ID this steering linkage please

-

billytuffnuts

Reaction score
Got this steering linkage with a v8 k frame. It came off a 67-68-69 Dart I'm pretty sure. The pitman arm and idler arm are longer than on my 72 Demon (power steering). The centerlink is also slightly different. The mounting holes for the tie rods are rotated 90* from the pitman/idler mounting holes, unlike my 72 center link.

The pitman arm says "POWER" on it so I assume its a p/s linkage.

Is the linkage anything special or what?

parts 018.jpg

parts 019.jpg

parts 017.jpg

That center link looks correct for 72 and older but from what you said about your current center link, I'm thinking you may have a late 72 or a 73+ k-member and steering setup in your car now.
I'm just guessing at this point :lol:
My 73 /6 has the idler hole parallel to the tie rod hole and one I have from a 72 duster has the idler hole perpendicular to the tie rod hole ( just like the one in the pic )

Before 73 the pitman arm would drag the grease fitting on the ground. 73 and later drags the nut on the ground ( OUCH ! LOL ). Just another reference to sort it. Hope it helps

After doing some research it seems you are right. I was under the impression that the steering linkage I have was original to the car (72) as the K frame is original (biscuit mount not spool).

But heres the thing...

73+ p/s gear boxes should have the large sector shaft correct? Well it seems that both pitman arms actually fit on my gear box. So I have a 73+ pitman arm that is the same diameter of the earlier pitman arm???

It looks like you have '73 up style idler and pitman arms and a '67/'72 style center link. You want the center link with all the the tapers in line to use with those arms.

-
Back