hydraulic lifter noise

-
The MP P3412068 spring is a pretty high rate spring, and is way overkill for a cam using hyd lifters....... especially with what you get these days for hyd lifters.

The spring chart shows them as:
139@1.700
370@1.200
They show the rate as 484lbs/in, but the calculated rate based on their data points works out to 462lbs/in.
In any case..... it’s way way more than necessary.
For dual springs, the inner step needs to machined down flush to where the outer spring sits.

A much better match for that cam would be a Comp 995-16, set up at about 1.680” installed height.
It’s a dual as well, so it would also need the step machined on the heads.

The ID of the 995 is pretty small, so the valve guide tops would need to be machined for seals that have a smaller OD.

Last edited:
i went with these because they were the step up from max .500 lift springs. with my .508 cam i didnt want to take a chance with coil bind or maxing out the springs and having premature failure.

Oldkimmer is correct. If you have a spring that will take .600 lift and you are at .508 lift you are too far away from coil bind. You need to be closer to coil bind than you are. If you do a search for spring surge or even search for high speed video valve spring or something like that you will see what happens when you are set up like you are.

-
Back