I may not call it restoration but.........

-
Progress. Little or a lot is still progress. my old water pump had a pin hole corroded through the hose neck. I had another a neighbour gave to me,so i swapped it. No more leak.
its not uncommon for them to corrode and screws up the sealing surface. Some rebuilders use body filler to fill in the corroded parts, have seen a couple like that.

Looking good! I like her! Fellow beaker here! :thumbsup: I like the rat rod look. I think my next project thats what I'm gonna do. That engine is too pretty tho you gonna have to rub some grease or something in it! Haha Btw what headers are those? I like them alot better than mine

I used to couldn't STAND the beak cars, but they've slowly grown on me and I really like them now.

Good to see the progress, Randy.
I'll have to come over some time soon and check it out.
If you still need a pinion yoke, I probably have one in Cranbrook and I'm going there to get a few ***** and bits for my project car and some of the little things you still need in a few weeks.
Rome wasn't built in a day, keep up the good work and plug along when you can.
That's what I do...........

Last edited:
Looking good! I like her! Fellow beaker here! :thumbsup: I like the rat rod look. I think my next project thats what I'm gonna do. That engine is too pretty tho you gonna have to rub some grease or something in it! Haha Btw what headers are those? I like them alot better than mine

Thanks, I agree with the engine looking too good, thought about that after I painted it, lots of dust at work, rub some oil on it and take it there a few times, that'll help! LOL
Headers are TTi's, I had them on my last Dart, was really happy with them, fit really well, and never leaked, but damn they ain't cheap!

Last edited:
Good to see the progress, Randy.
I'll have to come over some time soon and check it out.
If you still need a pinion yoke, I probably have one in Cranbrook and I'm going there to get a few ***** and bits for my project car and some of the little things you still need in a few weeks.
Rome wasn't built in a day, keep up the good work and plug along when you can.
That's what I do...........

You're welcome to come by and check it out, you know where I live.
I got a new yoke from The Gear Center, cheap actually, only $75. Still need the door rubber seals.

I used to couldn't STAND the beak cars, but they've slowly grown on me and I really like them now.
When I met my first wife, I had a 1970 Dart Custom, and she had a 1975 Dart Swinger, 318 2 bbl/904. It wasn't running, she had been told it needed a complete new wiring harness, I had it running in a couple of hours, was a fun car until her son wrapped it around a pole.

When I met my first wife, I had a 1970 Dart Custom, and she had a 1975 Dart Swinger, 318 2 bbl/904. It wasn't running, she had been told it needed a complete new wiring harness, I had it running in a couple of hours, was a fun car until her son wrapped it around a pole.

Whoops. Hope he wasn't hurt.

Progress. Little or a lot is still progress. my old water pump had a pin hole corroded through the hose neck. I had another a neighbour gave to me,so i swapped it. No more leak.
its not uncommon for them to corrode and screws up the sealing surface. Some rebuilders use body filler to fill in the corroded parts, have seen a couple like that.

Pump is a new Gates one, have a new Dayco hose, will put it on in a day or two, if not I have another pump.

Whoops. Hope he wasn't hurt.

No, he was okay, found out later that he had let his new girlfriend drive, and she hit the pole, his buddy suffered a fractured tibia though. The car was insured in my name and I refused to make a claim, but I did make him help me strip it before I took it to the scrapyard.

Pump is a new Gates one, have a new Dayco hose, will put it on in a day or two, if not I have another pump.
Gates seems to make good products. Hope the new hose solves it.

20200829_153233.jpg
20200829_153306.jpg

As promised, some current pictures.

20200829_162652.jpg
20200829_162648.jpg

This air cleaner came with my engine, had a 440 decal on it and a crappy blue paint job when I got it, decal came off while I was cleaning off the blue paint. Anyone know what it would have been from originally, so I can get a new filter for it, I plan on using it for the time being at least.

View attachment 1715586489 View attachment 1715586490
This air cleaner came with my engine, had a 440 decal on it and a crappy blue paint job when I got it, decal came off while I was cleaning off the blue paint. Anyone know what it would have been from originally, so I can get a new filter for it, I plan on using it for the time being at least.
Motor home air cleaner that someone cut the snorkels off. You can cut the snorkels off of a pair of slant six or 2 barrel air cleaners and tack weld them to fix this unit (they all had the same size of snorkels) or run it as is. This is a good air cleaner worth fixing or using.

Wix 42044 should fit. Most dual snorkels 70 and up used the the same filter into the 80s

Motor home air cleaner that someone cut the snorkels off. You can cut the snorkels off of a pair of slant six or 2 barrel air cleaners and tack weld them to fix this unit (they all had the same size of snorkels) or run it as is. This is a good air cleaner worth fixing or using.

Wix 42044 should fit. Most dual snorkels 70 and up used the the same filter into the 80s
I need one of those air cleaners they are surprisingly hard to find!

I thought it probably came from a motorhome, thanks for the response, and a part # to boot! You rock PV!

Turns out that the same air filter is used in the original air cleaner too, according to Rock Auto's catalog.

Well, I have been able to find the source of the water leak, turns out that the dumb bastard who assembled the engine forgot to completely tighten the bolt on the lower timing cover, behind the pump inlet, d'oh!!!
Anyway I have filled the cooling system with water and it has not leaked for 6 or 7 days now. Got a 1 inch carb spacer today, downloaded the instructions to wire the MSD box, cleaned up the carb, now get the carb rebuilt and then I should be able to fire it up. I hope.

I spent a good part of yesterday rebuilding the carb,and today getting the bugs worked out and around 1 this afternoon I was able to get it fired up! I did have a few issues with the timing and idle mixture, still not satisfied with it entirely, but glad it's finally running.
It seems pretty healthy, but has a more noticeable idle than my last 360, same cam specs, may just need to do more tuning. Oil pressure is 60 psi idling hot.:thumbsup:
So far so good. No fluid leaks, definitely an exhaust leak at the right side collector to the pipe, but I expected it, pipe didn't line up very well with the header. Still have to get some seats in it and work on the other issues.

I spent a good part of yesterday rebuilding the carb,and today getting the bugs worked out and around 1 this afternoon I was able to get it fired up! I did have a few issues with the timing and idle mixture, still not satisfied with it entirely, but glad it's finally running.
It seems pretty healthy, but has a more noticeable idle than my last 360, same cam specs, may just need to do more tuning. Oil pressure is 60 psi idling hot.:thumbsup:
So far so good. No fluid leaks, definitely an exhaust leak at the right side collector to the pipe, but I expected it, pipe didn't line up very well with the header. Still have to get some seats in it and work on the other issues.
Nothing better than hearing that first start up.
Your doing a great job my friend keep it up...

-
Back