I am suprised that this car is bid up this high

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a nice car. If it were mine, the 340-S emblems HAVE to go.

IMG_0507.jpg
I would pay 9000 for that car if I didn't already or wanted another dart .I tried to sell my dart for what I thought it was worth and was offered about 1000 less. I figured if somone really wanted the car they would pay what I thought it was worth. Now that I have gone through the whole drive trans I'm glad I didn't sell it or someone didn't buy it.

j061093409 - I really like the look of your swinger, do you have any more pics?

This car has been on ebay at least 3 previous times, looked at it back in July, buy it now is around 15,000.00 It never reaches that ...hence....that is why it is on ebay every month.

Its the details like the ones that have been mentioned here about that car is what makes it cheap. Correct the problems and take better pics, someone could make some money. Or someone will pay less for a good car that just needed some detailing. I have bought a few cars like this, it enables me to get into a car that I otherwise couldnt afford. One other way to look at it, if the seller/restorer cut corners in the engine bay what makes you think he didnt cut corners in the body work and paint? I have seen too many cars that look nice but after a few years all the mud and rust starts to show and when you strip it down it has chicken wire and duct tape over the massive amounts of rust! Buyer beware!

Dont even get me started about the ripoffjackson people!

You Have Too Much Time On Your Hands To Worry How Much Someone Sells Their Car For. One Cannot Put A Price On What Another Will Spend To Find Happiness. Keep Your Own Yard Mowed And Worry Not About The Next Man's Unless You Are Paying For It.

First, I did not get the comment about the 70 outer grille and the 71 inner grille. If that is about the blackout this was on 70 Swinger 340 cars and V8 cars. 70/71 grilles are the same. The guy notes the 'rare fresh air hood'. Did anyone else notice the fresh air holes are in the wrong place? They drilled them out at the back of the scoops instead of the front. What is with the emblem on the vinyl top on the c pillar. Did they have 70 Darts with medalions on the seats? I could go on as there are many items that are not right with the car. The guy did though list it as a tribute car. What would you pay to build a car like this? From the pics they spent some bucks on body prep and paint. I bet this car looks even better in person. If I was looking for a nice Dart this would be one for me to think about. I would though correct alot of things to bring it more in line with a real 340 car. There is a 340 Swinger near my house for sale now and its on Ebay too. Its green and its a 340 six pack car. Last I looked its a $7995.00 buy it now with reserve and the bid was in the high sixes and the car is a basic hack job. Look it up and check out the pics. There is not a straight panel on the car and lines dont line up well. Lots of gaps in the panels too. Yeah, this yellow car will sell if the reserve is not too high. I got a feeling its gonna be around 15K. If thats the case it may be listed for awhile but who knows. Of all I saw about this car some underside pics would have been nice. Whats under the trunk mat? Things like that. Its a sharp looking car though,
Chas.

from the research I have done all '70 cars had the painted fins on the grill and '71 cars did not, regardless if 340 or not. A lot of times when something got broken it was swapped out with the '71 stuff because that was what was available and most people don't notice.

Res, take a look at 70 cars. 6 cyl cars had the basic silver grille. 340 cars were mixed some with blackout and some without. Most 318 cars I have seen had blackout. As for 71 all models shared the blackout treatment. At least for the view from my end. My car had a silver grille on it but I blacked it out as I like this better. Not correct but it did not hurt the car either.
Chas

Uh, no Santa jokes, ok!!!

sonny acres pics 009.JPG

To me..an uneducated mopar guy, the car looks sweet. Period. Most owners really don't care if the inner grill and outer grill are the same year. We are going to do some weird things to our car. Why ? Because we can and because we like it...and the world doesn't need another matching numbers /6 :)

It is only the hard core steeped person that will argue that the tire stem valves are off a '72 and the car is a '71. This is not a mopar only thing either..you should hang with some of my brit car friends.

Life is too short. You can have a perfect trailer queen or a usable, most likely updated for safety , speed and looks, great usable classic to drive.

We got ours, not to be the first but to be the second. Which is better..neither..it is what it is..but please don't dump on our rides..it is much too fun of a hobby..

..hopping off the stump..rant over :)

Missing the Duster because it have been put up for the winter.

Thanks
Grassy.

How come a black car is had to keep clean and looing nice but, " black under hood, much easier to keep looking nice."? Black under the hood DE-values a Mopar. Do it if you want, but I don't consider buying a black under the hood mopar, and I am not a purest.

the car is listed as a Tribute Car, to me, that means that is was the way the owner thought they should be done. i may be way off base here, but i thought this "hobby" was about building what you want. one guy likes a black engine bay, another does not. so who is right? if it were being sold as a # correct car, the answer is obvious. if not, this is what the previous owner wanted, so be it. just because you don't agree with it does not make you right in this case. i have seen plenty of cars posted here that were painted some funky metal flake green or what have you (with the engine compartment painted the same color) and everybody on here looks at it and goes nice job. and then claim to be a purist. if that were true, you would be crucifying the guy with the green metal flake car, to the best of my knowledge Mopar never offered the car in that color, and then a purist is saying looks great. sounds a bit hypocritical to me. and everybody knows that accurate records from back then are next to non-existant, so to say that something is not right, especially when it comes to a bit of paint here or there i think is pushing it a bit. a friend bought a Ram Air Pontiac off of the original owner, swears that it cam off the lot like that. None of the Pontiac decoder books say it is so. Yet on the paperwork the original owner provided it clearly states the car was delivered with it, so who do you want to believe? the original paperowrk that was delivered with the car, or stuff from a book that someone might have forgot to put this info in? could be that the supposed incorrect parts were the only ones that the assembly line had to use and just needed to get the car off the line?

How come a black car is had to keep clean and looing nice but, " black under hood, much easier to keep looking nice."? Black under the hood DE-values a Mopar. Do it if you want, but I don't consider buying a black under the hood mopar, and I am not a purest.

Why, that's simple; All the oil/grease/crude that collects in the nooks and crannies under the hood shows up like a sore thumb on a light color where it's hidden by a low gloss black. If I had been thinking back in 2000 when I painted my Barracuda Sub-Lime I would have done the under hood black. After 60k miles it looks like hell and to fix it I will need to pull the engine which I am not ready to do at this time.

I have to laugh at the folks that say they wouldn't pay $9000 for that car because it isn't correct. My car is about as far from correct as you will ever get and I wouldn't dream of selling it that cheap. Even at twice that you would just be starting to get my interest in selling stirring. Are any of these cars really worth what the asking price is? With the fact that they 40 years old with metal fatigue and rust, I doubt it. But they sell for what people will pay for them. I don't crap on anybodies car. Most of us have put our heart and soul plus a boat load of money into them.

Off my soap box now.

Jack

i don't see it being worth that money. its at one of those dealers which most likely means it was thrown together with cheap and fast body and paint work. god knows what will be popping on that body in a year. would have to go ever that thing with a fine tooth comb before dropping anywhere near that money for that car. most likely shill bidding to get it at that price anyway.

i don't see it being worth that money. its at one of those dealers which most likely means it was thrown together with cheap and fast body and paint work. god knows what will be popping on that body in a year. would have to go ever that thing with a fine tooth comb before dropping anywhere near that money for that car. most likely shill bidding to get it at that price anyway.

Thank you Joe. My thoughts are the same, the purple one that someone else listed is a perfect example of a car that is worth a lot more then the yellow one, it's all in the details. For big money cars it is all about the details. (and if you care #s)

I am not trying to say Jacks car is worth any less because it's not stock, I am sure it was done very well and details were paid attention too. IMO thats what makes a car worth more or less, all the little things that add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back