How would you build a low 10’s street car

-
NO bullshit, no forum gurus, no arguin about this cam or that, no nuthin. The MP engine recipes are still relevant and still work. No arguments. The work's already done for you. Thank you Larry Shepard.

How did you mate up to the gear vendors OD to the commando box? I thought they are not compatible with the ball and trunnion design
I called up Passon Performance, and got me an E-body mainshaft. The GVod came with a long-tail adapter so the M/S was all that was needed. And I used a Passon aluminum HD case with his al. side-cover, and my front retainer. The used-gearset, I bought separately, also from Passon, and used my own sliders and brass. Thanks goes out to Jamie for the in-excellent-condition used parts, which I promptly street slick-shifted second and third gears, sorry Jamie,lol..

Last edited:
I didn’t see anyone mentioning all the broken a-833’s that will go along with trying to run low 10’s with boost, slicks, 3.55’s(well, 3.54’s in the Dana.......cuz if you keep the 8-3/4 you’ll be breaking those too) and a full weight “I might want to use it as my daily” car.

These types of projects are much more suited towards people who really fully understand what they’re getting into.......along with realistic expectations about what I car like that will actually be like to live with.

A used modern muscle car with some add-on boost is a much better recipe for success for the type of use and performance the OP is after.

Last edited:
I think the best idea is for the op to take a ride in a legit low 10 sec ride. Bet his expectations change.

Or drop $140,000 and put a Tesla S driveline in. Perfect for California.

Or drop $140,000 and put a Tesla S driveline in. Perfect for California.
There is literally a shop a block away from where I used to live that does nothing but those conversions. Most of thier work is old Buicks and VWs for some reason. :realcrazy:

But ok, say you're just a masochist, and don't mind swapping to dead shocks, the front and rear tires to skinnies and slicks, swap the third member to a 4.xx, and heat up a bottle for a 200 shot of spray. Is that a possible way to make it into the 10's?

Drop this sucker in it.....

New Price!!! 6.1 block sleeved down to 5.7. Neal heads. Molnar crank and rods. Comp solid roller cam with jesel lifters and rocker arms. Gibtec Pistons .9mm total seal rings. Ati balancer. Mezeire water pump. Custom aluminum oil pan. 5.7 showroom rated Hemi. NHRA rated at 296. Makes 540 torque and 704 hp. Fresh off dyno. Best parts money can buy. Professionally built by Jeff Taylor Performance. $26500.

77348306_10218412939212705_6610706064482500608_o.jpg

Drop this sucker in it.....

New Price!!! 6.1 block sleeved down to 5.7. Neal heads. Molnar crank and rods. Comp solid roller cam with jesel lifters and rocker arms. Gibtec Pistons .9mm total seal rings. Ati balancer. Mezeire water pump. Custom aluminum oil pan. 5.7 showroom rated Hemi. NHRA rated at 296. Makes 540 torque and 704 hp. Fresh off dyno. Best parts money can buy. Professionally built by Jeff Taylor Performance. $26500.

View attachment 1715432793

Not me , be the last dam thing on earth I`d give 26 grand for !

Man, i feel sorry for the OP. So much wild info in here. The OP didn't even originally mention money, yet everyone starts throwing out budgets. Money to some might be pennies to others.

Anyways here's my recipe, simple:
Stroker 440 (pick your cubes/stroke/deck combo of choice) lets say 550hp, being conservative.
Girdle, hard-block, aluminum rods, etc
Aluminum head of choice, 10.5 to 1
Largest hydraulic roller with wide lobe centers
Single plane intake with a bolt on EFI of your choice. I like Holley.
Biggest header you can fit, fenderwell, zoomies or whatever lol. 2 1/8 pipes would be nice.
300hp fogger, with a progressive unit, pilled down to 225ish
Tranny of choice, GOOD 10" converter for driving around.
3.55's with a 275. Stick an 8.8 under there just to make people who didnt think you could do it mad.
All the good stock suspension stuff. Its already been mentioned.
Strip the car, 2 buckets and thats it. 3200 lbs with you in it. Assuming 175 lb driver.

The magic calculator says 9.34 @ 145. Lets say hes conservative on the nitrous, and the motor isnt a "killer", hes still running low 10's.

Will be as comfy as your Cordoba? No
Will it get gas mileage like your Neon? No
Will they be able to hear you in the drive thru? No
Will you be able to drive around town a few nights a week on pump gas, throw some race gas in on the weekend, and whoop some tail? Yup...

Flame suit on....

Man, i feel sorry for the OP. So much wild info in here. The OP didn't even originally mention money, yet everyone starts throwing out budgets. Money to some might be pennies to others.

Anyways here's my recipe, simple:
Stroker 440 (pick your cubes/stroke/deck combo of choice) lets say 550hp, being conservative.
Girdle, hard-block, aluminum rods, etc
Aluminum head of choice, 10.5 to 1
Largest hydraulic roller with wide lobe centers
Single plane intake with a bolt on EFI of your choice. I like Holley.
Biggest header you can fit, fenderwell, zoomies or whatever lol. 2 1/8 pipes would be nice.
300hp fogger, with a progressive unit, pilled down to 225ish
Tranny of choice, GOOD 10" converter for driving around.
3.55's with a 275. Stick an 8.8 under there just to make people who didnt think you could do it mad.
All the good stock suspension stuff. Its already been mentioned.
Strip the car, 2 buckets and thats it. 3200 lbs with you in it. Assuming 175 lb driver.

The magic calculator says 9.34 @ 145. Lets say hes conservative on the nitrous, and the motor isnt a "killer", hes still running low 10's.

Will be as comfy as your Cordoba? No
Will it get gas mileage like your Neon? No
Will they be able to hear you in the drive thru? No
Will you be able to drive around town a few nights a week on pump gas, throw some race gas in on the weekend, and whoop some tail? Yup...

Flame suit on....
Others think they can buy an old 1980 pick up and get it done for less than $5,000 total including the pickup...
Toke.gif

10 second car is barely steerable. Why in the hell do you want to butcher your 68 barracuda fastback into that anyways. You will do that, then realize you built essentially a drag strip only car that's sucky and not very enjoyable on the street.

Just go buy a car that's already been back halved and butchered and stick licence plates on that one. I am currently reversing or unFucking a drag car back into a street car. Removing the butchered in spring relocators with dog **** welds, and making and splicing in decent frame rail sections. This thing also had butchered framerail flanges, and pop riveted in aluminum tubs etc. Car was/is a ******* mess. It will all get unFucked in due time.

Keep the stock motor, just regap the rings a bit and put a single turbo on it, very streetable and drive to the track race and drive home, plus you can drive it all around where ever you want. Lots of home made on the cheaper side combos on the forced induction.

Keep the stock motor, just regap the rings a bit and put a single turbo on it, very streetable and drive to the track race and drive home, plus you can drive it all around where ever you want. Lots of home made on the cheaper side combos on the forced induction.
Spun a rod bearing on the 340 that’s in the car the current plan is to do a 6.1 or a 6.4 swap and have good internals to add boost later on the car will also be getting a t56 around the same time, spun the bearing last weekend that was no fun

I’ve got a 68 340 barracuda with a 4 speed and 3.55 rear gear it’s got a cam just a touch above stock and x heads, also got an LD340 intake with carter 1406 afb carb basically a stock rig but also have the hi-po exhaust manifolds, I want to get this car into the 10’s and still be streetable, how would you guys go about this? I eventually may want to turn the car into a daily so if mpgs can be kept in mind with the aforementioned goal that would be a plus. I was thinking something along the line of turbos, overdrive and 2.91’s but I’m just spitballing and have no real knowledge of mechanics behind me

I am sorry I just recently started posting here on FABO and I didn't read this whole thread.

Gen III Hemi would absolutely be my choice. If you aren't too deep in small block parts already its where you need to go IMO. My small block 68 Barracuda has been 10.54 on 91 octane gas @3550lbs with driver. Its a 416" W2 headed R1 block with a healthy solid roller and an EFI Tunnel ram. The car does drive really good on the street but its got a really big cam for a street car. A similar CID gen III hemi would have a tiny camshaft by comparison and a stock hydraulic valve train that you wouldn't have to sweat. My Dad and I and pretty entrenched in small block parts but I always have my eye on a Gen III Swap lol.

I am sorry I just recently started posting here on FABO and I didn't read this whole thread.
A belated welcome the ! LOL!

Gen III Hemi would absolutely be my choice. If you aren't too deep in small block parts already its where you need to go IMO. My small block 68 Barracuda has been 10.54 on 91 octane gas @3550lbs with driver. Its a 416" W2 headed R1 block with a healthy solid roller and an EFI Tunnel ram. The car does drive really good on the street but its got a really big cam for a street car.
This sounds really cool. Are you using a MP-M1-TR?
And carb sizes if you would.
A similar CID gen III hemi would have a tiny camshaft by comparison and a stock hydraulic valve train that you wouldn't have to sweat. My Dad and I and pretty entrenched in small block parts but I always have my eye on a Gen III Swap lol.
I don’t fully agree with this but it is partially true due to the super excellent breathing heads, you can get away with less duration. Just lift that valve up high and those heads full air. Tiny cam? Hummm, no, smaller cam, yea.

Compare the W2’s flow rates vs the Hemi head.
Also, what size cam are you running in the W2.

And now that I think about it, does anyone know how easy or hard it would be to get a HEMI engines trans behind a LA? (Shifting gear issues aside...)

Everyday driver , low 10 second??? Take the Baracuda to your local Dodge dealership with an addition $20-40k and put down on a Demon, or buy a RedEye at a discount and send it to Hennesey....

Not a bad idea. But! Not helpful in a thread that is titled;

“How would you build a low 10’s street car”

Not a bad idea. But! Not helpful in a thread that is titled;

“How would you build a low 10’s street car”

He said he has no mechanical knowledge, saving him time...probably money and an avenue to achieve his goal. Demon will hold value where as a 10 second 68 Barracuda wont.

Its a Holley Pro Dominator Tunnel Ram I had converted to EFI. I run two 1000CFM throttle bodies.

Gen III Hemi is a Tiny cam in comparison to 600HP LA engines no doubt. Ray Meyers Gen III 67 Barracuda went 9.7X on drag week, pump gas, stock rockers, stock lifters. I want to say his cam lift was in the low .600s but I could be totally wrong.

My W2s flow something like 319@.700. My Cam is in the low .700s IIRC and duration is in the high 270s@.050. Comp spec'd it with some easier ramps for street use on my 10:1 416.

I feel it should be faster, its been a 1.411 60ft but only 125mph. I found some issues that I hope help pick it up. The timing chain was SMOKED, bad roller lifter, and the exhaust seats were beat out of it. All that is fixed and on paper should make it faster...but you know how hot rodding goes lol.

He said he has no mechanical knowledge, saving him time...probably money and an avenue to achieve his goal. Demon will hold value where as a 10 second 68 Barracuda wont.
That’s opinion and point of view not worth arguing it, again, that title says what now? For what car now?

@Bluecuda340 I understand what you mean and where your going with it. It’s really all in the head. Your max lift number is pretty good. If possible, compare the flow rates under the curve. (AKA The whole range)

That Hemi is a killer unit.

Did or has anybody seen any of Brett Miller’s ported HEMI head flow specs?

Good luck with the W2 issues. Yea! Hot Rodding and racing problems .... ugh! At least it is rewarding when you figure it out and get the pay off.

-
Back