I Am SO Tired Of This

-
It's the parents fault too, trying to make it easier than they had it, it just enables them to be sissy's.
Not to change the subject, but you bought up a good point. I went to high school in early 80's. In the student parking lot all you seen were 10-15 year old cars/trucks. Most of them were just beaters. Occasional hot rod, but even then it was normally a high mileage clapped out motor with a big cam so it sounded cool. Before I left AZ I lived near a high school. Was not a high $$$ area. Most of the homes were under 1800 square foot, average home price was in the 150-175k range. I drove past that school every day on the way to work. Seen mostly brand new cars, and not your entry level Sentra. That little hot rod Subaru was common, but there wa several Beemers, Cadys etc. There was even a lifted, 44" tired 4 door diesel in there. And these cars were there every day, do it is not like the kid borrowed it for the day. Do parents of today, parents of modest means, really buy there kids these kinds of cars for there first car?

Well, OCDart should be a little happier right now. It stopped raining for about the last three hours. The sidewalks and streets are starting to have dry patches. < snip >.

Yup, my dogs are happy..They got to go outside.

Bigger storm on the way, due to hit anytime (it's 12:00 hrs now) and the wind is picking up.

---

Yup, my dogs are happy..They got to go outside.

Bigger storm on the way, due to hit anytime (it's 12:00 hrs now) and the wind is picking up.

---
How strong are the winds? When I lived in AZ it was common to get a Microburst, damn things would tear stuff apart.....was in a grocery store one night when a Microburst passed thru, ripped off part off the roof and caused 3 trees to fall on what was left....

With all the comforts we have it baffles me that anyone thinks we are not a pampered people. If if you feel you're not, well okay. And I also don't understand how Europe relates to my simple comment that we live pampered lives in the U.S.

Awaiting abrasive response from you:toothy10:

where do you think toilets that wash yer *** for you came from?

I don't know much about the history of toilets, so I did some research. The toilets we use, the "non-wash-yer-*** type" were invented in Europe too, and most of the advances in design were made in Europe. So now I understand how Europe relates to this discussion. Europe is indeed to blame for our pampering. Personally I prefer not to squat over a hole in the ground, but that's just me:toothy10:

By the way, I see now the rain in Cali is no joke, hope you get through it safely.

How strong are the winds? When I lived in AZ it was common to get a Microburst, damn things would tear stuff apart.....was in a grocery store one night when a Microburst passed thru, ripped off part off the roof and caused 3 trees to fall on what was left....

55+ MPH in the foothills; severe gusts here in Huntington Beach are strong enough to knock off some big branches from the pine tress....Down the road a ways in Laguna Beach the damage is worse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...clared-rains-spark-mudslides-flood-roads.html

article-0-0C8EC77F000005DC-668_634x405.jpg

article-1340773-0C900556000005DC-493_634x406.jpg

article-1340773-0C907986000005DC-956_634x435.jpg

the rain has flooded my shop 2''-3''s deep...

To the north side of the shop is a low spot 20'x10' and it filled like a pool [1 1/2'' deep] and went through the wall/plate, so this morning I was skreeting it out and digging lil motes to direct it down the drive way.

Time to dig and install some drainage pipe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESYDjWrpbA"]YouTube - Albert Hammond - It never rains in Southern California 1973[/ame]

Ever been in a hurricane? How about 12" of rain in one day?

Who told you we are a neutral country? First I ever heard of it. We have troops in Afganistan right now. I know because my son just got back from there after a 7 month tour of duty.

Also remember, there has only been one country to truly defeat the U.S. in a war. Yup you guessed it, Canada. You better be careful. LOL

Jack

Are you referring to the War of 1812? Canada wasn't a country then, but a British territory. And as far as "true defeat," it can be argued both ways. Canada succeeded at pushing back the invading US, but the US was not "defeated" in a winner take all sort of way. The US was more defeated in vietnam than in was in 1812, so that sort of thows out the "only" part of your statement.

And you've got to admit that Canada's military is much smaller than it would need to be if the US wasn't policing all of North America.

the rain has flooded my shop 2''-3''s deep...

To the north side of the shop is a low spot 20'x10' and it filled like a pool [1 1/2'' deep] and went through the wall/plate, so this morning I was skreeting it out and digging lil motes to direct it down the drive way.

Time to dig and install some drainage pipe

Me too. I went outside to move the Duster from the side of the house and the backyard area in front of the car was pooling with about 3" - 4" inches of water. My next door neighbor was using a shop vac to remove the water from his room that is just on the other side of the cinder block wall that separates our properties. I grabbed a shovel and trenched some drainage paths. I got done just as the next big rain squall hit. The gutters were running 3 - 4 feet into the street with the amount of water that hit.

One thing people do not think of. California is a car centered state. They have cars from all ages running as daily drivers. Even the ones with open crank case ventilation. This leaves a oily trail on all the roads and when it mixes with rain it can be as bad as ice. And Californians have no idea how to drive that way.

Thank God there aren't many vehicles runnin' 'round on the roads here that still have Road Draft Tubes !
PCV has been required in Ca since the 1961 model year ( 1962 federal ) ; it was originally called "CCV" ( Crank Case Ventilator ), and was different from PCV ( Positive Crankcase Ventilator ) , as it was an "open" system , whereas PCV is a "closed" system .
I believe that 1966 was the first model year for PCV , as A.I.R. Pumps were introduced .

Many of the old(er) freeways / expressways still have their original cement surface , which consisted of a grooved surface ; all south west states had this style originally . This was done in order to help the oils and whatnot wash-off via these grooves .
It's not fun driving a vehicle with bias-ply tyres on these grooved roads !
There was a time when there existed "California" tyres , and "49 State" tyres , especially on motorcycles .

So , many of the old(er) vehicles seen are by-and-large powered by more-contemporary motors , replete with PCV .

Good point about 99% of drivers here : can't drive on dry pavement , let alone wet pavement !
As far as the amount of vehicles on our ( worn out , beat-up , unmaintained ) roads : 20lbs of **** , in a 5lb bag !

Guess what I just found out after things cleared up a bit around here. Every vehicle in the herd leaks. Big time. Got a puddle in the bottom of the Roadrunner that I just put carpet in. The carpet in the Val is a tad moist. The Missus's Grand Wagoneer is a mess. (Looks like the attatching points for the roof rack are no longer sealing). The only dry one in the crew is the beat up POS 76 GMC that I got for free.....
Next guess for double jeapordy? What's Hendo doing for his Christmas weekend?

Next guess for double jeapordy? What's Hendo doing for his Christmas weekend?
Strip naked and run thru a mall:toothy10::toothy10:? Water leaks suck. Had a w/s replaced years ago, after the third attempt of having the glass shop reseal it I gave up....

-
Back