I saw the future on the highway yesterday. (Vision?)

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
No wait, that’s an SUV.
(Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin) :read2:

I mean this yellow thing.
I do like the color.
It was going pretty fast.
Had to catch it.

Yuck, Smart Car... Canada is over run with those things after only 4 years of sales. An accident involving my Ramcharger and a Smart Car would be much like a field goal kick I'd imagine! ;)

Yup, I see those around here all the time. There is no way that I would ever drive on the highway in one of those. Not much metal there to protect you compared to my Ram 1500 4x4. From what I have been able to find out about them, they don't get that much better gas mileage and cost much more than an Echo or something like that.

Jack

For the price, 15-18k I'm told, I could have a real nice smallblock A-body that gets about the same gas mileage, is safer & wil appreciate in value.

Atleast it has a loud paint color. Caution yellow says please dont kill me with your SUV. LOL

If I had to drive an "efficient" car, it would be one of these electrics by Chrysler:

5818a9a03c2b433790dfe5bf253bebbe.jpg

0790d2380e2e42fa9369f004b0745ba5.jpg

I could totally rock a Smart.
I've seen them up close, and they are really nice inside.
They are really safe too, despite their size.
I would have to get a Brabus tuned one when they come out.

But I'm planning on getting a new Dodge Challenger 6-speed instead, either an
R/T or an SRT8.
Because I'm stupid.
Here's the proof:

Current Daily Driver: 34.5 year old V8 musclecar with a 650cfm carb that gets about 12mpg.
Track car: 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo Nissan that gets 32mpg.

For the price, 15-18k I'm told, I could have a real nice smallblock A-body that gets about the same gas mileage, is safer & wil appreciate in value.

Can't imagine an A-body getting 33/41 mpg, but the starting price of a Smart is $13.5K, that will get you a Civic that seats 4, gets the same mileage and will not require premium fuel.

There is someone at YMCA I go to that has one. I can't imagine once the novelty wears off they will last long with out improving the mpg significantly or lowering the price to the $10k range. There certainly is no compeling reason to get one.

I can't stand the look of them but I've seen them in accident testing and they are amazing. Also the gas mileage is way higher than what you guys are throwing out there, 48 city, 67 highway, about 57 average. Someone my wife works with has one and commutes 70 miles and burns about a gallon each way. You would have to push your A-body most of the way to get that mileage :-D

I can't stand the look of them but I've seen them in accident testing and they are amazing. Also the gas mileage is way higher than what you guys are throwing out there, 48 city, 67 highway, about 57 average. Someone my wife works with has one and commutes 70 miles and burns about a gallon each way. You would have to push your A-body most of the way to get that mileage :-D

Are you sure that not kilometers per gallon?

Yup I'm sure, we measure kilometers per litre but I'm old so I haven't got a clue what that really means, I'm still a miles per gallon guy :-D The woman my wife worked with lived in Nanaimo which is 68 miles from Victoria and she said it was about a gallon each way. I found this site on it:

http://www.nd.edu/~techrev/Archive/Winter2002/a3.html

Yup I'm sure, we measure kilometers per litre but I'm old so I haven't got a clue what that really means, I'm still a miles per gallon guy :-D The woman my wife worked with lived in Nanaimo which is 68 miles from Victoria and she said it was about a gallon each way. I found this site on it:

http://www.nd.edu/~techrev/Archive/Winter2002/a3.html

Wow, that is impressive. I am a little worried that Michael Jackson has one though......

I have yet to see one around this part of the woods.:dontknow:
What I have been seeing is allot of dualpurpose 250 cc bikes getting
the 100 mile to the gal. and its not a big brand bike.:-k
New 1600 dollars.
They work out good for the folks around here that just need to get
some where just to visit and store runs with out fireing up the truck or car,
County roads and small hwy's.
Here in the country side of town anyway.:-D

They are really safe too, despite their size.
Really you think so? so say that guy on the highway has a blowout and hits the ditch or a tree or whatever. hmm 70 mph to what 5? your dead anyways you just leave a pretty corpse. I saw a british tv show compare a smart to a similar sized lada and the smart hitting a 45 degree angled wall came to a damn near dead stop, you can have as solid of a cage as you want but your insides would go to mush hitting something like a wall at 70 and basically stopping dead. the lada hit the wall and kept rolling you'd be seriously injured but alive. I'll take injury over certain death thank you very much.

I have yet to see one around this part of the woods.:dontknow:
What I have been seeing is allot of dualpurpose 250 cc bikes getting
the 100 mile to the gal. and its not a big brand bike.:-k
New 1600 dollars.
They work out good for the folks around here that just need to get
some where just to visit and store runs with out fireing up the truck or car,
County roads and small hwy's.
Here in the country side of town anyway.:-D

What brand bike Mike? I'm curious.

there are tons of those smart cars in bc, ive seen a lot on the island too. i too saw a show on discovery channel where they took a smart car and a pontiac firefly or something of the sort (suzuki swift, chevy spring, etc) and drove both at the same speeds same everything into a barrier. the firefly was badly damaged, but the engine didnt come through the firewall. the smart car's engine came through the firewall and would have crushed the driver bad, paralyzed him or whatever, but the doors still opened or something. i'd rather have trouble opening my door than be paralyzed..

plus IMO i think theyre ugly as sin.

It is a diesel? Well that is good and bad. Diesels get good MPG but diesel full is gitting expensive. Here in SoCal 91 is about 4$ and diesel is 4.5$!

I don't know. It does not look so smart to me.

Just wondering... You guys think the gearheads in the late 50's thought the same thing when the Valiants, Darts, Corvairs, and Falcons were coming out?

kid, that is a funny way to look at things but I have to think you're right. Pretty soon you'll see 'uge turbo kits and 24" spinners on them, although I imagine it would be hard to put in a couple of 15" subs.. so who is going to be the first poster on
F.or
S.mart
C.ars
O.only?
...back to reality, auto makers have a hard time trying to satisfy the die hard fans of a particular line and those of us with mopar in our blood are the worst.
We live in a world where people buy a phone or other nonsensical crap based on what color it comes in or accessories you can get for it....put 20 cup holders and a dvd nav system with bluetooth and the sheeple of the world would buy a pink metallic cardboard box!....and the rest of them are up in arms about gas prices but still roll out of the dealer in an escaladition... nuf said..I do believe that I just called that car nonsensical :)

who's next in line for the soap box? :lol:

No soap box for me. Despite the fact that diesel fuel is about .75 cents more a gallon around here it's still cheaper for me to drive my 4wd 2500 Cummins than it was to drive my old v10 2wd 3500.

My future exwife also has a diesel Jetta 5 speed that gets over 44 mpg in combined driving.

Myself I'm looking for an old Hyundai Elantra or Accent to drive back and forth to work. Something that gets around 30 or more mpg.

-
Back