I need some perspective... (long story)

-

Dartthunder340

Reaction score
So my wife is concerned she may be loosing her job at the end of the year. She is a teacher and has been with this district for 10 years. Anyhow, I don't want to come off like a heartless asshole and based off of my past experience I don't feel the need to be loyal to your employer if they can't reciprocate. I say this as I was laid off 3 years ago, so I just went into buisness to compete with them. Granted, I'm not a teacher and I also think I'm obviously biased towards her. She is not involved with the union. I plan on telling her everything will be okay, because it will be, I have faith. Things will be fine, a little stressful, but fine.

I want to tell her IF this happens, we will file for unemployment and just go from there. I guess I'm not totally sure what my point is, I'm just typing. But the school conducts buisness the way it feels it needs to, and I will do likewise for my family. I guess I feel like 'okay, you are unemployed, that does not mean you are not employable. It was better for me in the long run. But, that was me in my situation. My former employer is a better company without me, and I am a better person without that company.'

Sorry this is long. Am I way off base? How should I approach my wife? Anything to offer? I mean nothing has happened yet, I would just like to support you know? Thanks F.A.B.O. I appreciate it.

Your wife should start applying at other schools,just incase.Why does she think she,ll be losing her job?

I think your thinking is fine and I agree.

She could follow suite and list her strong points out on paper, then tutor those in need.
Be a sub teacher until a regular job hits.

I wouldn't be sad, just danm mad.

Encouragement for your wife in her uncertain situation is what she needs right now. You are correct in the statement that she IS employable. Even if she decided to get into another profession. As for the school, nothing is guaranteed in any position these days. It sucks and I feel your pain. My wife is kind of in the same boat with her job. But the good thing is you will have the unemployment if she is laid off and she can always look into the option of free retraining programs offered by the unemployment office at one of your local community colleges. I will be praying for you. Hope this helps. - Tom (maniac)

Good words Tom. I was thinking about schooling, but if ya gotta pay for it in anyway upfront and theres a lack of funds to start with....

Your wife should start applying at other schools,just incase.Why does she think she,ll be losing her job?

Pettybluedart,
She noticed a change in upper managment actions. Now I'm not there to see this so I don't know. I think the thing is that she is worried and I don't want to have it consume her. You know? At this point you are doing nothing but jumping to conclusions on something that has not even happened yet.
I really do understand where she is coming from, I do, and I know inside she is trying to be prepared in the event it comes to an end. I just keep drawing off of my own experience which may or may not be the correct parallel to draw from. I mean I still harbor some resentment, but in the end I owned up to my responsibility for my actions and when I made the decision to speak, I told them what the needed to hear, not what they wanted to hear. Ultimately it is not about me. I wanted to hear some other points of view here, because I know I would play it differently than her.

You asked for opinions,I gave mine.It,s obvious your wife has a gut feeling or has kinda been given a hint that she,ll no longer be needed.Hope all works out.

I also teach, and my hours have been severally reduced. Why I am bring this up, because I find that a lot employers today don't seem to care about what happens to there employees, or to the families that are attached to that person. My wife lost her job after 11 1/2 years, all because the new boss wanted his own person to do her job, rude to say the least. I also feel that if your wife loses her job, she needs to look at what she has accomplished and add it to her resume. Starting over is always a major stresser, my wife for example has taken this time of being unemployed and is trying to get her own business off the ground, not saying your wife should do the same, but what I am saying is if she is a teacher she will have a valued skill set, and maybe she could start her own business. Your wife could start a tutoring business, god knows our children could use a place they can go and find a caring person who understands and can help them with their academics. Also if she finds herself unemployed take advantage of unemployment, the time your wife is on i,t is a good time to look at herself and prepare herself for a new beginning. It sounds like you are a very good husband, you came here and asked for advice about something that is a big impact on both of your lives, most people don't ask or just plain assume that everything will be ok. Your being proactive and that is the best you can do at this time. I wish you and your wife the best, if there is anything we can do, let us know......

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the discussion. We will see how this boils down. Like I said things will be fine one way or the other. Thanks for the prayers too, Dartthunder340.

I am also a teacher who left education 8 years ago. I have been trying for months to get back into as I was laid off at the local hospital last Oct. Even with 14 years experience and great recommendaions I have been unable to land a teaching job. My niece who just graduated from a Masters in Education can't find a job. I'm very close to vowing to never work for anybody again and just do my own thing.

Your wife needs to join the Union as soon as posssible, I sure that legal representation is one of the benefits of the Union. The fact that your wife has 10 years satisfactory experience will be a plus in any dealings.

I was there in 2010 having lost my job and not knowing what to do. I had the option of being in my profession for many years so even though I have only been in N.C. for 3 yrs. I was able to literally scratch together enough cash to get the van and apply for my business license and get my business insurance policy. I spent $800.00 on a 23 year old Chevy Van that I still use today to do my work. And I busted my butt to try to get enough references and business contacts to be able to score my contract. I still am not getting rich but at lease I am my own boss and I can be as prosperous as I try to be.It's still a struggle every day though.

Its a tough time to be a teacher, we are treated like cattle and the we are esasily replaced. Then districts wonder why test scores drop? When you let go people who have the passion to teach then you lose a lot. From personal evperience I got the axe this March so as a non tenure teacher I get the royal screw, but things will be better. I just enrolled in computer programming courses at the Community College and hope to be done in a year. Good luck to you and your family too, a person that can teach can do anything!

There is no such thing as "loyalty to the employee" any more, but the employee is frowned upon by the employer if they don't jump through hoops for them. I've been in the same situation (layed off) 3 times in the last 7 years. I know I'm what they call "the older employee" (60), and must employers consider that age area a liability. They supposedly cannot discriminate due to age, but lets face it, when you have as much gray hair as I do, they know you aren't a 30 year old. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy my chosen profession and I like being in the field, not an office. And, luckily the telecommunications area I work in always has room for experienced techs in the field.

-
Back