I may not call it restoration but.........

-

missing linc

Loose nut behind the wheel
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been working on this 75 Dart Sport in my spare time over the summer, have made some progress but still have a ways to go. Have made some discoveries, good and not so good.....
1557615357110.jpg
1559012292833.jpg
20190817_140331.jpg
1567306210465.jpg

I was planning a fresh 360, but unfortunately the budget just isn't there. Found a complete low mileage, (58k) 360, with an LDB4 intake and 625 Carter on it for $750.00. Seller threw in the 727 trans, fixed yoke, short shaft, (came out of a mini motorhome)
1559256095756.jpg

I opened it up, super clean inside, no ridge on the cylinders, no sludge anywhere inside the engine
1559242929009.jpg

I stuck a fresh cam in it, new double roller chain, checked all bearing clearances, all are within spec, so now I just need to finish reassembling it and splash some paint on it.
I opened up the 8.25 rear end and found a new set of 4.10s, and a new Auburn sure grip unit, SCORE!
20190706_195024.jpg
20190706_195015.jpg

Today I decided to remove what a po had done for a trunk floor, as well as the 4 point cage, since I have no interest in that. Tin on the floor was barely tacked in, he had tiny sheet metal screws securing the fuel cell, I intend to return it to stock fuel tank, have already purchased a new one as well as the sending unit/pickup, 3/8 outlet. Now I need a trunk floor.
20190907_172558.jpg

That was what remained after I removed the first sheet, guess he had planned to set the fuel cell into the floor originally.

Check the pinion gear. It has backed out at some point and marked the carrier. you can see the marks in the center. Pinion nuts backing off is a common problem.

She ain't going to be pretty, but that's the idea, saw this 69 Camaro at a show this summer, right in line with what I want.
20190714_141157.jpg

Awesome stuff. Always amazed with seeing people do cutting and welding body work and knowing what they are doing when they open up engines!

Good Job!

Awesome stuff. Always amazed with seeing people do cutting and welding body work and knowing what they are doing when they open up engines!

Good Job!

Thanks, I have done lots of mechanical work over the last 45 years or so, but this is my first attempt at replacing a quarter panel, I'm happy with the results but it ain't gonna win any best in show awards. I'm ok with that.

Thanks, I have done lots of mechanical work over the last 45 years or so, but this is my first attempt at replacing a quarter panel, I'm happy with the results but it ain't gonna win any best in show awards. I'm ok with that.

Still it's impressive, I'm just reading and learning it all right now. Especially with having all the amazingly smart people on this site helping me out along the way.

I'm definitely right there with you not winning the best of shows! We can sit in the back of the shows where they put my beater and drink lots of beer while making fun of the ford guys though. :rofl: Heck I have a little dent behind my drivers side door that I still haven't gotten to finishing, even though I need to one of these days.

She ain't going to be pretty, but that's the idea, saw this 69 Camaro at a show this summer, right in line with what I want.View attachment 1715391142
Theres a youtuber that's called junkerup musclecars. Dude lives in Las Vegas. Is a 68-70 charger hoarder. Very talented doing sheetmetal work. Has a bunch of videos he did on a turquoise charger. He left the beat up outside, but restored the interior, engine compartment, trunk, underneath, driveline, everything but left the outer body sheetmetal alone with its original flaking paint. He mentions eventually repainting the outside in it's original turquoise color but for now is enjoying it as is. Even repainted the trunk jambs but taped off the edges so no overspray on the outer panels.

Lookin' good Randy.
I'll have to stop by soon and take a boo at it in person..........

Theres a youtuber that's called junkerup musclecars. Dude lives in Las Vegas. Is a 68-70 charger hoarder. Very talented doing sheetmetal work. Has a bunch of videos he did on a turquoise charger. He left the beat up outside, but restored the interior, engine compartment, trunk, underneath, driveline, everything but left the outer body sheetmetal alone with its original flaking paint. He mentions eventually repainting the outside in it's original turquoise color but for now is enjoying it as is. Even repainted the trunk jambs but taped off the edges so no overspray on the outer panels.

The Charger hog.:D

Are you interested in selling that LD4B ? An LD340 would prob be better on the 360 ports wise. PM me if you want to sell it.

I'm at a bit of a standstill now, my 340X heads are in need of some time in the machine shop, seats need help, and valve tips are mushroomed slightly, I suspect from the triple springs that were installed by the PO. Heads have bronze guides already installed, so that's a plus, but I am out of budget now. Thought I would use the stock 360 heads instead, at least to get it together, but have spent most of the day cleaning them up, found 1 broken bolt and 1 broken stud on the exhaust side of one head, not having great deal of success getting them out. Also PO had broken a stud and drilled it out well oversized on the other head, plus those threads are bad, may need a helicoil. Thinking I'd rather spend money on the X heads if I have no choice than to spend it on the stockers, so I may have to wait until next spring before I can afford to get them done and get the motor back together. Not an ideal situation but I can't spend a lot more at this point this year. Set of TTi headers cost me over $1250.00 after the damned currency exchange and shipping, plus all of the other parts I've bought this year. Thinking I might just take a step back and try to save some more $$ over the winter months. I will give some thought to selling the LD4B intake, but that means I will need to find another one as I have already sold the Victor 340 that came with the car. I was very happy with the Air Gap I had on my last small block.

Still hope to get the trunk floor done before old man winter sets in, at least then I can close it up secure and not have any unwelcome "tenants" finding shelter inside my car.

I'm afeered I'm gonna have to put a quarter on the left side of my Valiant, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. It ain't nuthin but a thAng, but it ain't happenin right now in this heat. I'm like you. I've done some bodywork in the past, but WAY more mechanical work. I think the best that's gonna happen with mine is, quarter repair panels both sides down low........but "we'll see". lol

Try your best not to put a helicoil in the hole where the stud is broke off. The 2 exhaust studs, one on either end of a small block head go into water jackets. I don’t know if you would be able to seal up a helicoil in one of those holes.

-
Back