine bay side. It is loose. But there is linkage, and the accuator is part of it.But easier to see with dash out, sounds like 68; will take pics, and post here.

This was my first attempt at removing a heatercore from an old Mopar with A/C,so was scared about breaking any hoses to the A/C(hard to get around here)I also was replacing the top and lower dashpads,defrost vents.I removed the front seats for easier access too.I was schocked to get a replacement core so fast.Parts stores here usually don,t carry parts for 1968.Anyway I got it all backtogether,but can barely move today from working up under the dash.Next time I will know to remove the complete dash as a whole unit.Removing the speedo bezel without damaging anything was a real PITA.
View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 069.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 071.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 073.jpg

Hey guys,

I REALLY appreciate all the pics and hints! I managed to get it out yesterday and replace it.

In addition to what you've mentioned, I did have to remove the under dash AC vent assembly along with a bolt on the far left and about halfway up the heater box between the AC assembly and the heater box. It took a bit of maneuvering to get it out, as I tried removing all the clips but it turned out I was missing one.

Thanks again for all the help. The pics and walk-through helped immensely!

-
Back