How to tell a 65 Formula S

-

YY1

Reaction score
I know it's probably on here, but didn't see it with a cursory search.

I'm going to look at a 65 Barracuda. I'm prety sure it's a factory 273 car.
It currently has a 360.

Besides the obvious badges and front sway bar, how could I tell if it is or is not a Formula S?

I'm not too well versed in pre-66 VINs, and all I can find is that for a V8 Valliant/Barracuda, it should start with "V8..."

If it's not an S car, I have a 70-ish A body front sway bar in the shed.
Can I make that work, if I weld tabs to the LCAs?

The car appears to have factory a/c and console shift automatic.
I know a/c and form S rarely went together.

Thanks much.

...do these prices seem right?

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/65plbada.html

The only true way is to check the fender tag. The suspension package was available without the S package. If it is an S it will have a factory tach in dash. That does not mean someone didnt add a tach so the only sure way is the fender tag even though the tach is a good sign.

I have a factory formual s 65 and for sure you need to see the fender tag it will tell you for sure the id of the car. you can get information from chrysler or this website once you get the whole numbers and letters. Mine did not have ac but was an original formula s, no longer witht eh originl motor it has a 318 now but looks decent and runs great most preple think it is the original motor due to the original valve covers and 4bbl air cleaner ect.... there were not that many formula s cars in 65 so be sure.....

Werent 70's A-body Sway bars a different thickness and have the LCA Mounting tabs in a different location, meaning different width/geometry??

The '65 Formula S would also have the exhaust tip cut out on the left side of the rear valance like other Commando cars that year. Add that with the tach in the dash and the 31 under the AB on the fender tag will get you pretty close. The Broadcast sheet would be the final work however. It should be on file with Chrysler Historical. The sway bar from a '67-up A-body won't work. It's too wide and the hanger brackets aren't correct to fit the K-member.

70's A bar will not work the front end is much wider for sure. You can still buy new a bars for the 64-66 no problem they are all the same. it all changed after 66 though so later will not work at all!

Look for the Commando 273 engine including the free flowing exhaust with a rectangular cutout in the rear valance panel, front sway bar, (14”) wheels and tires, Formula S emblems and a tachometer. As mentioned check the fender tag; under A&B will be a '31' for the 273 Commando engine. Under the C will be a '2' for the formula "S" package. Also look for the build sheet for confirmation.

-
Back